RTG Satellites Redux

Alters the recipe of Satellites to require a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator, created from Uranium Fuel Cells. Intended to make uranium processing feel more integrated into the main game and required for space science. Credit to Flaming Carrot for the original.

Tweaks
1 year, 2 months ago
Manufacturing

g Replace solar?

1 year, 3 months ago

shouldn't the recipe replace solar panels / accumulators?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

RTGs are usually the most desirable power source for unmaintained situations that need a few hundred watts (or less) of power for durations too long for fuel cells, batteries, or generators to provide economically, and in places where solar cells are not practical.

1 year, 3 months ago

Logically, I would agree. However, replacing the 100 Solar panel requirement with the RTG would reduce the raw material costs of the Satellite by a great deal, which seems to go against the intended vanilla friendly balance and also reduce the spirit of the Satellite as part of the "final boss" in Factorio.

I could make the RTG about as expensive as the 100 solar panels and accumulators but that seems a little excessive. My head canon is that the satellite uses both solar energy and nuclear energy (not unlike most bases!)!

1 year, 3 months ago
  1. you could replace some of the solar/accum and leave the LDS alone (my head canon is that LDS is the container, so adding RTG would mean MORE LDS, not less)
  2. remove all the solar/accum and rebalance by adding more of the other ingredients (LDS, blue chips, radar, rocket fuel)

but it's not a big deal and balancing is arbitrary.

New response