Robocharger

by Smurph

A 2x2 charge port that can charge 10 robots simultaneously.

Content
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.1
Logistic network

g Question: How does this actually work?

3 years ago

I built a charging station near my existing Roboport, but my Bots seem to ignore it entirely. They just get on the queue for their existing Roboport and pay no attention to the charging tower. Am I just using it wrong?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

So, this mod is generally to provide additional charge spots for smaller robot areas with large numbers of active bots. In my games, I typically build robot areas that rarely grow larger than about 2x4 logistic areas as opposed to growing one single robot area to the size of my entire base.

In doing this, I generally employ 1000-2000 robots in one area. I add robots until I only have around 100 idle at a time (and remove robots if I consistently have over about 300 idle at once).

For me, this build pattern began to cause a problem - I could only charge about 30 robots at once across all 8 roboports, and all of my roboports would see big lines of robots waiting to be charged. Or, in other words, a lot of my robots weren't actually moving items for me, they were waiting for a spot to recharge. I could fill in a lot more roboports, but each one only offers 4 more charging spots.

This mod works as 10 charging spots for drones, but does not provide any other benefits that a roboport does, and can not be used without one.

Hopefully this explanation helps

3 years ago

Sorry for the late resonse - PC technical issues. The problem is that for me, the Robots never interact with the tower. Well, almost never. I've seen them interact with it once, just as I showed up. However, even with a tower RIGHT NEXT to their Roboports, my bots still wait in line at the Roboport, pretending it doesn't exist. Do I have to do anything special to make it work? I've placed the tower within the Logistics Network orange area and it is connected to the Roboports via orange lines. However, my Robots only seem to care for the Roboports they're placed inside...

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

https://i.imgur.com/kWwH6rS.png

This image properly displays the problem that Robocharger sets out to fix. The robots shown here are carrying items, so their work is not complete. These items need to be delivered to requester chests, buffer chests, and/or storage chests. But the robots carrying the items are out of charge. The stock roboport only supports 4 robots charging at once, but this network currently has need for more charge ports for active work (and not simply for recharging returning robots)

If you don't have a couple hundred bots flying around at the same time, odds are you probably aren't to the point that you need Robocharger yet.

Remember, Robots won't be able to park inside of Robocharger, only normal roboports. Any time a drone docks into a normal roboport, they will decide to fully charge back up and will always do that at the roboport that they're entering. No matter how close the roboport is to their last full recharge spot (perhaps a Robocharger), there will still be some energy expended to get there. And that energy will be recharged at the roboport that can house them - not at a Robocharger.

3 years ago

Put the chargers in between the roboports and the areas of highest activity. You want the shortest path to go to the charger, not the port. If you want to be extra sure, surround the roboport with chargers on all 4 corners. But usually you'll know what direction the robots will be coming from.

P.S. Any word on 1.1 compatibility?

New response