HandyHands - Automatic handcrafting

by Qon

Automatically start handcrafting an item that is quickbar filtered (or in logistics requests) that you don't have enough of whenever your crafting queue is empty. Prioritises items in your cursor and what you need the most. It's like having logistics deliveries for early game!

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

i [Implemented] Great Mod, but settings....

4 years ago

I like not having to go into a menu to change the settings, but could you add a button to the HUD or something?

4 years ago

Yes, I'm planning on adding a button to toggle HandyHands on/off.
Was that what you had in mind?

4 years ago

No, I meant like a setting for how much of an item to make (Currently you can cycle the amount of stacks, but you could add a setting that let us specify"Always 50 of this item regardless of stacksize" or something)

Also, a blacklist system. It keeps crafting Repair Packs if my construction bots use them, and I'd like to be able to blacklist them from the crafting.

4 years ago

No, I meant like a setting for how much of an item to make (Currently you can cycle the amount of stacks, but you could add a setting that let us specify"Always 50 of this item regardless of stacksize" or something)

It's not like stack sizes are changing, right? When you set the limit you already see the limit as relative to the stacksize and as an absolute unit. Are you asking for the counts to not be relative to the stacksize (switching between maybe 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 300 and 400) for all items, or are you asking for the ability to type in an exact absolute number for the limit?

Also, a blacklist system. It keeps crafting Repair Packs if my construction bots use them, and I'd like to be able to blacklist them from the crafting.

That is already a feature! If you have an item in your cursor and use the hotkeys to change the limits then the setting only apply to that specific item. You can also autocraft items that are not on your quickbar giving one of those items an individual setting.

If you haven't tried setting individual limits for items yet then maybe you don't even feel like you need the first suggestion once you have tried this. Test it :)

4 years ago

I'm thinking that maybe I should unlock the logistics GUI immediately (without requiring the research) and use it for HandyHands crafting requests until you have researched logistics robots. At that point, most people probably disable HandyHands anyways so you don't need the GUI for both at the same time.

Does this sound good to you? Also, logistics request slots will be combined with trash slots in the GUI and be unlimited in amount of slots when the GUI update is released https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-289

4 years ago

Just to provide a second opinion, I love the way it is now with keyboard shortcuts for changing settings. And I use Handy Hands well into the late game despite having unlocked logistics because sometimes I'm out in the boonies and I didn't bring enough stack inserters or whatever.

4 years ago

Just to provide a second opinion, I love the way it is now with keyboard shortcuts for changing settings. And I use Handy Hands well into the late game despite having unlocked logistics because sometimes I'm out in the boonies and I didn't bring enough stack inserters or whatever.

4 years ago

I love the way it is now with keyboard shortcuts for changing settings.

Me too :) It's not going away even if I add some GUI stuff on top. It's very quick to set up and not as fiddly as using the GUI since finding items on the quickbar is so fast and the hotkeys gives you the value faster than a slider. The GUI stuff on top though might be "removed" as in not connected any longer to HandyHands once you research character-logistics-slots-1 so that you can use them for logistics requests without crafting stuff. I don't want to bloat the code with 10 times more lines just to add an ugly GUI that almost no-one uses and when I can just repurpose the request slots that HandyHands are an early game low-tech replacement for.

I'm considering making a mod that lets you modify logistics+trash slots like you can with HandyHands. I almost always request 1 stack and trash 1 stack for every item or 0 for both. But maybe I can come up with an even better behaviour that fits those slots even better?

And I use Handy Hands well into the late game despite having unlocked logistics because sometimes I'm out in the boonies and I didn't bring enough stack inserters or whatever.

Yeah letting HandyHands convert the inserters to stack inserters so you don't have to request/carry both is a pretty good use case! Autocrafting landfill is a good way to get rid of a lot of stone (a bit like trash slot) from your inventory since it removes a full stack of stone in 1.2 seconds. Well at least now that you can autocraft without having landfill on your quickbar at least.

4 years ago

A shortcut toggle is added in HandyHands 1.7.9 (unreleased as of now). I'll upload it once it has been tested a bit so I know it doesn't break anything.

I'm unlikely to start work on making logistics slots able to modify auto craft limits before the GUI update.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Well the GUI update happened. I'm qonsidering making logistics slots candidates for autocrafting now. This way we can have our GUI and I don't have to write an ugly imitation (because of API limitations) of it.

So my question is, is there a point to having a separation of crafting requests and logistics requests? Maybe HandyHands own internal request list can be removed now if I just enable logistics requests from the start, without the need for research? If I remove things you would not be able to have some things only logistics requested and other things only autocrafted. But does that matter?

But there's also the possibility having both. And maybe an option for individual players if they want the logistics and handyhands autocraft requests merged?

Edit: 2h later, it's implemented in v1.10.0. I might wait a day or so with the release for testing and rethinking how settings should be prioritised etc. Nothing has been removed yet though.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Features have been implemented and released!

Version: 1.10.0
Major Features:
- HandyHands can now treat personal logistics requests as autocraft requests. This will enable personal
logistics slots for all forces that have a player that wants this (whole force because of Factorio engine/API).
It will not enable any recipes or other bonuses like trash slots that the research that otherwise
enables this, and it will not affect any research. The mod will never disable personal logistics slots.
This feature was implemented for the related request to have a GUI for HandyHands requests
- There's a setting so that treating quickbar slots as autocraft requests is optional.
This is still possible to achieve with the old method: setting the default request amount to 0.
This setting means you can set it up before the game starts and only use logistics requests
and individual item HandyHands settings (with the hotkeys) and you don't have to spam J a bunch
of times in each new world.

New response