Steamed

Production line and mining drills need steam instead of electric energy. / Must be compatible with all mods, UPS friendly, multiplayer friendly.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

i [done] Steamed: Contribution

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Hi! :)

I absolutely love the idea of this mod, but some aspects of it left me a bit confused and so I looked into your code
and changed a few things. If your source would be on GitHub I'd have made a pull request there.
You can view my fork here: https://github.com/desto-git/factorio-steamworks/

I put each change in a separate commit so you can see what exactly I edited to make it happen.

Here's the changelog:

Version: 1.0.0
Date: 2020-08-29
Features:
    - Labs have steam connections on each side (because they cannot be rotated)
Balancing:
    - Use the same amount of steam as would be needed to generate the electricity
Bugfixes:
    - Let machines emit pollution
    - Show steam connections in ALT mode
    - Remove debug logs
Changes:
    - Update to Factorio 1.0
    - Remove Mini Storage Tank
    - Don't enable some Circuit network items automatically
    - Add German translation

Let me explain my reasoning for each of these changes.

Labs

After digging around for a while I'm pretty sure that labs just don't support rotation. Despite inheriting the
rotated_sound property from Prototype/Entity, it has no rotation logic.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Lab

Prototype/CraftingMachine has an explicit mention for when the entity can be rotated in the introductory text,
but a lab is not a crafting machine.
https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/CraftingMachine

Re-balance steam <-> electricity

I see that you notably changed the heat_capacity to be 10x higher, and I assume this was so that the machines
would work on their regular speed?

And to counter-balance this the energy_source.fluid_usage_per_tick property of the affected entities is adjusted,
but from what I experienced the values are hugely off.
Machines would consume only a 10th of steam compared to the vanilla way of converting it to electricity first.

After fiddling around for a while I found that setting energy_source.maximum_temperature = 165 instead of calculating
an appropriate value for fluid_usage_per_tick would work as I initially expected.
For this, the follwing must be set (or omitted, these are the default values anyway)

-- scale_fluid_usage = false (default)
-- fluid_usage_per_tick = nil (default)

The machine's speed and producation are unaltered, and it consumes the same amount of steam a steam engine would need
to create the electricity for the machine before.

Pollution

I think you just forgot to add the emissions_per_minute back into the energy_source.
The vast majority of pollution is created by these machines, and without it our factories barely touch the planet's ecosystem in the process.

ALT mode

I also think you just commented that out by accident? Seeing that it's visible on the thumbnail.

-- production_type = "input-output",

Logs

I noticed when launching factorio-headless on my server that this mod logs a bunch of debugging info on startup.
These kinds of logs should not appear in a production build.

Remove Mini Storage Tank

I didn't get the point of it. It stores the same amount of fluid as a regular pipe.
Maybe this was relevant when fluids were still wobbly in pipes? Or when fluid mixing was still possible?

I added a migration step to replace it with a regular pipe.

Circuit network items

Well, erm, why were they enabled in the first place? They have nothing to do with the mechanic of the mod.

Translations

I removed the renaming of the stone and steel furnaces. They don't consume steam, so no need to suggest that.

Version bump to 1.0.0

Rebalancing will have a huge impact on power usage for existing users of the mod.
It will increase by about 10 times from 0.3.0.

I'd also argue that this mod is in a stable state, at least from what I checked.

4 years ago

You are welcome!

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Labs: In 0.16 or 0.17 the lab with fluid energy source make the hard crash of the game, it was the only one solution: do not touch them at all.

Water/Steam heat capacity: At the start I've tested that vanilla balance needs too much water. Now I know that the fluid consumption was not good defined. The mini-storage-tank was here for consumption balancing too. And circuits from start of the game for it.

Pollution: The idea was that the steam is pretty clean, but the burning boiler make all pollutions.

4 years ago

Thanks! :D

Labs: In 0.16 or 0.17 the lab with fluid energy source make the hard crash of the game, it was the only one solution: do not touch them at all.

But the latest version of the mod is for the latest version of Factorio. I don't think this sort of backwards compatibility is needed, as it cannot run in older Factorio releases.

I did not experience any crashes while working with labs. Deconstructing, trying to rotate, running out of steam, pulling out ingredients, all in multiplayer. it all worked just fine.

Water/Steam heat capacity: At the start I've tested that vanilla balance needs too much water. Now I know that the fluid consumption was not good defined. The mini-storage-tank was here for consumption balancing too. And circuits from start of the game for it.

Circuits can be researched rather early, along with the regular storage tank. I think having to manually check the steam flow at the start fits pretty well with the balance of the base game.

Pollution: The idea was that the steam is pretty clean, but the burning boiler make all pollutions.

The same could be true for electricity. I think this could be a separate mod.

So is there anything you want to see changed, or can I publish the zip as is available on the GitHub page? :)

4 years ago

Please publish your version, it sounds good for me.

Grüße

4 years ago

Please fix the changelog, it has wrong definition.

4 years ago

Please fix the changelog, it has wrong definition.

What do you mean? It displays fine on the mod portal, as well as in the game.

4 years ago

Now it's ok, but I am sure that I saw the wrong changelog before post it.

4 years ago

I didn't change anything after creating this topic. Whatever the case may be, thanks a bunch for letting me participate! :)

4 years ago

You've uploaded the new version and this new version has a good changelog file. So, fixed :)

New response