Scanning Radar

by Strath

A scanning radar that sweeps an arc. Control radius, speed, direction, and more with signals.

Content
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Combat

i Rebalancing & Complexity

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I was thinking of some ideas for making this more complex and interesting over just "Its an OP radar that scans infinite ranges very fast at no cost".

Like for instance, this radar will no longer be able to scan infinite ranges or be told how far to scan how fast to scan.
Defaulting at a very slow rotational speed, with a very small always visible range. This field of visibility defaults at the range of the base game radar leaving the corners of its scan range unseen. The rotational scan range will be the same range as the base game radar too, also leaving the corners unseen. This radar will rotate at a very slow speed. Like, 0.1 to your radar's spin speed settings. Maybe less.

If possible, you can add upgrades to the radar by using "heat pipes" called "data pipes", a green heat pipe that connects structures to the radar. If thats not possible then I guess the radar can check for structures within a range of its self for what upgrades it will have.

Structure: Data Processor
- Boosts rotational speed by 100%, at a diminishing level each structure. The second one will be 90% as effective as the first. So on so forth.
- Increases power usage of the radar by 60% each.

Structure: Sensor Booster
- Boosts always visible range by 15%, at a diminishing level each. The second one will be 14%, third 13%. So on so forth for a total range boost of 120%.
- Increases power usage of the radar 20% each.

Structure: Signal Enhancer
- Boosts scan range by 10% each.
- Increases power usage by 30% each.
- Decreases rotational speed by 10% each.

Structure: Resource Scanner* (Only if its possible to find resources without revealing map chunks)
- Reduces scan range to 0. (always visible range unaffected)
- Sets a resource scanner only range to 3 times greater than scan range.
- Sets down map markers to the locations of found resources with the icon and amount of the resource.

Combinator may be used to limit width of the scan beam and to control direction of scan rotation.

So thats what I was thinking of balancing for such a structure. I tested this a few times in cheat mode and my god its super op. Doesn't matter how much power you make it take. Needs to cost resources to upgrade its capabilities. I have ideas in case you can't make it scan for certain structures in a range for upgrading it too.

3 years ago

Power is an on-going cost in order to maintain visible range. One may choose to disable power usage or use cheats to provide unlimited power but that's not on me. The power scaling could be ramped up considerably. Maybe making it a scalar instead of a boolean.

Signals and power usage seem a cleaner method to me. It doesn't clutter up the space and i don't have to draw my own custom sprites. Though it might make bot compatibility a bit easier.

3 years ago

I think the custom structure stuff would be an interesting method in doing it though. Power scaling isn't very useful since you can just plop down an endless field of solar panels or a huge nuclear reactor and bam infinite map range scanner.

Also at your slowest speed the scanner is super powerful.

Anyway. I have one alternate idea that keeps the same singular structure.

You seen the mod for forcefields?
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/ForceFields2

Give the radar an interface, perhaps a storage capacity to it.
Insert certain materials into it that change its stats in the way I mentioned above. Perhaps a signal enhancer upgrade item with three data processors and a couple sensor boosters, all in its inventory.

Check out the forcefield emitter interface of that mod I linked. Maybe you could make the radar have that type of an interface for upgrading and setting things instead of a combinator and allow it to be upgraded in that way. Then you don't need actual structures, you can just make upgrade items that go into the interface between a min and max value.

New response