Resource Siphon deprecated

by Yehn

Adds a building that siphons nearby resources, allowing for mining setups with very few entities. The siphon is available immediately, but requires a lot of power and produces a lot of pollution. Works with productivity research.

Content
4 years ago
Mining

b [Fixed] Siphons stop working

4 years ago

Hello,

I have the issue, that sometimes siphons stop working. It seems to happen, when a belt is stacked up and the machine is out of dust at this moment. When the belt is running again, only the remaining recources will be unloaded, but no new dust will be generated. The only way to solve this problem is to demolish the siphon and place it new. Changing recipe or anything else don't work.

Thanks in advance!

4 years ago

Hi,

I haven't been able to reproduce this with backed up belts myself. That said, dust should be produced within 4 seconds of the input becoming empty, even if the belts are backed up/output is stopped for any reason. Could you please send the save file so I can take a look?

Thanks.

4 years ago

Hey,

I tried it too without success...

But here is a save, where the stone siphon has stopped.
https://we.tl/t-9SGpQ5Nli5

Maybe you can find the problem.

Thanks!

4 years ago

Hi again,

Thank you very much for providing the save - it really helped me trace the issue.

Unfortunately... well, I believe the issue is with the mod API. It sometimes doesn't inform my script about an entity, and it's essential that it does for it to work. You can find the full bug report here if you're curious: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78987
(I know you might not have used robots, but it was easiest for me to consistently reproduce when doing bulk construction).

Unfortunately, this means it probably won't be fixed until 0.18, as the devs have said there will be no more 0.17 releases unless they discover a critical issue. For now, the workaround is to deconstruct the siphon and reconstruct it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience of this.

Thanks again, and have fun.

4 years ago

Okay, thanks for your feedback. In the save game I am using some construction robots for building, so maybe I builded the stone machine via copy-paste.

Do you think, it would not occur if I place the siphons manually in the future?

4 years ago

So far, I've only been able to reproduce the issue with robots. And even then, most of the time robots are fine. So, placing by hand may be safe. Placing by robots should be fine most of the time, but if it doesn't work, then just replace it.

4 years ago

Okay, so I will place it by hand in the future until the problem seems to be solved.

Thank you very much for your quick help! ...and of course, I have much fun with your mod! :)

4 years ago

Hello,

So an update: It turns out it wasn't robot construction causing the issue. Some other mods were sometimes building siphons through scripted building, sometimes at the same time as the robots, and I think this is what was causing the issue.

I've updated the mod to catch more ways a script can build stuff. Hopefully, now, it catches all of them, so I hope it should now be fully compatible with other mods.

Thanks for your patience, and sorry about the confusion.

4 years ago

Hey, thank you very much for the update! I will try it and let you know, if there are issues in the future.

Thanks again for the great work!

New response