Flow Control

by GotLag

Adds pipes with restricted connections, and several useful valves.

Content
1 year, 3 months ago
0.13 - 1.1
Logistics

a Setting for fill levels

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

It would be nice to have a setting for the fill levels on the overflow and top-up valves. Currently both use the same setting of 80%, which is a bit inconvenient for me.

For example, with Krastorio2 there are a lot of processes that have a secondary fluid output (for example oxygen from water electrolysis for hydrogen) which mustn't fill up or the process stops. But it's also required input for some other process, so I also need primary producers of that fluid. Furthermore there are other processes generating hydrogen as a secondary fluid output (chlorine electrolysis).

So I'd want to set it up like this:
Secondary producers -> straight into the pipes (so this output is used up first)
Mixed producers -> to 80% fill level using overflow valve (so they are used as much as possible without over-filling since they're generally cheaper)
Primary (backup) producers -> to 60% fill level using top-up valve (fallback if the rest don't produce enough)

Basically I'd only really need a way of changing either the top-up valve or the overflow fill level using a setting.

What would also be nice is a third tier, basically an overflow valve with 95% fill level, acting as excess valve or waste valve, if even the secondary producers exceed the demand and some of it needs to be dumped or burned.

For now I made a private mini-mod to make these changes but it'd be nice to have them as settings in Flow Control itself. It works really well with different fill levels, but I imagine that changing the hardcoded values might break some factories.

[edit: fixed use case for mixed producers]

3 years ago

I can add startup settings for those, but as you've seen from modifying them yourself, there can only be one setting per valve type.

If you find yourself needing a range of settings within the same game then I suggest using one-way valves immediately before pumps, and wire the pumps to activate based on the valve contents.

3 years ago

I like the simplicity of the overflow/topup valves and that they work even without electricity, otherwise I could use pumps everywhere instead of them.

I just wanted to suggest this because it might help other people; I've already solved it for myself.

So in any case do as you like!

New response