Ice Ore

The mod adds Ice-Ore, hard snow as frozen water.

Content
1 year, 11 months ago
0.15 - 1.1
Mining

b [Resolved] [0.2.3, 0.17.43] Ice Ore crash when starting a new world

Qon β˜†
4 years ago

Didn't matter if I turned Ice Ore spawning on/off with the checkbox:

The mod Ice Ore caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event IceOre::on_init()
Entity ice-ore is not autoplacable
stack traceback:
IceOre/control.lua:7: in function <IceOre/control.lua:6>
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'regenerate_entity'
IceOre/control.lua:7: in function <IceOre/control.lua:6>

4 years ago

Do you have the RSO?

Qon β˜†
4 years ago

Nope. But I tested with Basic Sea Block and without. With BSB: Ice Ore crashes.

4 years ago

I have no idea how Ice Ore mod can work with the Sea Block. Icebergs?

Qon β˜†
4 years ago

It shouldn't crash at least ;). "All Minable", "Leighzer's Science Ores" and "Leighzer's Buried Science" don't crash the game with BSB.

I asked BSB author to separate world gen from the recipes and buildings added. So then you could melt ice and make algea from melted ice instead of offshore pumps. BSB is a mod that allows you to make anything from water. Ice Ore is a mod that gives you water from ice. It's a perfect combination as long as the power used by Ice Ore melting isn't higher than the amount of fuel you can make from algea...

4 years ago

Yeah, for balancing reason in this situation it must be much cheaper.

How much energy is in fuel from 1 algae and how much algae has water / melted ice?

Qon β˜†
4 years ago

Well since everything needs to be included the simplest way to calculate it would be to just run Factorio until you get equilibrium for 10 minutes and read the stats and from that see how much energy you can get out of the system from pure ice ore, if anything. But since the mod crashes when you combine it with BSB I can't do that. And the BSB recipes are somewhat complicated to make for interesting gameplay so I'm not going to do all the mathematical calculations atm.

But BSB is balanced with unlimited free water in mind and has long slow recipes in chains to make the "free" ores, stone and coal a bit hard to get. Which means that it requires quite a bit of time and energy to make a roundtrip and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the coal you can get out of the BSB loop is less than the energy required to maintain the water flow from ice ore.

4 years ago

Now it's possible to play;
now is possible to find ice ore patches on the map.

Qon β˜†
4 years ago

Thanks! <3
Now I was able to run Factorio to test the balance and made a test factory. I'll post my findings in the balance thread in a while.

New response