LTN Combinator Modernized

Add a combinator with friendly GUI to manage LTN Control Signals for each LTN Train Stop

Content
5 months ago
1.0 - 1.1
Trains Circuit network

g Combinator behavior

11 months ago

so ive noticed that blueprinting a requester station doesnt remember the checkmark, but a provider station does.
I dont know if this is intended behavior or not? It's not too bothersome since it remembers all the settings anyway, but having to go in and click the checkmark is an extra step in any case.

There were also some unintended migrations issues i saw.(https://imgur.com/a/iMc1Hqq)
Though those are easy fixes as long as you remake the blueprints from zero. I just wanted to point them out in case they are not intended to still exist.
Specifically redoing the blueprint does not work. it has to be a blank blueprint to fix it remembering the weird behavior.
This is still in current version(2.0.3) btw. though we had the server on 2.0.1 first. so it might have been a remnant

11 months ago

No, the requester service being disabled upon placing a blueprint is an intended (default) behavior. In mod settings you can choose if the requester, provider, both, or none are disabled when placing combinators. The default is to disable the requester service so that requests are not generated before the station is ready to receive them, but it is just a setting.

I'm not quite sure, but are you describing another problem in addition to that behavior?

11 months ago

ah okay. gotta check the settings then.

i dont think its a problem, just us updating to 2.0.1 on an existing map, then updating to 2.0.3.
blueprints tend to (still) break if they had LTN combinators in it from before the upgrade to version 2. The solution is to delete the blueprint and grab a clean blank one from the game and recreate it.
it should be a non-issue as long as its not a pre-existing map.

11 months ago

It is acting weird.

If I set the setting to disable requester combinator, it also removes the checkmark for requester, in addition to disabling it. Meaning I have to specify what kind of LTN Combinator it is, and enabling it. but if I set the setting to disable nothing, it doesnt remove the checkmark, meaning I can just set the requested items and then enable it., since all my blueprints have it disabled.

It seems like setting it to disable Requester, it removes the checkmark in addition to disabling the requester.
My current workaround is to simply have it set to disable none, but I liked the added security of only disabling it, it didnt do this before the update.

One sidenote aswell, there isnt a setting anymore to have it view the network config by defualt anymore, unless Im blind ofc.

11 months ago

Rexa,

Correct, the network config isn't a separate panel. It replaces the Entity preview. Would you be looking to have it be a separate panel, or would having the netconfig be default instead of the preview work?

The Checkmark is the indicator on weather or not it is "enabled". I really need to update some documentation. :/

When the checkmarks are gone, the "service" is disabled. And by disabled I mean there is a high request or provide threshold set on the combinator. You can always (except when a depot) set any signal you want on the combinator. Even the thresholds. If the "service" is disabled your thresholds will show up as red. This means that they are stored, but the high threshold is sent on the wire to disable that "service". Once you check (enable) requester or provider your configured thresholds are sent on the wire.

Does this help? I think it may also make sense to change the labels for the "Requester" and "Provider" checkboxes to "Enable Requester" and "Enable Provider". What do you think?

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

It has been a bit of a small nightmare figuring out why the LTN blueprints quit working properly in the past couple days on the MP server I'm playing on. It would make far more sense to turn the combinator OFF instead of modifying the parameters. The BP book used on the server actually already has them off by default for the very reason you said, "so that requests are not generated before the station is ready to receive them".

I would much prefer it if the LTN combinator was turned OFF when placing a requester instead of unchecking the requester checkmark.

Also when placing blueprints the LTN combinators also get the provider checkbox checked even if the "disable newly placed LTN combinators" is set to NONE. Making the station both a provider and requester station.

[edit]
Seems "Making the station both a provider and requester station" I mentioned only happens with OLD ltn combinator blueprints that are checked to be a requester. If you make them fresh that stops happening.

[edit]
And OLD bp of providers get the requester checkbox ticked (if the disable newly placced LTN Combinators is set to none) in addition of having provider checked.

11 months ago

I am working on fixing the issue with old bluprints not getting set up right. Should have that fixed soon. I am also changing language and adding descriptions to the disable combinator settings that I hope will clear up most all of the confustion.

There is a lot of confusion around all of this and most of it seems to stem from a misunderstanding on how LTN works. LTN does NOT have Provider and Requester stations. It just doesn't. All LTN stations are simultaneously capble of requesting and providing items. The only way to force a station not request or provide is to have a request or provide threshold higher than you can ever have on hand or have room for. That is the mechanism LTN Combinator uses to make a station a "Provider" or "Requester" station. This can ONLY be done if the combinator is ON. If the combinator is OFF, no signals are sent to the station, so it uses the LTN default and makes it both a Provider and a Requester. In most every situation you DO NOT want the LTN Combinator to be OFF.

If you have a requester station that has 100,000 Copper Ore on hand and you turn the LTN Combinator OFF, this station now becomes a Copper Ore provider. The only thing keeping it from advertizing it has 100,000 available to provide is either a high provide threshold, or a negative Copper Ore signal from the LTN combinator to counter the positive Copper Ore signal coming in from the storage containers. If you turn the LTN Combinator OFF, it will advertize Copper Ore available if it is over the LTN configured threshold which is 1000 by default.

You DO NOT want your combinator turned off.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

Generally when you are placing blueprints you are setting up new stations and thus they aren't going to have any contents to worry about. I'm fully aware that provider/requester checkbox are just "sugar" provided by LTN combinator. The sugar provided by LTN Combinator is why I use it over a regular constant combinator.

People setup their blueprints the way they want them to be and expect them to work exactly the way they were made every single time.

You've made this change to disable the "requester checkbox" only a couple days ago and already have 3 people saying the change is disliked. No one here is confused on the concept of requester or provider "station". We are all confused on why our blueprints (and only the requester ones at that) aren't working right thinking it is a bug in the 2.x.x versions and instead learning it was a deliberate choice to break the placing of LTN Combinator blueprints setup to be "requester stations" and only those ones at that.

11 months ago
(updated 11 months ago)

@credomane

That is a completely fair criticism (and observation). I will make an attempt to have both sorts of behavior available.

There is in fact a bug that is messing with placing blueprints right now that is making the change in the "sugar" quite painful for some, and I have a handle on how to fix that. A year (or more) ago when first took over this mod, there was confusion over how the "sugar" worked then too. I do think I "added" versatility and made the provider / requester semantics more intuitive, but realize that may not have been the case.

I have a full weekend with RL, but will add an option to not mess with thresholds, but instead build powerd off when combinators are placed.

Thanks for the feedback and context.

11 months ago

You are doing a fantastic job with the mod. I feel like I came off rude last night. It was late, I was tired and getting frustrated but that's no excuse for being rude to you. You're working on the mod for free and on your own time. I'm sorry for being a jerk.

You are trying to fix up the mod and implement better defaults/features. I appreciated that. We got that requester setting changed and are making do with the growing pains in the new versions. No rush enjoy your weekend!

11 months ago

I think I have the pre-2.0 blueprint bug squashed. I have also made some updates to names and descriptions of the mod settings. Hopefully this will provide a path that is more intuitive to use.

I will also add the abilty to build the combinators powered off, but that will be a future feature. I wanted to get a fix for the BP builds and a crash out quickly.

New response