Gizmos Car Keys (improved)

by Pi-C

Tired of running to your vehicle? Then let it come to you! This mod is based on "Gizmos Car Keys" by aodgizmo. It works with most modded car and spider-vehicle prototypes -- not just vanilla cars.

Content
2 months ago
0.17 - 1.1
Transportation

b [Fixed] Mod Compatibility

3 years ago

There is a compatibility issue with Car Keys and at the very least the tutorial. Not sure it is worth trying to fix since so far at least, there is no car to use it on, but at the same time the possibility is out there for someone to have the mod loaded and try to play the tutorial. (Like I did...since I didn't need it, at least not for level 1, I just disabled it, but now when I go back to one of my normal games, I have to re-enable it first.) I also don't remember if I had the same issue with any of the other scenarios. If you decide to look into it and can't duplicate it, I can get you the error message it popped it but didn't write it down when it happened earlier.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I already had a working copy for 0.18.8 that loads successfully. Seems I've already resolved the bug there! I'll prepare one more release for 0.17/0.18 fixing just this bug. Meanwhile, please edit control.lua (lines 1020/1021) to solve this problem locally:

-- OLD:
    --  Remove messages rendered on the ground rendered for the player
    for _, msg in ipairs(global.render_msgs[player_id]) do

-- NEW:
    --  Remove messages rendered on the ground rendered for the player
    for _, msg in ipairs(global.render_msgs[player_id] or {}) do
3 years ago

That worked, thanks. I know it's an odd scenario (how many people besides myself go back and play the tutorial after getting into the main game?) but I can think of some more legitimate cases as well like multiple people playing games on the same computer/license. Nice to have it working.

If it changes how you approach things, for the record I've updated to 1.0.0 so for me personally, one more 0.17/0.18 release isn't going to make much of a difference. The only reason I can think of that I might need it is if I downgrade far enough to play the npe scenario again but as much as I liked it (and it got me hooked...sad to see they got rid of it), I don't see that happening for other reasons.

3 years ago

That worked, thanks. I know it's an odd scenario (how many people besides myself go back and play the tutorial after getting into the main game?) but I can think of some more legitimate cases as well like multiple people playing games on the same computer/license. Nice to have it working.

I've found this note in the changelog of the yet unreleased version:

Fixed crash when the last player was removed from the game. This could be triggered in single player mode by starting the scenario "Transport belt madness".

So it's not only about the tutorial, but could also be problematic in multiplayer. (Not sure -- is it possible that a game is running without any players connected?)

If it changes how you approach things, for the record I've updated to 1.0.0 so for me personally, one more 0.17/0.18 release isn't going to make much of a difference.

The new 0.18 version should run in 1.0 -- that's what the devs have said, and I've got it to load there as well. So it's not much more work, but I at least can indulge in this warm, fuzzy feeling that I've left the final releases in a clean, bug-free state for anybody who'd like to continue with their old base, or to explore the history of Factorio by starting a new game in an old version. I like not to force anybody to upgrade unless it's really necessary: new, incompatible features are a legit reason, crashes are not. :-)

3 years ago

Just uploaded 0.17.18/0.18.8 …

New response