Production Scrap for Industrial Revolution 3

Unofficial addon for IR3. Modifies recipes to produce scrap byproducts. Optionally adds new scrap processing recipes for an extra logistical challenge.

Tweaks
6 hours ago
Manufacturing

g Pellet economy

7 days ago

"This new scrap-to-pellets recipe gives you an extra logistical challenge"
However, pellets are only used by a few recipes.
Pellets craftable from scrap: Copper, Bronze, Iron, Steel
Outside of ammo and scrapping, there are only 2 recipes that need these pellets: Sulfuric acid and ammonia, both use iron pellets.
There are two other types of pellets: Platinum and Nickel, they are used in quite a few recipes but not don't have scrap.

My opinion is: Pellets have too few uses. I think the purpose of this, is to provide a high effciency recipe that induces new logistical challenges, but with this few uses, it doesn't work.
Maybe change it to produce pellets+rivets? For example, 1 scrap-> 1.5 rivet + 2 pellet, so even if you don't need pellet, you can just send them to recycle and just use the rivets, and this is still more efficient than smelting scraps; if you need more pellets, you can also recycle the rivets and it's also more efficient; but if you recycle both you only get 0.9375 scrap back.

Another problem is: Science production don't generate much scrap. Actually the first two tiers don't generate any scrap in their production chain. Maybe change the science recipes to give scrap?

6 days ago

Thanks, these are great ideas! I like the pellets+rivets idea, makes sense and could be interesting for planning out production blocks because every time you need rivets you have to decide whether to make rivets from ingots locally, make rivets from scrap locally and ship out the pellets, make some rivets from scrap and ship in extra ingots for more rivets, ship out scrap to a rivet-producing block and ship in rivets, etc.

I'm planning to make a new version that has:
- setting for scrap processing recipe (none / pellets / pellets and rivets)
- setting to make science "analysis packs" produce scrap
- change some of the 1-ingredient recipes like chests to also produce scrap
- maybe add a setting to make plates->gears recipes produce scrap since it's realistic and maybe interesting
- setting to change scrap stack sizes to make them easier/harder to transport around

Let me know if you have more ideas

6 days ago
(updated 6 days ago)

Actually I remembered now, the science pack recipes allow productivity modules, so I disabled scrap production for them because otherwise you can maybe get free resources by scrapping and re-making science packs. Going to investigate that, maybe reduce scrap-per-ingredient for those recipes to compensate.

6 days ago
(updated 6 days ago)

Actually I remembered now, the science pack recipes allow productivity modules, so I disabled scrap production for them because otherwise you can maybe get free resources by scrapping and re-making science packs. Going to investigate that, maybe reduce scrap-per-ingredient for those recipes to compensate.

That makes sense.
I took a closer look, and it's already close to duping materials without this mod lol
At 4 prod3:
( Cu = copper, Sn = tin, Br = bronze, Fe = iron, Gl = glass, St = steel )
Each red pack cost 2.86 Cu + 2.14Sn, gives 3Cu + 2Sn
Green pack cost 2.14Gl + 3.57Br + 7.5 Fe, gives 1(x2) Gl + 3.5Br + 7.5Fe
Grey pack can't be recycled, skip
Blue pack cost 2.86 concrete + 7.15Gl + 5.72Cu + 10 St, gives 3 concrete + 3.5(x2)Gl + 6Cu + 10.5 St, it's already using glass to dupe everything else
And this mod adds 0.72(x2)Gl + 0.58Cu when crafting green circuits, making it already enough to dupe everything

Concrete and refined concrete also accept prod and can result in duplication

6 days ago

I advice nerfing the scrap output of science packs, or simply disable scrapping them, because they can always be put into labs for more science, there's always demand for more packs.

6 days ago

I noticed another catch: This mod gives 1 glass scrap for every 10 glass input. However, glass scrap gives 2 glass when recycled, so this mod should halve the glass scrap byproduct to keep it in line.

6 days ago

Certain rocket related things also should have scrap output, but they don't.
Hull section, Solar assembly, Empty high pressure canister,
Nuclear related are also missing a few.
Heat exchanger, turbine, centrifuge

6 days ago

Also, concrete scrap exists in IR3, maybe consider adding this to this mod too?

5 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions! Just uploaded a new version that has most of the stuff you suggested.

I advice nerfing the scrap output of science packs, or simply disable scrapping them, because they can always be put into labs for more science, there's always demand for more packs.

Ok, added a setting that halves the output when you scrap science packs.

I noticed another catch: This mod gives 1 glass scrap for every 10 glass input. However, glass scrap gives 2 glass when recycled, so this mod should halve the glass scrap byproduct to keep it in line.

Thanks, I had the wrong number for that, fixed in the new version.

Certain rocket related things also should have scrap output, but they don't.
Hull section, Solar assembly, Empty high pressure canister,
Nuclear related are also missing a few.
Heat exchanger, turbine, centrifuge

I'm going to try to add these in the next version

Also, concrete scrap exists in IR3, maybe consider adding this to this mod too?

Yeah, will look into this for the next version

a day ago

Update: New version of IR3 removed the ability to scrap analysis/science packs to get rid of the exploit, which already exists in base IR3 without this mod. So next version of this mod will remove the setting to nerf those recipes since it's not needed any more.
https://github.com/Deadlock989/IndustrialRevolution/issues/441

New response