Reaver's RGB Radars

Adds three new radar types with varying specialties.

Tweaks
5 years ago

i Radar without scanning

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I love the idea of this mod, but the one thing i am missing is a radar that doesn't scan, but has a larger permanent vision radius. As it is, there is just one best radar (ignoring power consumption but that's relatively irrelevant anyway). It has both the highest radius for permanent vision, and for scanning, which i don't think is very good balancing wise.

I made a mod for that myself a while ago already called Vision Radar, but i think your mod could really profit from something similar too. Especially on larger maps you don't always want to scan far away, you often just want to have permanent vision in your base. I'd suggest having at least a different radar with the same permanent vision radius as the blue one, but no scanning (and drastically lower power requirement ofc).

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I was using Vision Radar and after placing a few of them, it was slowing my game down drastically. It turns out it was partly in combination with Alien Biomes high-res, but my brother told me he thinks the Vision Radar would have been significantly slowing the game down. I don't know why, but performance increased a lot when I got rid of them. For whatever reason, the game seems to better handle covering the same area with more radars. That was what drove me to make this mod. So I made the only large coverage on the blue radar, assuming players wouldn't use them just to gain vision in the base.

The red radar is supposed to fill the role of the vision radar, but I compromised by making it use rapid sector scans for part of its vision area. So it frequently updates regions out to 8 sectors radius, even though it only does active vision out to 4 sectors. The sector scans should be very FPS friendly relative to the active area.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I have no idea why it should impact the performance. It literally is just a radar with slightly modified values. I haven't had performance problems either and i use it in all my games. Including alien biomes with high res.

The performance impact isn't noticeable until you hit your VRAM cap, then suddenly it cripples your computer. At least that's what happened to me.

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I don't really understand. Are you saying Vision Radar uses up a lot of VRAM?
EDIT: I just experimented a bit and it neither uses up much VRAM, nor does it impact the performance otherwise for me.

If you have a save file for me where removing the Vision Radars improves performance as you say, i will look at it. As i see it, there is no impact of Vision Radar, and there's no reason why it should either.

New response