Rampant Evolution

by Veden

Changes evolution mechanic to allow for green play. All evolution parameters are configurable and retroactively work on-the-fly. Tries to balance evolution level with number of nests covered by pollution. Killing units reduces evolution. Sets vanilla map evolution factors to 0 in new game settings and can change existing save map evolution factors in mod settings. If you want the vanilla options still, use the mod settings in Rampant Evolution. Has stats for displaying evolution in game.

11 months ago

i Help, Retroactive Graphs, and Pre-Sets

2 years ago

I've spent hours trying to get down a good numbers that reflect something like a "saw tooth" pattern where evolution slowly goes up to a decent % and then goes down rapidly with nest kills to the "minimum" of 25% of the max hit, but I still don't want evolution to shoot up spiraling beyond control once production gets ramping. Any ideas on what would be a good reflection of this? ( The goal is to make going out and killing them a positive effect of gameplay rather than a chore).

Secondly, would there be any way to put evolution to a graph over game-time when it retroactively recalculates so I can see if it lines up with attacks, kills, ect? (idk if you can use the in-game graphs for this at all).

Thirdly as a suggestion, it would be cool to put Pre-sets with a dropdown in the map mod settings that allow people to try out different "default" settings (your default, low growth, de-evolution with time (de-escalation), only going up with attacks, vanilla, ect...) with just a "Custom" using what ever the fill-in numbers are.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I've spent hours trying to get down a good numbers that reflect something like a "saw tooth" pattern where evolution slowly goes up to a decent % and then goes down rapidly with nest kills to the "minimum" of 25% of the max hit, but I still don't want evolution to shoot up spiraling beyond control once production gets ramping. Any ideas on what would be a good reflection of this? ( The goal is to make going out and killing them a positive effect of gameplay rather than a chore).

What are the current settings you have configured? Can you elaborate on what you are looking for? Such as time based evolution, absorbed pollution, generated pollution?

Secondly, would there be any way to put evolution to a graph over game-time when it retroactively recalculates so I can see if it lines up with attacks, kills, ect? (idk if you can use the in-game graphs for this at all).

I don't think you can use the in-game graphs. Recalculating is more of averaging over time and less a reflection of what a natural in-gameplay progress would look like. This is because the amount of data that would have to be stored would be significant and depending on when you added the mod would be unavailable.

Thirdly as a suggestion, it would be cool to put Pre-sets with a dropdown in the map mod settings that allow people to try out different "default" settings (your default, low growth, de-evolution with time (de-escalation), only going up with attacks, vanilla, ect...) with just a "Custom" using what ever the fill-in numbers are.

Maybe at somepoint. Happy to include some presets if you find someone or if anyone else wants to contribute.

New response