Shuttle Train Refresh

by StefanT

Train management for personal transportation with some new concepts.

Content
7 months ago
Trains

g Differences ?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

So does this add anything that STC doesn't already do ? cuz it looks like you just rearranged my code, added a few minor options and stuck your name on it, unless Im missing something ?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hey, good to hear that you found time to update your mod. I did not think that you would do it anytime soon as you left out 1.0.
I doubt that you will find much of your code in this mod as I wrote it from scratch but feel free to compare if you are concerned.

The major features I added is to have categories in the station selection dialog and the option to call a train to a rail next to the player. Some other smaller things too, I can list them if you are interested.

Edit: I just noticed that I did not have a credits file - it will be added in the next version and is in the repository now.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Yeah the useless portal stopped sending me notifications and my last big build was on 0.18 so i never even knew the mod was outdated till this weekend,
the code is all free licence anyways, i just happened to notice you had borrowed the graphics so i assumed you'd borrowed at least some of the code as well seeing as how the mods are pretty much identical at first glance.

I was just interested what features you had added that might be useful in my new railworld build, I toyed with the idea of adding temp station summoning to STC but I use it mainly for large scale LTN based networks with specific passenger stops and having random trains on the tracks just screws up the scheduler. If thats the only big difference i will just stick with my own mod, I really like the icons in the station list though they look awesome. Sadly everyone seems to be favouring helicopters/teleporters over train transport these days so I don't know if the popularity is there to make me want to push new features at this point, we will see.

Good luck with the mod, its very neat and shiny, i wish i had the enthusiasm to tidy my code but I'd rather be playing than repeating my day job all night. :-D

3 years ago

Ah yes the graphics are from your mod too, you are right. Feel free to take stuff from my version too if you want to.

According to temporary stations: I am not sure if this is what you mean but if you select a rail to travel to then the train is sent to the depot afterwards, even if you have not set depot as your exit action. If a depot exists. Same for calling a train to rails near you - the train gets sent to the depot after a while to avoid trains standing around in the wild.

I think the problem with train transportation is that when the rails get crowded then it is nearly impossible to manually drive around.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Ahh i see, so you force return to depot on a temp station, that would work, the only drawback then would be that you have to recall the train when you want to move on which can take a while depending on how close your depot is i guess.

Train overcrowding is not really a problem that i have as i use LTN for everything, so i have 200+ stations but i only need about 30 trains, my only problem with it is when a train can't complete its delivery and times out, thats why i build seperate passenger stops into all my facilities and have 2 station name prefixes for cargo/passenger stations, nothing worse than arriving somewhere and the loaders start defueling your train into the wrong place :D

I guess one of us needs to come up with a superb innovation to get people back into trains, i keep toying with the idea of a superfast "passenger pod" train, i even built the 3d model but the hassle of doing all the spritesheets means i can never be bothered to do anything with it lol

3 years ago

I also have passenger stations everywhere. Same reason, to avoid acidential loading/unloading of the shuttle trains.

One feature I added later and I like very much now is a history category. This contains the stations you visited last.
It is so much easier now to go back and forth with this.

New response