Rampant Maintenance

by Veden

Player owned machines will breakdown overtime. Configuration for entities in mod settings. Research available to offset breakdowns. Idle machines should not breakdown. Broken down machines should automatically restart after a cooldown unless destroyed by damage when breaking down

Tweaks
1 year, 10 months ago
1.0 - 1.1

g Exceptions for mod added entities?

1 year, 11 months ago

Veden, is there currently a way, or can you add a way, for mod authors to register some of their entities to be excluded from breakdowns?

For example, I'm working on a revised version of one of the Tree Sapling mods. In it is an assembling-machine type entity, but it's nothing more than a wooden planting box for growing trees, which, depending on mod settings, are their own separate entity with their own control script to monitor growth and maturity separate from the crafting progress of the planter. Without being able to exclude the planters, I'm seeing them disable, the tree matures and the planter is told to finish it's recipe (.crafting_progress = 1.0), but then it won't output and reset to 0, which causes subsequent problems with the code's logic.

1 year, 10 months ago
(updated 1 year, 10 months ago)

the next version will have a remote interface.
remote.call("rampant-maintenance", "addEntityException", "<entityName>")
remote.call("rampant-maintenance", "removeEntityException", "<entityName>")
Note all entities that a entity exception covers that are already placed when an exception is removed will not breakdown until they are replace in the game world.

1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks!

1 year, 10 months ago

My 2¢ a wooden planting box would definitely break down, grow mold, rot from termites or other bugs.

You would need to upkeep the box like you upkeep the soil in the box.

1 year, 10 months ago

My 2¢ a wooden planting box would definitely break down, grow mold, rot from termites or other bugs.

You would need to upkeep the box like you upkeep the soil in the box.

Sure, but this wouldn’t cause the tree to stop growing….

1 year, 10 months ago

My 2¢ a wooden pla> Sure, but this wouldn’t cause the tree to stop growing….

Depends on the reason it "broke down". You get an infestation of a tree virus that's gonna stop growth.

Especially with a young sapling that hasn't had time to root properly and isn't part of the mycorrhizal network.

1 year, 10 months ago

My 2¢ a wooden pla> Sure, but this wouldn’t cause the tree to stop growing….

Depends on the reason it "broke down". You get an infestation of a tree virus that's gonna stop growth.

Especially with a young sapling that hasn't had time to root properly and isn't part of the mycorrhizal network.

Then that should affect the tree, not the planter, seems the trees can be planted separate from the planter. But regardless of whatever random reason you want to come up with, having it halt breaks the core mod’s logic and trying to program around that would be way more effort than it’s worth. Plus I’m sure other mods could still potentially introduce entities that make even less sense being affected by this mod than mine, so it still makes sense to have this exclusion mechanic introduced.

New response