Inlaid UV-lamp

by Pi-C

Add compatibility with "Schall Lamp Contrast", "Inlaid Lamps Extended", and "Inlaid Lamps 2" to "Will-o'-the-Wisps". Mainly, the UV-lamp will be changed to an inlaid lamp that vehicles can drive over without harming it. Please note: For best results, only one of the inlaid lamp mods should be active!

Tweaks
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

i [Implemented] UV Lamp - keep original

2 years ago

When used in conjunction with the Will-o-the-wisps mod, can the inlaid uv lamp recipe not replace the original? Have em both at the same time.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

When used in conjunction with the Will-o-the-wisps mod,

Anything else doesn't make sense -- without Will-o-the-wisps, there wouldn't be a UV-lamp to replace. :-)

can the inlaid uv lamp recipe not replace the original? Have em both at the same time.

Why would you want to do that?

Also: What inlaid-lamp mod do you use? SchallLampContrast directly overwrites the vanilla lamp while the InlaidLampsExtended mods create new lamps and don't touch the vanilla lamp. So, if SchallLampContrast is active, I just add difficulties to the inlaid-lamp recipe (applying a factor to crafting time and to all ingredients but the lamp), if another mod is active, I first exchange the vanilla lamp for the inlaid lamp.

Creating another recipe would make no sense at all for SchallLampContrast, because that would be almost identical to the original recipe from Will-o-the-wisps. Creating another recipe for the other mods seems strange as well because both recipes would produce an inlaid UV-lamp -- regardless of whether a vanilla lamp or an inlaid lamp was used as input. I mean, if I put some red color on a white light bulb, I'll get a red light bulb -- not a flat one. :-)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

I use the Inlaid Lamps Extended. I’d like to have the option between the two for style purposes. Most areas where I use it, I don’t need the inlaid and have it next to the normal lamp, so would like them to match, then just use the inlaid for where it’s actually needed (I’d almost like to see the inlaid recipe be a bit more expensive/use some brick or concrete, but I’m assuming I should bring that up to the other mod’s author).

2 years ago

I use the Inlaid Lamps Extended. I’d like to have the option between the two for style purposes. Most areas where I use it, I don’t need the inlaid and have it next to the normal lamp, so would like them to match, then just use the inlaid for where it’s actually needed

If I get this right, what you really want is not another recipe, but another entity, so you can place both the original UV-lamp and the inlaid version. It wouldn't be too hard to add a new entity, recipe, and item. However, it would be useless: You could place both UV-lamps, but only one kind would have an effect. Will-o-the-Wisps adds all UV-lamps to a list when they are placed, and will only act on entities that are in this list. Currently, it looks just for its own UV-lamp, so it wouldn't register the other kind. This must be changed on the other end.

(I’d almost like to see the inlaid recipe be a bit more expensive/use some brick or concrete, but I’m assuming I should bring that up to the other mod’s author).

Do you mean the recipe for the default inlaid lamp (not the inlaid UV-lamp)? I guess I could make that more expensive as well.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

If I get this right, what you really want is not another recipe, but another entity, so you can place both the original UV-lamp and the inlaid version. It wouldn't be too hard to add a new entity, recipe, and item. However, it would be useless: You could place both UV-lamps, but only one kind would have an effect. Will-o-the-Wisps adds all UV-lamps to a list when they are placed, and will only act on entities that are in this list. Currently, it looks just for its own UV-lamp, so it wouldn't register the other kind. This must be changed on the other end.

Well, what I was looking for was the normal UV lamp recipe left as is, then have a separate inlaid UV lamp recipe, but ok, I didn't realize that about how the other mod works. Hmm, I wonder if that mod author is still active.... Maybe they'd be willing to add a remote.call() to their mod so that other mod added entities could be used? I'll ask. :)

(I’d almost like to see the inlaid recipe be a bit more expensive/use some brick or concrete, but I’m assuming I should bring that up to the other mod’s author).

Do you mean the recipe for the default inlaid lamp (not the inlaid UV-lamp)? I guess I could make that more expensive as well.

Yeah, sorry, didn't notice that the inlaid UV lamp has the regular inlaid lamp as a recipe requirement. So, yes, the regular inlaid lamp I think would look better (make more sense?) with some added stone brick/concrete, maybe? Doesn't have to be much, just something to symbolize you're (essentially) pushing this lamp down into a hole in the ground, and the brick/concrete is used to shore it up/make sure it doesn't sink any further when something (like a car) passes over it. If you do this, I would recommend it as a setting that defaults to current behavior, though.

EDIT: Scratch the whole comment on adding brick/concrete. That really should be a request I'm bringing up with the inlaid lamps mod, not this one.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Hopefully the will-o-the-wisps mod will soon have a remote.call(), so you can add the inlaid UV lamp as a second recipe & item vs overriding the original:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Will-o-the-Wisps_updated/discussion/618e9b31ab661bcfc64a482f

:)

2 years ago

It's a bit more complicated than that: The second recipe only makes sense for the "Inlaid Lamps" mod, but not for "SchallLampContrast" (because that one replaces the vanilla lamp). But thanks for requesting the interface! If that is added, I'll make the necessary changes here.

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Well, yes, but a simple check of which mod is installed should solve that?
if mods["InlaidLampsExtended"] then
--code for adding, but not replacing
elseif mods["SchallLampContrast"] then
--code for replacing
end

(Grr, trying to figure out the markdown style for the mod portal is annoying....)

2 years ago

Yeah, sorry, didn't notice that the inlaid UV lamp has the regular inlaid lamp as a recipe requirement. So, yes, the regular inlaid lamp I think would look better (make more sense?) with some added stone brick/concrete, maybe? Doesn't have to be much, just something to symbolize you're (essentially) pushing this lamp down into a hole in the ground, and the brick/concrete is used to shore it up/make sure it doesn't sink any further when something (like a car) passes over it. If you do this, I would recommend it as a setting that defaults to current behavior, though.

EDIT: Scratch the whole comment on adding brick/concrete. That really should be a request I'm bringing up with the inlaid lamps mod, not this one.

Oh, and I didn't even notice that you had collaborator permissions to Inlaid Lamps Extended... so I guess you were the right person to bring that up to, anyway, even if I put it in the wrong mod's comments. :P

2 years ago

Something like that. I think there were several versions of "InlaidLamps" around -- not sure if they still all exist. Also, I wonder what would happen if both InlaidLamps and SchallLampContrast are used …

2 years ago

Oh, and I didn't even notice that you had collaborator permissions to Inlaid Lamps Extended... so I guess you were the right person to bring that up to, anyway, even if I put it in the wrong mod's comments. :P

Oh, right! I've completely forgotten that. :-D

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Something like that. I think there were several versions of "InlaidLamps" around -- not sure if they still all exist. Also, I wonder what would happen if both InlaidLamps and SchallLampContrast are used …

I haven't done a thorough search, but I believe Inlaid Lamps Extended (and of course Schall's) is the only one up to Factorio 1.1.

That's a good question about both at the same time. I think, without actually testing or anything, you'd just end up with 2 versions of inlaid lamps. I wonder if it may be worth it modifying Inlaid Lamps Extended to restore the original lamp graphics and collision box if Schall's is installed, or just mark them as incompatible (due to duplicating efforts).

2 years ago

I haven't done a thorough search, but I believe Inlaid Lamps Extended (and of course Schall's) is the only one up to Factorio 1.1.

You're right, ownlyme's fork of InlaidLampsExtended was last updated about 1.5 years ago. I guess it's time to clean up and stop supporting it. And as I really do have access to ILE, I can also fix the ridiculous recipes (both the small and the big lamp are just 1:1 copies of the vanilla lamp recipe, just with a different result) right at the source and remove that from Inlaid UV-lamps as well.

The purpose of inlaid lamps is to protect the lamps from damage by cars/tanks. They don't need to be available right from the start, you could easily get along without them for a while. So, how about adding a lamp, steel, and bricks to the recipe?

That's a good question about both at the same time. I think, without actually testing or anything, you'd just end up with 2 versions of inlaid lamps. I wonder if it may be worth it modifying Inlaid Lamps Extended to restore the original lamp graphics and collision box if Schall's is installed, or just mark them as incompatible (due to duplicating efforts).

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

The purpose of inlaid lamps is to protect the lamps from damage by cars/tanks. They don't need to be available right from the start, you could easily get along without them for a while. So, how about adding a lamp, steel, and bricks to the recipe?

That sounds fine to me.

2 years ago

I've just uploaded new releases of Inlaid UV-lamps (1.1.1) and Inlaid Lamps Extended (1.1.2). Hope you like it! :-)

New response