Force Fields

Adds multiple types of electric powered, self healing walls to keep the biters out.

Content
2 years ago
0.16 - 1.1
Combat

i A matter of opinion

3 years ago

I know you're not the original dev, but I like concept and glad to see you've maintained it. I'm still waiting for all the research to be done so I can actually start building and playing with them in my main test base before using it in my base with enemies enabled, but in the process I have run across one bug that doesn't affect anything other than visually and an opinion for consideration.

The bug: Green walls/gates require Military Science Packs, but in the current tech tree (maybe it changed...I haven't been playing all that long relatively speaking) it is not a prerequisite to unlock the upgrade. It unlocks ok, just possibly before it should.

The opinion: I admittedly haven't built one yet and it's one of those things I don't normally say anything about as everyone probably has an opinion. This one seemed so far skewed I felt the need to say something though....based on the mod description and similar level tech, I think the research costs are absurdly over priced. For that kind of price I'm hoping this is one hell of a wall. That said the recipe cost for the emitter seems reasonable based on what it looks like they'll be able to do so no issues with the high cost there.

3 years ago

the walls are very good, as long as you can provide the power for them. And I'm not a 100% sure I understand what you describe as a bug? Are you saying the green wall is missing a prerequisite on military science technology?

3 years ago

Yep, exactly. It can become available for research without having first researched the Military Science Packs which it uses as an ingredient. (The chemical packs needed for the purple level are there by virtue of them being a prerequisite for other items, but not the military packs.)

As for the research costs, blue doesn't seem that bad, but for green, purple, and red I feel like 1/2 what you have them set for would be better (and still generally on the higher end of tech of similar level.) Like I said though, just my opinion.

Thanks

3 years ago

As you are clear to point out, they are pretty power hungry. Had to work on the power grid supplying my test area but was finally able to really play around with them. Still think the research costs are too high generally and even more so looking at how much power I need to feed them. (Can do it on lower levels obviously, but if you have a large section of higher level walls, you basically need nuclear for the efficiency density...something I'm not complaining about as I didn't have a lot going on with the nuclear option and this gives me more of a reason to use it.) Over all I like them! Thanks for this mod.

Two suggestions:

1. Would it be possible to get a "ghost" wall in there so you can see how a wall is going to map into an area as you are configuring it. (And also see where walls should be while they are respawning/will be on the initial spawn.)

2. Make some upgrade research (which COULD have the higher requirement such as seen on the infinite research items) to speed up respawn and repair times.

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I don't like the idea of a "ghost" wall, mainly because you visually don't see much different in the ghosted wall versus the actual wall (see base game). I could maybe add a 'preview' button that added ghosts temporary while you're reconfiguring it. But not sure if that is that interesting....

I could add some upgrade research. I would add different upgrades to each type of wall. For example

• The purple wall deals AoE damage when destroyed, which is it's main feature. It doesn't make sense to increase the repair speed on those, but rather let it respawn faster
  • The green walls on the other hand are 'slow' walls, as they have a lot of HP. So it doesn't make sense to speed up the respawning, but rather increase the repair speed, so they don't die that fast...
  • I'm not sure how it's currently implemented, depending on that I could make the red wall reflect more damage.
  • Not sure what special effect I could give the regular blue wall then...
  • An overall research effect could be to decrease the energy consumption. This could go hand in hand with the other upgrades: the effect upgrade would increase the energy consumption, so you compensate with the decreasing energy consumption. However I'm not sure if I like that idea because not researching the upgrades means they just consume a lot less power, so you can just spam more layers of walls onto your base...
3 years ago

I can see that logic for not having ghosts for destroyed segments. Guess I was thinking similar to what I've seen in vanilla where a destroyed item leaves a ghost that can be replaced by construction robots if you have the relevant item...doesn't really affect these though as the wall will respawn as long as the emitter isn't destroyed and you have enough power. And you're right, it's easier to tell where the gaps are without the ghost as they are very similar to the actual walls...I can't even begin to count the number of times I've thought a ghost was a real object. Having the preview when configuring it would be great though! I'm getting better at figuring out "distance" but there is still a lot of guessing and then if it doesn't sit exactly where I wanted it, I have to start over....particularly frustrating with the green walls which have a high respawn time. An alternative might be if there is a way to only respawn changed segments instead of the entire wall...for example if one were to change a wall section into a gate section take out that section and respawn the gate based on the current respawn rules, but leave the rest of that emitter's wall segments up. In addition to being a way of addressing my base reasoning, in theory your making those types of changes in "peacetime" and there is plenty of time to deal with the gap in defense, but I have also made on-the-fly changes like that before and a gap of a couple wall segments isn't nearly as bad as losing an entire segment of wall.

I'm not sure what you could do with blue off the top of my head either, but I like the list you put together for the rest. As for energy usage, I'm not sure how I feel about that one either. It is a good concept, but I tend to feel the high energy usage is the "cost of business" for using this type of wall and not sure I would do anything to lower it. Maybe make that the effect for the blue walls? Doesn't make the wall respawn or repair faster, but if you have an area where you need less power usage such as a small remote outpost with not much power generation, you can upgrade the blue walls to use less power...limited of course so it doesn't get too low.

3 years ago

There is the other issue where walls show their stats in a description as well... So I would have to 'swap' the entities for updated ones depending on the research, which is not a big deal.. just a temporary ups draw..

New response