Resource Siphon deprecated

by Yehn

Adds a building that siphons nearby resources, allowing for mining setups with very few entities. The siphon is available immediately, but requires a lot of power and produces a lot of pollution. Works with productivity research.

Content
4 years ago
Mining

b Resource... overflow?

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Heya, I'm not sure how to describe the bug in a single sentence as I did in the title.

A siphon subtracts a certain amount of ores and adds it to its own dust. I believe it is static at removing 30 ores from a resource tile, and then adding dust to its own "chamber" to process into ores. The amount of dust it adds to this chamber is modified by productivity research (Really cool by the way).

If I am understanding the above part correctly, then even if it for some reason subtracts less than 30 ores, it doesn't take it into consideration of how much dust the "less than 30 ores" would provide. In a vanilla game, the only situation where it can subtract less than 30 ores is when there's just <30 ores on a tile (i.e. the tile is about to be mined out). So if with +100% mining productivity 30 ores would yield 60 dust, then 10 ores would still yield 60 dust.

I figured this out with spawning an ore tile of 50 and letting the siphon mine it. It made no difference in how much dust it generated when it subtracted the first 30 or mined out the last 20.

While writing out this page and doing some testing in the middle of it, I discovered that there can be no more than 10XX resources in the "chamber". You'd need a really high level of mining productivity for this (I don't know exactly the level) but I found out when I had mining productivity 1000. when I researched all the way to mining productivity 2000, the value didn't change. It should of course have been very close to double the ores in that chamber as opposed to mining productivity 1000.

I mean, it's fair to say that very few people will reach that barrier in the first place, and I really don't mind if you don't fix this bug (Either the former or latter bug!) because it will take literal days or weeks for even the best megabases. And with the former, setting a check or calculation to create dust based on how much ores is left in a resource tile will probably cost more UPS than it is worth it for the accuracy. We're talking a "benefit" of 29 iron plates at best at 0% mining productivity per resource tile, while tiles have excess of thousands or tens of thousands.

But, still wanted to let you know. Here's a save where you can test things:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/i81tjhcw56rwzec/SIPHONTEST.zip/file
Open up the console and just repeat the command (the up button on your keyboard) to spawn an ore patch of 50. The siphon script can get confused because this is such a weird situation, resources normally don't spawn out of thin air. You might have to put down the siphon 2-3 times or refresh it's recipe.

The infinity mod that comes with it allows you to research instantly anything without needing labs in case you want to go crazy with mining productivity (tip: load in multiplayer so you can spam the heck out of the button without it pausing during research screen.)

4 years ago

Eheheh... You caught me fudging the math.

Yes, if a resource tile has less than one cycle of ore left, it just destroys it and puts one cycle of dust (30 at the current settings, +productivity if applicable) in the siphon. I could put in less, but that means one more thing to track and that the siphon would interrupt/run out before the next feed cycle (though perhaps the steady flow of resources doesn't matter that much?)

I kind of felt extra accuracy isn't worth it - it's drops in the bucket, not even that when you get to the point where you're eating 100m+ ore patches - but if others feel differently I can change this.

--

In the case of spawning a new resource, you should only need to change the recipe. It does take a few seconds to execute the search, but it should find it if you change the recipe (or just leave it on nothing for a few seconds). Sadly there's no "recipe changed" event so the mod doesn't get notified right the moment a recipe changes, and it only checks every 4 seconds for performance reasons.

--

If you're using the infinite mod, I need to warn you of a danger with that. That's one that, if you use the instant building/upgrades/deconstruction, it doesn't notify other mods that stuff was built/upgraded/destroyed. For Resource Siphon this is essential, as siphon cycles can't run for buildings it doesn't know exists.

--

Right, so productivity... you are correct: Siphons can only hold 1,000 dust. This number is a bit arbitrary; I can increase it to whatever's needed, 1000 was basically just what I put in off hand. I'll make a note to increase it next patch, just in case.

4 years ago

Yeah i figured it out with the infinite mod (You can just turn off the auto-construct blueprint though) and I am only ever using it for testing. Anyway, yeah just wanted to give you a headsup as I really don't think either of these will have an impact for normal play. Only megabases with like 2K-4K SPM running that research a few days in succession will reach that 1K limit at some point, so it'll be totally fine. And the other one is indeed just a drop in the bucket, keep it as-is I'd say unless you see other reasons to increase/decrease it.

Thanks again.

New response