Realistic Reactors

Add realistic nuclear reactors including a breeder reactor type and cooling tower. The reactors must be controlled through integrated circuit interface signals. The thermal energy output is dynamic and depends on reactor core temperature. The reactors require sophisticated designs of their cooling system and heat-pipe network. If the operational conditions aren't met then a reactor core meltdown with dangerous consequences occurs

Content
3 days ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

i My argument for the option to have radiation damage buildings/vehicles

3 years ago

I would love to see an option to allow radiation to damage buildings and vehicles. Currently I used your wonderful mod to construct my first nuclear plant in factorio. A 4 core, 400MW plant on a small island away from my main base. Then for fun, I turned off the cooling pumps and let it go critical! I've scaled up the fallout lifespan and how long a ruined reactor will release fallout because I watched the HBO Chernobyl series and I wanted my meltdowns to feel dreadful. However I was underwhelmed by the effects of the meltdown. I turned off the pumps to reactor 'A' and let it melt down with the non atomic settings. The reactor was destroyed and replaced with a ruin, however not even the water pumps that were directly connected to the reactor were damaged. Non of the other 3 reactors took any damage and without the power output of 'A' they all cooled very rapidly and had no real chance of melting down. Also, all that radiation effect and fallout I cranked up had 0 effect on my base when it blew over which made the whole thing feel more like a nuisance than a disaster to me.

I would love to see an option that would let the radiation effect damage buildings and vehicles. I base my argument for why this would be realistic on the part in Chernobyl where they couldn't use the lunar robots on the roof without lead shielding and they lost the radiation resistant robot on Masha because of the radiation. So for game play's sake, lets just say the rag tag equip that we are making on this planet isn't shielded and let radiation damage it. Heck, we can't even mine lead.

I would be happy to create a pull request for this if you accept the idea, but it looks like your github is WAY out of date. Otherwise I suppose I could try making a mod for this separately that would tie into the radiation force you have created. I'm not sure if that is even possible, haven't done a lot of factorio modding yet.

3 years ago

Intriguing idea, although I think buildings and vehicles should not be damaged, but shoud be disabled. In my opinion that would better simulate the radiation damage to the electrical systems of these (concrete and metal doesn't get damaged by radiation...).

That would be trickier to implement however, damage is only done once, but if you disable anything you need to enable it again later...

I'm busy at the moment with my Aircraft-Drones mod, but if you manage to code this I'll be happy to upload it here.
I think this can all be done in the fx.lua file, there is the radiation damage event and the radiation damage function.

3 years ago

Yeah, I am not experienced enough in factorio modding to be able to make everything disable-able. I was able to add a new radiation damage type, and let that do a modest amount of damage to entities if a new map setting for "Radiation behavior" is set to allow buildings to be damaged. I really like the effect. Makes the normal meltdown feel really dreadful and when a fallout cloud passes over my base, I get to watch all the drones spring to life to try and combat the radiation damage. Also made it so if ignored, my one reactor meltdown would spread to the other three, one at a time! Personally I'm happy with the result so far. Only bit of annoyance is that when there are hundreds of entites being damaged by radiation, the game takes a hit to the fps. Would you like to take a look? Not sure how I would get it to you outside of github though... Suppose I could just zip it and upload it someplace but I do really like github!

New response