Nuclear Rebalance

by Kingdud

Improves UPS with nuclear power by completely overhauling how nuclear energy is produced. Material costs are in-line with vanilla, build complexity is meant to help foster interest in how nuclear actually works.

Content
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1
Power

i Graphics

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I'm sure I don't need to comment on the looks of this structure. I do dabble with texturing/graphics and such, but I've not messed with Factorio, so I presume it's just standard image format sprites. If you'd like, I can try and come up with something to make it look a bit nicer.

To add, I really like the amount of effort you went into with all your research, and the mod is great. It just feels, to me, like the amount of effort put into finally building the structure, the appearance should have a bit more rewarding aesthetic to it.

2 years ago

I have made no secret that the graphics suck. I know they aren't great. I'm not an artist and it took me at least 40 hours to get the buildings to look the way they do now, and another 20 hours to make all the icon art. It was the worst part of making this mod. I say this in the sense of "I'm so bad at it that it took me forever to get anything done." As for how to make art, the way that the devs make the art is in Blender. They create a 3D structure, set the camera angle/offest, and then render the .png at the end. The artwork is all PNGs. If you want to have an animation, you need to make a giant PNG where each frame of the animation is in a grid in a single PNG. You can look in the factorio install directory (example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\data\base\graphics\entity\assembling-machine-3) to see what I mean.

There are supposedly blender scripts/addons that will render the frames of the animation into a single PNG for you, but I didn't try to make anything animated. The smoke you see in-game is a separate effect. Also, if you intend for things to have a different color (IE: color coded buildings) make a mask for the parts that are going to be colored (see how barrels are done) to make it easy to apply a tint just to the mask layer and change color that way.

The one thing I would ask is to make it look like a nuclear reactor. For a LWR the primary containment vessel is always pill-shaped (the bottom half is underground) due to the pressures it has to withstand. For LMR / MSR reactors, secondary containment buildings normally have squared corners for the same reasons all industrial buildings are squared: it's cheaper. I don't actually care that the buildings have square corners. I'm just explaining why mine did. :p

The turbine hall is always a separate building from primary containment. That's largely because the turbines are as large/larger than the reactor core itself in most cases. And the rats nest of pipework needed to move the steam/working fluid to/from them, cool it down, heat-exchange it, etc.

The cooling tower shape is also fairly specific because it's designed to work passively. That iconic cooling tower shape is a physics choice, built at the scale they are, it naturally draws air in at the bottom and exhausts it out the top without any need for fans internally. You MUST have a heatsink for a nuclear reactor (the cooling tower is a heat sink). It doesn't have the be the hyperboloid shape we associate with nuclear power, but it does have to be pretty massive. If you don't have a hyperboloid cooling tower, you generally are using a giant body of water to cool your reactor.

So, I guess I'm trying to say, there are 3 buildings for every site. The reactor building, the turbine hall, and the cooling solution. The fence I have around all the buildings is to help place the entities, so you can see where the borders are. I have a different solution for that now, so if your models don't include a perimeter fence, I can easily add a border to them.

2 years ago

Since you're aiming for realism, do you have any reference photos of sites you particularly like?

2 years ago

Since you're aiming for realism, do you have any reference photos of sites you particularly like? I'm only really familiar with the Palo Verde site
https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/palo1.html
https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/palo2.html
https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/palo3.html

2 years ago

Kinda-sorta. LMR and MSR reactors have never been built at production scale. Well, LMRs have, but they're exceedingly rare and mostly in the Soviet Union/Russia.

LWR: https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2014/mar/29/watts-bar-staff-swells-to-5000nuclear-power/135727/ The cooling towers are fairly obvious. The two cylinders with domed tops are the secondary containment around the reactor cores, and the rectangular building between the two cylinders is the turbine hall. Watts Bar has two reactor cores, but all my in-game assets only have one. If the liquid system in the game was more UPS friendly, I'd have made the reactor vessels, cooling towers, and turbine halls all separate entities that could be jigsawed together. Such is life. Watts Bar has 2 reactors, as mentioned, and each one produces ~1.1GW. In-game, my LWR produces ~500MW. So, things wouldn't be half the size, but you can still get a decent sense of scale for how small/massive various components are. When you look at how massive secondary containment is vs the reactor pressure vessel itself...it's quite shocking, isn't it? (photos of that below)

More on Watts Bar: behind the turbine hall (to it's right) the black sticks is the switchyard, where power gets sent out to the grid. I'm not sure what the large black-topped building is for.

https://www.tva.com/newsroom/watts-bar-2-project/watts-bar-unit-2-timeline
section: 'August 2014—Reactor Vessel Is Assembled' -- This gives you a sense of scale for what a reactor pressure vessel looks like. That RPV houses around a 1GW reactor

section: 'November 2015 – Preparation for Fuel Load' -- The large silver rectangle in front of the guy in the foreground (that is larger than the entire photo) is one of the fuel rod bundles. That photo is taken inside of secondary containment, NOT primary containment. The water you see in the background is the spent fuel pool.

I can't find any good photos to show the size and scale of primary containment at Watts Bar. The reason I pick on Watts Bar is because I actually walked around on-site there for a while (behind the fence, I was invited). I didn't go into any of the hot areas though. Switching to a different kind of reactor plant that's still a LWR, but a different style (it's a BWR instead of a PWR). https://allthingsnuclear.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/DBD-32-Figure-1-bf-equipment-hatch-901x600.jpg that shows the door in primary containment at Browns Ferry nuclear plant. When I say the walls of Primary Containment are 8 feet thick concrete, that door gives you an idea as to what that really looks like. that plug is an 8 foot thick plug in the wall of primary containment. And, important to realize, that photo is taken from inside primary containment, looking outside. The plug is designed to be self-sealing in an overpressure event.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Browns_Ferry_Unit_1_under_construction.jpg What you see here is the reactor pressure vessel for Browns Ferry Unit 1, around a 1.2GWe reactor. Notice the man at the top of the structure walking around, for a sense of scale. Also, the ladder on top of the domed-cap in the foreground. Primary containment goes around the thing you see in this photo. Secondary containment is the building you'd actually see with your own eyes, from photos.

More replies to come with data on LMR/MSR reactors. But just tossing this chunk out.

2 years ago

LMR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NKdWV5SCg (around 3:30 minutes he shows photos of site construction). A small reactor for testing, but it shows a lot of the same concepts a bigger plant would use, just smaller.

MSR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyDbq5HRs0o That has better views of how a LFTR (liquid Florine thorium reactor -- a type of MSR) is built than I can find anywhere else. This reactor was small, only around 3 MWth, but the overall design and layout just get bigger with a real MSR. The MSR my mod uses is actually a theoretical design based on uranium, instead of thorium. But...close enough for my tastes.

The major thing to note with both MSRs and LMR reactors is how much smaller they are compared to their LWR cousins. This is because they don't need the massive primary containment structure to guard against explosions, since both designs are capable of operating at low pressures. I can't find any really great photos of either, because they tend to be used by militaries and are thus classified in terms of actual photos. Heck, even photos of how a LWR works are pretty rare because they worry about being attacked/bombed/etc. Still, I think you can get the overall design logic from what I've shown you.

2 years ago

@-Fidget-

It would be awesome if you could rework the graphics!
Maybe something that doesn't block so much of the background? Because it is so tall, it is easy to hide stuff behind it.
I also notice that my spidertrons get stuck when trying to walk through it, slightly annoying, but I think that is because it has such a large base.

2 years ago

@Kingdud
Thanks for doing all of this work, awesome realism and attention to detail.

@-Fidget-
I'm curious as to any progress on this. This mod is great and deserves to look good ! : )

New response