Only Train Transportation

by tigar

Restrictions and benefits that you can set to encourage the massive use of trains

Content
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Logistics

g Been using this for a few hours and god its hard but fun

5 years ago

The amount of times i had to scrap an idea because it wont work due to weird track placement or multiple items is high

yes mid and late game it will be easy but early game god its tough to get started and even just automate green circuit production

The only way to get around that is to make a storage hub from the get go and just name all stations "iron storage in" and "iron storage out" and such to make things a bit easier but this makes for some really fun complex setups

Have this mod with LTN for example and it becomes so so much fun to play around with this

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

Very cool your infos Tigar ... I'll put in the description of the mod ... While playing I'm also feeling a lot of complication to start ... But this idea of ​​LTN with hub storages really is the best thing!

5 years ago

Ya it turned my maze of tiny trains into a more streamlined setup like green circuits is simple on its own (2 stations 1 side 1 station on the other or mixed cargo trains) but 4+ products becomes a mess of having to have a dedicated trains (4-5 of the same ones) to supply something like a assembler 3 production

but add in ltn and set reasonable requests and have a storage hub and suddenly your army of trains becomes a bit easier to balance

just a tip when setting up requests for stations with LTN calculate the mats needed for 30 seconds or 1 minute or 2 minutes(and so on) of production depending on the chests used and how much buffer you give them as that will lessen the load of your network if say a iron plate train has to only show up once every 10 minutes at a green circuit production area where as copper wire trains show up every 2 minutes for example

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

looks promising ...
i already had started building partial solutions (blueprints) for a "no-BBB" factory (no belts, no bots, no beacons), and this mod would help with that goal :-)

using only chests and bobs inserters (selectable pickup and drop locations with reach up to 3 tiles), i could easily achieve throughput of 5400 per minute (belts have only 800/1600/2400), or even 10k++ when using several inserters between two chests. a mainbus of width 6 (pure random coincidence that a wagon is unloaded by 6 or 12 chests; throughput 6x2400=14.4k with blue belts, loading takes 25 seconds with 6 stack inserters) could be replaced on the same area by a chain of belts and chests for 6x5400=32.4k ! cost for such a mainbus with width 6 and length 2: 189 iron and 120 lube for 12 blue belts vs 330 iron, 192 copper, 12 wood and 12 plastic for 6 chests and 6 stack inserters, thus more than double throughput for less than triple price, or with a different layout double throughput for less than double price, and loading takes only 280 ticks = 4.5 seconds :-)

not yet having tested the mod but only reading the info, i was wondering:
- why is the speed of all furnaces increased, but only the speed of electrical miners and not also burner miners and pumpjacks?
- why is the speed of all assemblers and chemplants increased, but only the speed of furnaces and not also refineries ?
- is it really necessary or even useful to increase the speed of labs (with "labs" you mean science labs, right?) ?
- not having used this mod yet, i have no idea whether it's useful to replace all inserters with stack inserters. and what would be the advantage of building stack inserters when all others already have that bonus? maybe that should be a mod setting, and/or the stack inserters could get an additional bonus so that they transfer full stacks of items between chests and/or machines? but as descibed at the top, i probably find the existing inserters (at least when using bobs adjustible version) already quite powerful.
- in mid or late game (with lots of bots), there would be no more challenge when building all assemblers with requester and provider chests. maybe it would be nice to have an option in mod settings to disable either logistic chests or bots and only allow (early) nanobots for blueprint work?
and/or to use that other mod that requires space science to produce bots (this could probably be done voluntarily by users with no change to this mod)
- if you add such a mod setting, maybe you could also add the option to disable beacons and thus achieve that "no-BBB" factory that i was aiming for ? :-)

5 years ago

Hey Anson.... Analyzing what you said to me, that I liked it a lot, I made the settings of the mod ... I think it will help a lot of people wanting a more specific challenge, including the mining drills and refinery that I had not included previously! Please see if it helps you. Thank you

v0.0.4
You can set everything before start the game:
- Hide or not Belts
- Hide or not Logistic Robots
- Hide or not Beacons
- Hide or not Chests
- If enable train system from the start
- If the train system is free
- If all the inserters is Stack Inserters
- Inserter speed multiply
- Factories speed multiply (chemical-plant, oil-refinery, centrifuge, laboratory, mining-drills, assembling-machines, furnaces

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

almost got a heart attack ...

... seeing how much more configurable you made it, and how quickly you did it !!!

5 years ago

XD

Tigar and Anson.. hope you liked the configurable changes... Tigar, the original has 10 times the speed pre-configured, if you wanna put equal to not mess with your actual configuration!

Hope its working too hehehe... i made some tests, but if you see some buggs, please tell me! THANKS!

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I noticed that change yesterday when i ran the updates everything was wacky for a few min but things worked out lets just say 30 hours in LTN is a must have if you dont want to setup really really really complex train and circuit conditions to mess with stations

As anson said having bobs inserters mod(got used to it for so long i forgot it was a mod) makes one avoid having to use chests all the time

But ya i sure am enjoying it a lot

Adding this in https://factorioprints.com/view/-LEKwj9ILIi0zU82BFrm

I might once i make things a bit more standard release my book of stuff for it but this might give people an idea of how you could make simple 1-2 station drop offs and pickups with LTN and this mod

5 years ago

Hi Tigar!!! 30 hours!!! Sorry for the mess... I think in the settings have something to make this version exactly like the other, or i'm wrong... sorry!

Your Blueprint will help a lot, i think is very helpful to show other players that want to start this challenge, i put in description, with the image too.. THANKS tigar.. and congrats for the complex setup you make !

3 years ago

So came back to revisit this for the start of a new game had finished my train only then switched to a custom scenario of a labyrinth then toxic forest death world and now starting a toxic forest death world with only trains and biter evolution set twice as fast and saw a bug that had to be fixed(made my own topic for it) so here is to hoping for another 200 hour game of thousands of small networks and big ones

So to give you an update on that old session i ended it when i was able to launch 10 rockets per minute as i was over 3k trains(most where 1-1's) with what had the size of a mega base but was not a mega base at all in terms of production numbers when scaled down to normal mining and smelting numbers but it was a lot of fun and helped out big time for my lab run i did soon after where space is limited and enemies can pop up from everywhere

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

@tigar, heres something that you might like to add to you playthrough https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Transport_Drones, this way you can make larger setups for crafting like city blocks, its super fun, done that about 2 months ago with this mod and LTM, on a death world with rampant and natural enemies, god, it was hard by the early/mid game, getting constant attacks from bitters etc

3 years ago

Funny you mention that i have been using that mod for a while now even tried to make a "mostly only transport drones" city which i had to cancel because of ups issues with that and 2 other mods i wanted to use here is a map of how my base looks as of last playing on that http://tigartar.42web.io/?i=1#1/nauvis/16/0/0/0/18

Once i am done with my space exploration playthrough i will prob go do a transport drones+ltn+onlytraintransport as i have been wanting to do one like it i just gotta get rid of some of my other mods before doing so

As for rampant and such use the ammobox mod to restock your gun turrets from a distance(if you dont mind its bit of a cheaty nature) then it becomes more of a race towards "how fast can i produce ammo"

New response