RoboTank

by smcpeak

RoboTank is a tank that drives and shoots automatically, following the lead of a manually piloted commander vehicle.

Content
3 years ago
0.15 - 1.1
Combat

i Adding RoboCars

2 years ago

Is there a possibility of adding a RoboCar to the mod?

2 years ago

RoboCar might be possible. How would you envision using it? Currently, RoboTank requires blue circuit, making it mid-game technology. Are there mid-game situations you would want a RoboCar instead of a RoboTank, or are you wanting an early-game version?

Also, one significant technical problem is that cars can't easily drive through trees, meaning RoboCars would get stuck much more than RoboTanks do. I think the logic for dealing with getting stuck would need substantial work to make RoboCars viable due to the tree problem. Frankly, that seems like it would be more work than is justified by the marginal utility of a RoboCar, but perhaps you see a use for them I haven't thought of.

The other area I envision requiring work is that all of the self-driving parameters would need to be re-tuned for the car's handling characteristics so they stay in formation without crashing into each other a lot, although that's probably not too much work.

Of course, if someone wants to try implementing RoboCars themselves, I'd be happy to advise and to review pull requests.

2 years ago

RoboCar might be possible. How would you envision using it? Currently, RoboTank requires blue circuit, making it mid-game technology. Are there mid-game situations you would want a RoboCar instead of a RoboTank, or are you wanting an early-game version?

Also, one significant technical problem is that cars can't easily drive through trees, meaning RoboCars would get stuck much more than RoboTanks do. I think the logic for dealing with getting stuck would need substantial work to make RoboCars viable due to the tree problem. Frankly, that seems like it would be more work than is justified by the marginal utility of a RoboCar, but perhaps you see a use for them I haven't thought of.

The other area I envision requiring work is that all of the self-driving parameters would need to be re-tuned for the car's handling characteristics so they stay in formation without crashing into each other a lot, although that's probably not too much work.

Of course, if someone wants to try implementing RoboCars themselves, I'd be happy to advise and to review pull requests.

These are all fair points. I had thought that it'd be easy to implement them since RoboTanks already exist. I wanted RoboCars for 3 reasons: They would be faster, cheaper, and of course would be usable earlier in the game. So to answer the question, yes, I also wanted an early-game version. I also considered using them in much more practical situations since they are faster. But it's understandable if they'll never be added. Sadly, I don't think I have the technical capabilities to add RoboCars either.

Thank you for taking your time to write a reply.

2 years ago

Ok, thanks for the clarification on the desired use.

Also, I just remembered another technical obstacle: RoboTanks rely on their ability to rotate in place when the formation is moving slowly or reversing direction, but cars can't do that, so that would need work too. For example, the cars might need to become competent at driving backwards, or maybe the cars would do an Austin Powers style n-point turn.

I'll keep this request in mind for when inspiration next strikes, but for the foreseeable future I don't plan to try adding RoboCars.

New response