Nuclear Vehicles

by emk

A nuclear tank with a rocket launcher and equipment grid! Designed to make clearing screen-sized behemoth nests more fun (but you still need skill and weapons production to win).

Content
6 years ago
Transportation

g Interested.

6 years ago

I am extremely interested in that.

6 years ago

I had a look at what it would take to add armored nuclear locomotives, and there's good news and bad news. The good news: I've gotten nuclear fuel, an equipment grid and PLDs working. But I haven't found any way to add support for a machine gun or a rocker launcher.

I'm pretty certain that armored locomotives would be much more fun with manual weapons and not just PLDs. But Factorio doesn't seem to support it.

6 years ago

OK, so I spent a few minutes driving an armored nuclear locomotive near biter nests. With shields, PLDs, and the built in armor upgrades, it can mostly take care of itself. I could definitely add this to the mod, but it might feel a little anti-climactic.

You can actually lay track right through small biter nests with a pretty good chance of survival. And you can double up locomotives to get twice the grid space. Put shields on the front locomotive, and guns on the back, and you can drive right into a small group of behemoth biters.

Overall, it's playable, but I'd really love to see support for adding other weapons as described here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48754

New response