LaboriousLaboratory - Research by drinking the science packs! deprecated

by Qon

Manually achieve technological prowess without a lab! Why automate research when it can be a slow and laborious process that you have to micromanage? Maybe automate it with my mod HandyHands for extra silliness?

Utilities
4 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

g What settings do you use and how do you play with the mod?

5 years ago

As the title says: What settings do you use?
Speed and productivity multipliers, that is.
Also your motivation for the settings you chose would be nice to hear about.
If you use default settings then I want to hear that too.

Also would be nice to know how you use or plan to use the mod. Are you doing all the red science with this to avoid pollution but later switch to using labs for green science? Maybe you play like a nomad with no permanent base and just handcraft everything until you get the rocket silo, never placing down any assemblers or labs at all?

5 years ago

Two days ago I started a 600% Biter nest, Rampant, Deathworld. I hand-mined up until turrets because coal burner drills summoned the swarm too early for me to deal with them. You have no idea how much I could have used this mod 2 days ago ;)

5 years ago

Sounds like you got past the defenceless stage then at least ;)
I recently tried a deathworld setting but it was impossible to get anything done with my seed unless I made a plate per minute because I was killed by the same swarm as soon as I respawned (they stayed around my respawn point!). Didn't get a chance to set up a lab in peace really ^^

5 years ago
(updated 5 years ago)

I'm going to lock labs and many other initial techs behind actual researches.

5 years ago

Sounds painful :)
Does that mean you also want to make hand-research extra slow by lowering the speed and productivity settings?

4 years ago

I'm planning to pair this up with the "Alone in the Dark" mod along with alien biomes, among others, to create a dying planet with no sunlight. I cranked down the tree worldgen to be almost non-existent in the world, this mod mostly fits to make sure I can progress research even if I never see a tree.

4 years ago

That's a cool and unexpected use of the mod. Seems pretty hardcore. If you progress with it, fail or win then feel free to tell me more :)

3 years ago

I use this to deal with the situation when combinations of mods I'm trying out make it impossible to get started - eg I'm playing now with Rubber Belts, where belts need resin, and Bio Industries where resin is behind research. But I can't build a lab without belts. This mod lets me dig myself out of the hole.

3 years ago

Neat! Did you find this mod before you noticed that you would get stuck or did you search for it once you tried to make your first lab with your mod combo?

3 years ago

The latter - I'm afraid I forget what exactly led me to it, but I thought, there must be a mod to let you do science in hand, that'll let me rescue this game.

3 years ago

It's like the r34 of Factorio xD

New response