Realistic Reactors

Add realistic nuclear reactors including a breeder reactor type and cooling tower. The reactors must be controlled through integrated circuit interface signals. The thermal energy output is dynamic and depends on reactor core temperature. The reactors require sophisticated designs of their cooling system and heat-pipe network. If the operational conditions aren't met then a reactor core meltdown with dangerous consequences occurs

Content
20 days ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

b [done] Heat limited to 440C

3 years ago

Got a weird thing, when using MSI (I think). The smoke nest event triggered, and the reactors seem to be capped at 440C, which means energy production is severly limited. Is this caused by MSI, or by a reafture in RR ?

max2344 β˜†
3 years ago

Hi,

do you have a reference map where we can see/debug that?

Regards,

-max2344

3 years ago

Ignore that, looks like the latest update fixed it :D

3 years ago

It still isn't generating a lot of heat, and seems capped. Happy to send you a savefile if that helps ?
I'm using a bunch of mods, specifically Krastorio2 and MSI, so I assume it's some weird interaction

max2344 β˜†
3 years ago

Ok, then, lets have a look at your setup. The savefile will help to see if and what is the actual problem. How do you want to transmit it?

Regards,

-max2344

3 years ago

Hi, I seem to face a similar issue. I have a 4 core reactor setup where all reactors are placed in a row with heat pipes in between. The two reactors at the end report temperature values that makes no sense (like 1.5 million degrees) when I look at the left info box after I use the mouse pointer to hover over the reactor entity. The two reactors in the middle show a temperature value or around 430. The signal readings for all four reactors shows a temperature around 430 degrees, and the signal values seems otherwise correct. When looking at the heat pipes closest to all reactors, the 430 value seems to be the correct one for all of them. I have the same problem as the user above me. The reactor temperatures does not increase over a certain point. In my case it is approximately 430.

I have attached my save file here: https://file.io/jMCUnqO1VIjt
Please let me know if the link does not work (the file file will be deleted after one download)

Regards,
ThunderBjarne

max2344 β˜†
3 years ago

Hi ThunderBjarne,

thank you for providing that save, it makes debugging easier. I've had a look at your setup, however I can't see where you find the temperature of roughly 1.5 mill. degrees. Could you please point out how to reproduce the issue you're describing?

Regards,

-max2344

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

It is changing quite rapidly, and I see that in the save file that I sent to you the temperature readings of the leftmost reactor is 37188.25. Not quite 1.5 million as I have observed earlier (my apologies), but it still seems like something is wrong. See the screenshot here: https://ibb.co/vY6TK2j

EDIT: Just a thought, could it be that the heat exchangers are consuming equivalent or more heat than what is produced by the reactors, and that is why I cannot see an increase in the reactor core temperature?

EDIT 2: That seems to be the case, because when I prevent the heat exchangers from consuming heat (by cutting off the output steam pipe) the reactor core temperature starts to increase again across all reactors.

3 years ago

I guess that should not be considered a bug as I have scaled the reactor setup based on the maximum power output, but failed to remember that I takes some time before the reactors are able to operate at that power level. By preventing water to enter the heat exchanger before the core temperatures are all above 990 seems to have fixed the issue I had about being stuck at 430 degrees.

I have no idea about that wring temperature reading in the info box, bit it is not that critical as I base everything on the temperature signal anyways (which are correct as far as I can tell).

max2344 β˜†
3 years ago

Hi ThunderBjarne,

i've had some time playing with the effects you see in your map. Most of the issues are related to the way the reactors are connected and driven in that setup. You found out meanwhile, that's really cool!

The temperatures around 350k Β°C in the tooltip of the reactors is a bug, however it doesn't influence the function of the reactor. This bug will be fixed with the upcoming release.

Regards,

-max2344

New response