Timelapse Base Edition (TLBE)

Takes screenshots of your base at specified intervals.

Utilities
5 months ago
0.18 - 1.1

g Lag

1 year, 5 months ago

Would be nice if my game would not freeze every second
i set speed to 60 and framerate to 1, so now my game just freezes every 60 minutes
but would be great if you could make it so that it doesnt freezes at all
my computer is high end, and the save i tested this is just a few hours old, so thats definitly not a problem

1 year, 5 months ago

Hello,
The mod is using the screenshop functionality provided by Factorio, it is not possible to render the screen directly from the/a mod. SO there is not much I can do, except offer some insights on making screenshots.

The screenshot needs to be (re)rendered separately from the game you are playing itself. So for each screenshot the game has to do extra work.
Depending on the zoom factor the screenshot slows down the game, the further zoomed out the more tiles and entities need to be rendered (fetched from memory, sprites being looked up, drawn, etc). So decreasing the area to take screenshots of, will reduce the latency of rendering the screenshot.
Reducing the resolution helps (a bit) as well, since it requires less pixels to be rendered.

If you feel making the screenshots takes too long (new game, small area, etc), I think it would be better to ask on the official Factorio forums and/or file a bug report (after asking around to the experts over there).

1 year, 5 months ago

okay, i understand
would it be possible to just record a video of the whole map in like 0.1 fps?
i dont really know how it works, but maybe this would remove the small lag spikes
or maybe give the screenshots a small puffer of +/- 10 seconds, for example if i choose to make a screenshot every 60 seconds, the program starts to check at like 50 seconds, if i open my inventory, and if i dont open it, it makes a screenshot at 70 seconds
could be helpful, cause you dont really notice the lag if youre in your inventory

1 year, 5 months ago

Whilst I understand where your idea is coming from, this will still not solve the issue with the screenshot lag spikes.

One way to circumvent this would be to split up the screenshots and only screenshot a part of the base per game tick.

My mod "screenshot toolkit" offers exactly this, although it lacks a lot of other features vegers mod offers. This might be an alternative for you if you can live with the way simpler UI my mod provides. Also, you need to stitch those fragments back together using one of the three different programs users and me have written so far.

1 year, 5 months ago

would it be possible to take a screenshot of the map instead? should be definitly less laggy, even with megabases

1 year, 5 months ago
(updated 1 year, 5 months ago)

@Anders142536 Nice tool you made, excelent for large(r) maps.

Factorio (and thus TLBE) has a maximum zoom factor, it is not possible to zoom further out. But by making multiple screenshots and stiching them together theis issue can be circumvented :)

1 year, 5 months ago

ah okay, i didnt know that
anyways thank you for the fast replies and the mod, seems like i need to live with the lags :)

This thread has been locked.