Frozen World

Stuck on an ice world with seas of methane and and an ammonia atmosphere. The only organic material on the planet appears to be a vicious native animal! Can you survive long enough to escape?

Mod packs
3 years ago
0.16 - 1.1

g Initial Impressions (v0.0.1):

6 years ago

Love the setting, methane from the sea is an interesting variation.
Few main concerns:
1) I was using power lines as fuel, intended?
2) Pickaxe broke before I had the ability to replace, after scrabbling in the dirt for 5 mins I used console commands to give myself more ice.
3) Ran out of bullets while fighting biters, died, body had the oxygen tanks so I couldn't recover it, used console command to give myself pellets.
4) Also used commands to give myself coal when I notice my power lines running low.

My last point, I just want to make clear that I wasn't a fan of seablock, mostly because a blank world wasn't that interesting, but also the whole process of "all ore comes from water" felt a bit like a novelty that wore off quickly. So I was a little disappointed that the same thing seemed to happen with the ice ore. I don't know if that's the preferred direction you're taking the mod or if you have something else in mind.

In any case, interesting setting, with a few balance tweaks it should be a good challenge for people.

6 years ago

Yes, cool idea, thumps up!

I have another idea, what about body heat. If the Factorio-Playercharacter is a human, he will have a problem with temperatures that make methane liquid - it's liquid between -164°C and -182°C. The character can slowly lose hitpoints when too cold.

Machines generate heat, we could just use pollution as a measure for that. Character doesn't lose hitpoints when in an area with pollution. And he has some heating pads in inventory, like Oxygen.

Problem is, that makes the earlygame even harder...

6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, I'm quite pleased at the positive reception! I've had a bit of feedback from a few other sources as well, and as it stands the current todo list is:
-Optimise early game for less grindiness
-Ditch cellulose entirely for early game, consider methane/oxygen mix for fuel
-Create new machine for creating seeds from recombining algae
-Make ice fields infinite
-Disable most things as fuel, allow player to make oxygen/fuel combo pellets
-Overhaul or disable washing plants
-Avoid biters dropping loot - this kills servers

Essentially, this should eliminate the problems you were having Vetrosian, but it'll take a little while to get the balancing right. I was perhaps a little over-eager with publishing it so soon :P In regards to the "all ore from water" thing, I am quite attached to the idea, I think making the other ores available would really reduce the challenge. The setups should be quite different in this pack though.

Gully - I like this idea, it'd certainly up the challenge. I can pretty much add it as a tweak to the Oxygen code... I'll look into it.

6 years ago

Nice idea. This is a bit like seablock, but this time you don't have infinite water without work and you have to care regulary about biters, which adds another dimension. Also the oxygen problem enforces, to not simply afk. On the other hand, space is not a problem. I also like the idea, to have to get some biters to actually progress.

Just some thoughts:
- Add ice rocks, which yield a big amount of ice ore similar to vanilla stone rocks.
- Maybe reenable the burner mining drill. The pick axe lasts for 35 ice ore, which is not enough to research a new one. And even with pick axe, its quite tedious to mine it.
- For washing, you could add a mud source, which can be liquified to mud water skipping the seafloor pump. In seablock, its also used to get starting sulfur.

6 years ago

For the early game, I've given the player 4 electric mining drills. This basically solves the problem of tedious ice gathering in the beginning, without making it too easy (4 is barely enough to keep a basic copper/iron from mineral water setup going). Sadly I've had to remove the biter loot drops. I wish I could get away with it, because I feel it adds a lot to the game, but it murders server performance in my tests.

Good call on the seafloor pump. I was thinking of making a couple extra recipes to turn crushed stone into sand, then sand+water into mud water. I'd just disable the seafloor pump altogether. It might take a little balancing, but it shouldn't be difficult.

6 years ago

Maybe, its possible to spawn special entites like a tree or rock or whatever only near biter bases, which gives some stuff, which could be used as starter fuel.
Once green algae is started, its technically not necessary anymore. But it could be used also for advanced tech later...

New response