Resource Siphon deprecated

by Yehn

Adds a building that siphons nearby resources, allowing for mining setups with very few entities. The siphon is available immediately, but requires a lot of power and produces a lot of pollution. Works with productivity research.

Content
4 years ago
Mining

b [Fixed] Incompatibility with Vortik's Deep Core mining.

4 years ago

If you run Resource Siphon and the Deep Core Mining mod together (even if they're the only two mods you have running) you get this error:
https://i.imgur.com/7d9g4kt.png

I can understand that you might not be wanting to have it be compatible, in which case you can set the mod to be incompatible. It may even be that those infinite resource patches cannot be generated by ores that's mined by a Siphon, but since they don't work together I was unable to test that.

Thank you for your continued support.

4 years ago

I have this fixed in a version I'm working on now, I'm just trying to smooth out a few things at once.

4 years ago

Hey -
The fix is live, please let me know if you run into any more issues.

Thanks.

4 years ago

Thank you for continuing your support. The game starts up just fine with both enabled now. I see there's an extra recipe for each ore (requires deep mining equipment). I haven't been able to try that out because as it stands, a Siphon that depletes a resource patch does not have the "X% chance to generate an infinite resource patch" from the deep core mining mod.

While they the mods theoretically allow you to play a game now, Siphons do not allow the infinite resource deposit to spawn and therefore cancels it out. I did a test with factorio's sandbox mode to enable all techs and researches and let the Siphons mine on a 40x gamespeed until it mined a few 1M-30m ore patches. None spawned.

4 years ago

Hmm. It looks like VTK's monitors for the "on_resource_depleted" event. I'm worried that there isn't a way for a script-miner like the siphons to raise that event, but I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

deep core mining\control.lua:
https://i.imgur.com/jUkVn1M.png
So it's an "on event" call that probably happens when a miner mines up the last resource on the tile. This event might not be properly set when a Siphon reduces a resource value from 1 to 0. ?

I'm not really sure how exactly it works but that's the only lead I have basically.

Edit: Hah, you were faster than me.

4 years ago

There's a mention of it being added in Factorio 0.11:
Added on_resource_depleted * called when a resource is depleted to its minimum yield or 0. Passes the resource entity as event.entity.

So I think the game should call it by itself, but they might have tied it to a miner entity, e.g. if a mod allows something else to reduce resources (i.e. explosion from grenades) they might also not trigger that event.

4 years ago

https://i.imgur.com/t3rSQFu.jpg
There's another picture. Here you can see how much was mined out without anything spawning as well as normal miners on the exact same map. In case you might be in doubt that it was a mod error or something on my part that VTK's mod wasn't working at all, this should be proof.

4 years ago

Hi

Thanks for the effort but no worried about the proof - I was able to reproduce it in my own tests. I found a way to raise the event so VTK patches will spawn.

Currently I'm working on keeping the siphons from being able to mine VTK ore patches. I should have it ready to upload soon.

4 years ago

Everything should work smoothly with Vortik's mod now. Please let me know if you run into any other issues.

4 years ago

It is indeed working, even on the existing test map. Excellent work!

New response