Story Missions - [Scenario Pack]

New campaign mod for Factorio contains a total of 10 full scripted missions. Each mission has a series of mandatory and optional tasks. You can enjoy more than 20 hours of pure gameplay and lore-friendly story about YOU, the engineer who survived the harsh conditions of the unknown planet where crash-landed years ago. How to play? Just install and then click on NEW GAME button. You will see missions in the menu. For more info, check the mod portal. Locales: EN,CZ,SK,RU,DE,PL,KO,FR,ES,CN

Scenarios
11 months ago

g time taken and a little feedback (contains spoilers)

2 years ago

I think I was playing on version 1.0.5

mission one took me about 4 hours, mostly because the goal kept moving forward, little frustrating to get blue science as I just didn't scale thinking 'oh it's going to be over in the next couple minutes, why would I need a whole setup when I can just spaghetti to the objective'.
mission two took me a little over an hour, making and building the pumpjack is not an issue, running them for a period of time probably would but mission was done. (on old version didn't need to get all the way to laser turrets, was going to suggest an objective to fill a tank for the base)
mission three around an hour, don't remember exactly, but I rushed forward neglecting my base, with surgical strikes against power poles + SMG outranging gunturrets carrying me through (and wooden boxes for the landmines, such a valuable tool in my arsenal), with the starting gun turrets getting damaged when I needed to push through some laser damage to get rid of their power. placing boxes where their gunturrets stood to repurpose their ammo against them.
mission four was a blast, going out scavenging for supplies, not sure how quickly I went through it, but I nicked the tank when it wasn't an objective yet.

mission five took me 4 hours and 5 minutes (getting rid of the artillery), starting out with just a minute of repairing what I could and then going on a quick sabotage trip to wreck the rails everywhere and a single belt of iron ore to stop the main pirate base from getting it (not sure why, but seemed like fun), then back to base to fix up what I could, set up the train going south and get that sparse broken patch of iron south east so I could get military science fixed. With a smg, rocket launcher and flamethrower-turrets (and 2 rescued laser turrets) I went on my assault, repurposing the explosives in the pirate main base for my rockets and using their own oil lines against their artillery turret (tough bastards with 5k health) and their power supply for my rescued lasers. Rockets are great at taking out powerlines, 2 hits against gunturrets and flamethrowers could be dodged. All in all fun to let me play my own way, shame biters don't attack pirates, but they also didn't bother me too much as I was keeping my pollution down with solar panels and not doing a lot of science.
reloading my last save of mission five, I see the new objective and I'm just gonna say "no", I got to here http://prntscr.com/1syc3xf opened the editor to see how I was expected to get to the objective with resource-barren biter-dense landscape in between me and it and explored. http://prntscr.com/1sy6sai
I suggest a train with a cargo of power armor mk2 (and accessories) to arrive south of the oil outpost as a sponsor after taking out the artillery threats or getting told the location of a cache or lab or exile.

In total I guess it took me 12 hours.

2 years ago

Hi again, thank you for feedback :D. It's great how you managed to solve all the missions. I'm glad you like it.
I agree some things could be done better, I had mostly problem with my limitation of knowledge the LUA codes.

There are lots of changes after patch 1.0.5 solving some issues you had during the missions. Also I started working on another 5 missions and mission 6 is already designed (now I'm working on scripting).

If you have some recomendation or ideas, you can post it here ;-)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I agree, mission 1 is super tedious because you're put in a tiny base, no resources, so you end up with no production capacity and have to babysit your military and chemical sciences for 2 hours while doing nothing else because the alternative is rebuilding your entire base. Seriously. The intro missions and the old old missing last mission from it are paced so much better, this issue doesn't exist there at all. Otherwise I really like the idea of the mod.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that. So far no-one complain about resources, but this is actually good feedback for me.

I watched lots of gameplay from other players on YT and twitch and I didn't realise, there can be problem with resources. Yeah, I agree there is an intention of having low resources on starting base. Also, I expect everyone will rebuild the base as they like. But you must be careful about your strategy you use. Because if you're not, you can run out of resources pretty fast. I always recommend explore area first.

Gameplay from Splee:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBINOKE6W7Q

If you periodicaly completing the objectives, you will always get some new rewards like finding the lost base or enabling new research. The missions are not designed for building megabases. Every mission should take around 2-5 hours.

But I will re-check again mission 1 and I will think about the resources. :-)
If you have additional things, which can be done better. I will be glad to hear them :-D

2 years ago

Just got done playing through this campaign, and had a lot of fun. I'd like to add some feedback too. Playing on version 1.1.2.

Mission 1 was definitely my least favorite. It's frustrating how you have just barely not enough train tracks to connect the two outer bases unless you relocate the tracks to outside your main base. The initial impression that the mission seems to give is that you have this modest and efficient little base where you should hunker down to weather any incoming attacks, but that's not how things play out. Once you clear out your immediate area as one of your first objectives, that base may not see any action at all, so long as you keep your pollution reasonably low. It might help if after the objective to clear out a few nests the engineer says something like "These nests don't seem to be very active. It should be safe to start expanding outside the walls now." to let players know that it's okay to change gears at this point.

The long, dragged-out final stage of the mission would go a lot faster if you could find some chemical science packs somewhere on the map, maybe in a ruined section of your main base. Around 200 would be good, out of the 350 you need to research Military 3 and Tank.

It could also be interesting to add some foreshadowing of later events. When the engineer finds the copper and iron bases, he could make some kind of comment about how the damage is unusually extensive, especially how the biters tore up the train tracks. What could have riled them up like that? Perhaps it could turn out to be an early test of the pirates' control of the biters, or something like that. Some scripted attacks at various points would help spice things up too.

Mission 2 was okay. I actually set up on the northwest resource patch instead of a closer one, and I'm glad I did. It's a good defensive location against the biter territory, and those large worms near the east base are impossible to deal with until you at least get a flamethrower (though having this particular challenge to overcome was a good thing, I'd say). Having a map geared towards the use of cliffs to augment your defensive perimeter was an interesting change. But considering the size of the forest between the northwest resource patch and biter territory, enemy attacks are pretty modest. Increasing pollution spread and decreasing absorption would make defending your base more interesting. It was a little unfortunate that biters killed by the allied base contributed to the killing objectives too. The fact that there is an alternate way to win without even leaving the allied base (and in half the time) is pretty neat. And the crashed ship at the airport? Perfect.

Mission 3 was well designed as a first mission where you fight an enemy base. Not too difficult, but you do have to use some care. The hacked base feels appropriately like a defensive line meant to hold off biters rather than people, with plenty of fairly easy chances to cut the power grid. Being able to sneak around the heavily defended middle of the base is nice, but there doesn't seem to be much point to going into the north section because there's only one turbine there. Even if you destroy it, you still need to fight all the way to the end to destroy six, so it can be skipped. Might as well just sneak in through the south. Moving a turbine or two to the north would make that route a more attractive option.

Using a car instead of a tank makes this mission the shortest of all. The biter nest up by the copper base felt strangely difficult to beat, though. There's no room to run or drive around, and the water made it difficult to set up turrets for support. They'd either be just slightly too far away to help or close enough to trigger an attack while you got them set up. It's hard to load them quickly when you don't have very much ammo. Perhaps this was intentional, but it would have been less frustrating if there was just a tiny bit more land to work with.

It now occurs to me that there's a crashed ship prominently featured in missions 1, 4, and 5, and one hidden in mission 2, but none in mission 3. Maybe you could hide one somewhere out of the way, like on an offshore island. Not impossible to see, but you'd have to explore thoroughly to find it.

Mission 4 was a lot of fun. The concept was great, and the mission lasted just long enough to explore what it's like to play as a scavenger. I also really like the way you design production lines. Two things, though. Of the ruins you can find nearby, only the crashed ship has anything useful. The others just have enemy turrets and mines. This discourages exploration. There are some more further out, but you have to go awfully far afield in order to find them. I ended up missing a couple in the north. I think I only found the one in the southwest because I was looking for the place to make the rocket launcher. Second, I wonder if there's a way to make the game unlock the techs you research for the allied faction? It would be neat to be able to buff the allied turrets and lasers with damage bonuses before the big attacks come. That said, I thought those enemy waves at the end were well balanced in the current build.

Mission 5 was the best of them. All five bases were well defended and tough to take out, even with the defensive composition being different for each one. But they also had individual weaknesses you could pick apart with some knowhow. The inclusion of biters defending some of them was an excellent complication. I took out the two bases on either end with my car, but the others proved too difficult to continue like that, so I eventually switched to a tank. That's a good difficulty progression. But constantly having to take a break to go back and move my miners to new iron patches was a pain. Using so much ammo means a lot of iron is needed, but the readily accessible patches are all too poor. Having limited resources is a challenge in previous missions, but here it's an annoyance.

I'd say the objectives aren't great either. I wouldn't have bothered researching utility science if it wasn't an objective, and I never set it up. I just don't see anything that needs utility science that would be worth the time and effort, unless you want to go overkill and nuke the enemy. By the time I got it, I had already cracked open four of the five bases, disabled their defenses, and destroyed their labs (out of spite for not being able to rob them, rather than knowing I'd have to later) and artillery storage crates. I never had the enemy fire artillery at me. Maybe it would work better to have them wake up early if two artillery shell storage crates or two labs or some number of enemy turrets get destroyed. ("Uhh... Boss, I think there's smoke coming from one of the other bases.")

I also noticed a couple things that look like mistakes on the map. The central enemy base's iron mine has one of the miners unpowered. The southeast enemy base has a gun turret with no ammo in it from the start. It's the gun turret guarding a vertical gate by itself on the south end.

Anyway, that's all I had to say. I enjoyed this a lot overall, and look forward to the next mission.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hi, thank you very much for feedback :D. I'm already preparing the update, where changing the value of starting resources in the missions to be less frustrating.

About the missions and the way how objectives are scripted, I was actually very limited by the knowledge of factorio LUA. So I agree with you for example in mission 1. I will in future return to each mission a redesign them to be much funnier and better (the hidden science packs are actually good idea, in level 1 are already some secret places). This is because I started to script the missions with zero knowledge and guide or tutorial almost don't exist for factorio scripting (or I found to much complicated for my understanding :-D).

I'm very greatful for any feedback. Also I'm now smarter then before and believe me, when I finish another final missions (which I will release probably in Q1/2022), you will be really supriced and happy, what I have already done and what I'm planning. :D

So back to missions:
Mission 1 will get improvment in resources (already done). Also planning to change objectives (probably skipping in building the train stop and more focusing on developing chemical things and weaponery + some new encounters)
Mission 2 - there will be changed objective with Solid Fuel and also thinking about changing the objective with bitters
Mission 3 - about the turbines, you re right. You can skip the northern enemy area, but I'm worry if I force player to do both areas, it can be frustrated for someone. Now player just need to made good exploring and planning which for me seems better. I will also add more land to the outpost ;-)
Mission 4 - The level was for me the biggest chalange. I don't know, if I want to do any more changes here right now. Yes, I found the way, how can be possible to upgrade friendly defences, but I'm not sure, if I wanted to do that in this mission.
Mission 5 - I'm planning to change objectives with science pack. I did that, becase in older versions the obectives were just destroy the artillery and you can end the mission pretty fast, which I don't wanted because.... it's a last mission (for now :D). About the artillery itself, the AI only targeting the millitary structures, which is weird because If I do opossite, the player artillery can target also non-combat targets like enemy assembly machine. This is, what I need to investigate more deeply in game design and how factions work.

Thank you again for your review. It helping me a lot to balancing the game better :-)

2 years ago

I'm replaying through the 5 missions again this week and cheesing a lot, love the mission start screens.
mission 1 is a lot easier if you're prepared and know what the goal is so you're not constantly spagghettying to the next objective. (love the hint on the start screen that the new research is the tank)
mission 2 was an experiment for how much I can cheese and violate the premise of the mission and go deeper into the base I'm supposed to leave, finished it in just over an hour I think... replacing the base's labs with my own (laser turrets were hard to take down but not impossible, suggestion for anti cheese would be to add more laser turrets spread out over the base, preferably same time as the hostile wall with mines and 6 laser turrets get placed down) would love some more friendly radars so player can actually see the showcase of blueprints you have in there.
mission 3 is great, love that I can still just forget my starting base and go attack with little more than a machinegun, the outpost in the north seemed like a trap with the biters next to it getting triggered with only a little pollution.
mission 4 is perfect, it rewards exploration and scavenging so much that I forgot to create a save just before finishing..
mission 5 I'm not sure about, then again I'm still working on getting through it a second time (I didn't do the extended mission last time because it seemed like a pain to go beyond mil science when that was all I needed with a lot of guerrilla warfare then.) just want to mention that radars are military targets too and significantly cheaper than turrets to lure arty shots.

it's a bit frustrating that you keep starting over from scratch research/weaponry wise.
A suggestion to get around running out of resources would be to have a single miner be on sky high capacity (22k should run a single miner for 12 hours) surrounded by cliffs so you can't put multiple miners on the ore and have at least a trickle of resources for hours.

2 years ago

Hi, new update is more fun, less frustrations with resources and objectives ;)

New response