Next Gen Evolution

by Qon

Nests absorbing pollution causes evolution to increase instead of when it is produced. An improvement to vanilla pollution evolution behaviour. Default values are balanced to allow you to turn vanilla pollution evolution factor off without changing difficulty but everything is Qonfigurable. Doesn't impact UPS. /ngevolution to see evolution factor

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

g Balance

4 years ago

Hi,

So I'm playing a new game. Deathworld, with RSO, Bob's, Angels, Bio-Induestues, NE and Rampant.
It's actually the 3rd time I've started over. I've dies twice before at around 20h - Evolution at 50%.

In my previous two games I did not use your Mod and did also not use Rampant's New Enemies.

This game I'm using your mod and do have Rampant's new enemies enabled. I actually find it slightly easier doing that.

I've been playing for about 12h now and my Evolution is at 47%.
Since most other factors are the same. Same Map even, I do feel that using NGE might be causing slightly more evolution than Vanilla's pollution only.

I've not played as green as a can, but have tried to actually kill all Spawner nests that are touched by pollution.

Bottom Line.
I think you might need to tweak the settings to be a littler lower.

P.S.
Do you know of a way to show how much Evolution is caused by each factor affecting it?:
I.E. Evolution due to Time
Evolution due to Destruction
Evolution due to Pollution - Generated in Vanilla / Absorbed with NGE?

Thanks.

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

Well for deathworlds, the ratio of spawners/trees and ground is off compared to vanilla. If you actually cleared out all nests form the pollution cloud your evolution would be lower than vanilla. So you didn't clear all of them. When you have spawners everywhere instead of trees everywhere then spawners will be first to absorb pollution and your evolution will go up quickly.

The defaults were balanced on a railworld with vanilla default native distribution. NGE doesn't affect evolution due to spawner killing so that isn't a factor. It might be possible to move the evolution settings to the world generator instead of runtime-global map settings and through that have a lower evolution due to spawner absorption on deathworlds. But as it is right now I have to use the same settings for all types of worlds.

I might also add a command to set vanilla evolution due to 'pollution produced' to 0 for worlds started before installing NGE so you don't have to use the map settings mod just for that.

For now, if you are playing on deathworld you can reduce the factors to not be as punishing on worlds where spawners absorb more pollution.

Do you know of a way to show how much Evolution is caused by each factor affecting it?:

I don't think I can modify the printout that /evolution gives you, but I could detect when the command is used and then also print some extra stats for the factors I add. But then I need to collect some statistics that the mod doesn't collect at the moment. I'll Qonsider it.

Thanks for reporting on your experience! <3
It might lead to improved death world deafults, if possible!

4 years ago

I did some documentation checks but there doesn't seem to be a way to add NGE settings to the list of evolution settings.

4 years ago

FYI,
I found an error in my setup. I copied a map-string and as a result I had a small pollution factor that should have been "0". It was only 5, but still, it did cause my evolution to be higher than it should have been.

4 years ago

Thanks for telling me, that is useful info.

Default is 9 in vanilla and 45 for pollution absorbed by spawners is based on the fact that typically only a small fraction of your produced pollution actually reaches a nest. So 5 increases evolution from pollution by around 50% (5/9). So that's a Qonsiderable amount. You can adjust it with the mod linked in the description. I might add a feature to Next Gen Evolution that lets you disable vanilla evolution after the map has been made in case you forgot, for when you don't want to install a mod for that.

New response