Realistic Reactors

Add realistic nuclear reactors including a breeder reactor type and cooling tower. The reactors must be controlled through integrated circuit interface signals. The thermal energy output is dynamic and depends on reactor core temperature. The reactors require sophisticated designs of their cooling system and heat-pipe network. If the operational conditions aren't met then a reactor core meltdown with dangerous consequences occurs

Content
11 days ago
0.16 - 1.1
Power

g Am I missing something?

3 years ago

Every time I've tried to use this mod, the reactors have blown up, eventually.

The latest was a 4 core reactor, with the 4 in a line, blowing up after at least 72 real-time hours of stable operation. From what I know, there is absolutely no reason for this to happen. The temp was hovering around 921 whenever I checked on it in that time. This time, when i went to check on it, 2 of the cores were blown up.

I have an emergency cooling system that kicks in at 950, and then scram at 975, and my testing showed the 2 cooling towers for the 4 cores was sufficient. Something went wrong, but I have no idea what, or why, and it is incredibly frustrating when this happens every time I try to use this mod.

3 years ago

I assume your cooling capacity is not high enough. Above a certain power production the ECCS alone is not enough to cool the reactor down. You also need to consume the steam, so that the heat exchangers continue to use heat, thus "cooling" the reactor.
Probably your power demand gets low at a certain point, your heat exchangers stop using heat, reactors get hotter, and at the temperatures you are operating ECCS is not able to cool them down anymore. And when scram set in, reactor still continue to produce heat for a while...

Take a look at the setup I did here: https://imgur.com/tcz6tvQ.jpg
I collect the produced steam in tanks, and when the tanks get full the pumps in the blue cooling circle set in. With this setup I theoretically don't even need ECCS cooling because either my turbines or the cooling towers in secondary cooling circle are consuming all created heat.

New response