Teleportation deprecated

by Apriori

[OUTDATED] Look for Teleportation_Redux by Silari. Devices for the teleportation. Techs for mid- and late-game. You can teleport either to the special beacons or as far as you see (also usable in zoom-ro-world mapview). You can also use Telelogistics part after both enabling it through the in-game mod settings menu and researching the technology. Just place a Teleprovider, press R on it and select a destination Beacon. Need feedback about telelogistics energy cost.

Content
6 years ago
0.14 - 0.16
Transportation

a 0.17 ToDos

5 years ago

I'd like to get some feedback from you guys. So please help. Here's a list of to-dos for .17-compatible version:
1. Fix a bug when sometimes being stuck in a beacon.
2. Fix a list going outta screen when the number of beacons is too large. I think I'll wrap it into a scrollbar. Remove an option allowing to configure a page size. Remove pagination buttons.
3. Reduce a height of a list item.
4. Make a progressbar coloured, representing charging stages: red for non-usable, yellow for a single use, green for availability to be used >=2 times.
5. More configurable options: costs, list height, ... what else?
6. Search and filter beacons in a list.
7. Categorising of beacons in a list. Your suggestions of a UI are welcome, guys! Use your imagination and Paint.NET =)
8. Implement telelogistics cost. Your suggestions of math are welcome!
9. Ability to mark beacons on a map in an individual way: some may be visible and some may not.
10. Will try to implement drug and drop as a reorder mechanics for a list. Not sure it's possible.

5 years ago

I am very much looking forward to the 0.17 update here, one of the few must-have mods preventing me from upgrading my savegame. I love the ideas proposed but my vote would be to get a minimal 0.17 compatible release out quickly and then have these great improvements come in an incremental release after, just so that the wishlist does not prevent us playing in the meantime! :) Thanks for the excellent mod.

5 years ago

Agreed. Go 0.17 fast, THEN make it nice. If anything, fix the bugs (1 only, 2 is already not game breaking), but even that - just get it working ;)

5 years ago

I attempted to upgrade it myself in the meantime, the science pack changes are easy enough, but unfortunately it looks like the UI code needs some updates ("monolith" compositions are gone) and I didn't find any mod reference explaining possible upgrade paths.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I managed to get it working with 0.17 (I used code from Creative Mod to fix the monolith composition issue). I'm happy to provide the changed source to @Apriori for quick release.

5 years ago

If you wouldn't mind sharing your changes I'd love to test them while waiting for Apriori's release!

5 years ago

Awesome, I read the Creative Mod source and hacked together an update.

5 years ago

I think just get 0.17 out ASAP & then get pretty later. Great mod that I wont go without.

5 years ago

I also agree that you should get it working first and then make it pretty and squash bugs later.

5 years ago

This branch has my changes, in case anyone is brave and desperate enough to try them.
https://github.com/KirillNaumkin/Teleportation/pull/7

5 years ago

Apriori, how's it coming? Any progress?

5 years ago

Any progress. I'm just getting to the stage in my latest factory where I will need & can get teleportation.

5 years ago

@denebarry I'm going with the Avatar mod till this is fixed. Avatar is a very unique spin on the whole teleportation thing. Maybe this will meet your needs as well.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Avatars

5 years ago

Anything new on this? This is the main mod I'm waiting on to upgrade fully to 0.17

5 years ago

I'd say go ahead and upgrade. Between Avatars and Aircraft, rapid transport needs are easily met. Though I do hope Apriori still plans on updating this.

4 years ago

Plisss update do 017

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

As far as energy cost is concerned, I'd say there are two considerations: distance and mass. Now, depending on how exactly the teleportation is accomplished, distance might not be an issue (for example, if small wormholes are being generated, then distance is irrelevant, at least for fixed base-stations). However, if what we have is more Star Trek-like, then distance does matter; a distance-squared dependence for the energy cost would be appropriate and would encourage players to consider how important it was to be somewhere instantly.

The player's inventory should also play a role (teleporting more mass should require more energy). It might be prohibitive to assign an effective mass value to every item in inventory, so the number of items and occupied slots could be an ok proxy. Likewise, the occupied slots of the player's armor grid could also be considered. So, the required energy should have some kind of linear dependence on occupied slots and total items.

Finally, there should always be a minimum energy for a teleport.

Putting this all together with some numbers: If we simply assume that teleportation is about 10x faster than going by train, then the player's effective velocity is ~1 km/s. Assuming the player is 100 kg including their starting clothing and equipment, it'd take 50 MJ to get them up to that speed, and another 50 MJ to decelerate at the end. So, the basic minimum teleportation cost could be 100 MJ. Let's say that this is the minimum energy required to teleport the player up to 10 chunks, and that the cost goes as the square of the number of 10-chunk distances. And, let's say that every occupied inventory slot adds up to 5 kg to the player's mass, and every occupied equipment grid slot adds 10 kg to the player's mass. Then a fully loaded player (12 filled inventory rows, 10x10 filled equipment grid) would have an effective mass of 1700 kg, and require 1.7 GJ to teleport up to 10 chunks. More precisely, we have the following formula:

Energy (MJ) = (100 + 10 * (# filled equipment slots) + 5 * (# filled inventory slots)) * ((distance in chunks)/10)^2

The only problem is that the teleporter would need a massive internal buffer in order for this to work; a solution might be to have a second building (Teleporter Capacitor) that would give all teleporters in the same electrical network an increased buffer to draw upon.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

An addendum to the previous comment: an extra cost could be incurred when switching surfaces, for example when switching between planets with the Space Exploration mod installed (Space Exploration seems to have a concept of distance between surfaces, so that value could be used as the basis for the extra cost). Alternatively or additionally, there could be a mod option to disallow teleportation between surfaces (restricting teleportation networks to the same surface) or only allow teleportation when surfaces are sufficiently close together (to use another Space Exploration example, if you are on a ship in orbit around a planet, you could teleport between the ship and the planet (Star Trek-style), but not between the planet and its moon).

If a square is 1 m, then 10 chunks is 320 m, and 10000 chunks is 320 km (a good low orbit). Then, using the above formula, the minimum energy for a one-way teleport between a planet and orbit would be 100 TJ, or 1250 U235 (one-third of that if all reactors have a 200% neighbor bonus). It's a steep price to pay, but probably has similar complexity to launching a rocket in Space Exploration when uranium mining and refining, and teleporter capacitor construction are taken into consideration. Possibly, a long-range teleporter pad would be desirable, with a 100 chunk minimum distance, and a 1 GJ minimum energy; then the cost to teleport to/from orbit would be decreased by a factor of 10 (to just 10 TJ or 125 U235).

New response