Remote Configuration

Allows the player to configure any machine from the map, without allowing item transfer so it maintains the vanilla feel. Allows wire placement and entity settings copy/paste at any distance. Press R to issue a rotation request, right-click to mark for deconstruction. Less cheaty alternative to Far Reach. Similar to Space Exploration's Navigation Satellite, but works entirely within map view.

Utilities
5 months ago

i Improve remote interactions when not in map

1 year, 4 days ago

I was surprised that this mod didn't let you interact from a distance when out of map mode. I had to come back to read the mod description again to see that it was a separate per player setting to enable this. Once I turned it on I discovered that there is a horrible noise every time you open a remote building outside of the map (I'm using headphones which might make a difference and I haven't listened to the sound with speakers).

My suggestions are:

• Enable the "Remote interactions when not in map" option by default. I believe most players would expect this behaviour by default like I did.
  • Remove the "Opened GUI remotely" message when opening a building remotely outside of map view, and ESPECIALLY remove the annoying beep sound.
1 year, 3 days ago

Thanks for the feedback! I originally had it like you are suggesting, but I moved to the current version for a few reasons.

When it works in game (rather than in map), it can cause issues where if you are walking towards a chest, click on it to open it, but because you were too far away, it opened in remote mode, and now you can't transfer items. Ideally it would disable remote mode when you get closer which might mitigate the issue somewhat, but I don't think I ever implemented that. This is why there is a message and sound - to make clear to the player that they were still out of range and the current GUI is only being opened remotely, with all the item transfer limitations that that entails.

I went back and forth over what the default should be for that setting. In the end I went for the default that causes the least surprise to players. Some people using this mod will be doing so because they got it as part of a modpack (e.g. Exotic Industries Official Modpack) and don't actually know that they have it. I was seeing people report 'bugs' to EI because they couldn't pick up items in chests. The people I asked on my discord agreed that it should be off by default - it makes a clear separation between normal play (in game) and remote play (in map). The 'advanced' mode is available for players like you who want it.

Maybe since the 'advanced' mode is opt-in, I don't also need the clarifying message and sound... but I still think they are useful to make clear when a GUI is opened in remote mode. I agree that the alert sound is quite harsh - if you'd like to suggest a better sound for me to use, by all means. I found it quite hard to find a good alert sound that I liked.

1 year, 3 days ago

Thanks for explaining the reasoning and with that perspective I understand why you had to make the choices you did. The message wouldn't bother me if the sound was removed, but I can also see why you want to keep the sound in.

In UX design consistency is extremely important. With your reasoning in mind I would instead suggest the opposite: play the sound every time remote configuration is activated. Users would learn in map view that opening something remotely plays a sound, and if they enable the option to use it outside of map view the sound will remain and match their expectations. This will also force you to choose a sound that is not annoying, because you will be listening to it all the time :)

Plenty of common actions in the game play non-annoying sounds, even as simple as button clicks; I think the goal should be to choose a sound that matches that kind of subtlety, but is also distinctive enough to be associated with Remote Configuration. Taking a look on Freesound, I think these could be suitable choices:

Some of them may be slightly too loud by default so perhaps you could calibrate the volume by comparing it to common in-game UI actions.

1 year, 3 days ago

Thanks, those sounds look good (and I hadn't come across freesound before) - I'll have a look at switching the sound to something else.

New response