Fully automated rail-layer

Content
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1
Trains

i intersections and fast cruise option

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Still really appreciating this mod :) so thanks for it.

First the easy one, is there a way you can add a "cruise at max speed" button?
I can see why normal cruise is set to slower than max (so it properly removes and places items etc)
But it would be nice to have a second "max speed cruise" button for when we have modded trains etc and long stretches of stuff where we can safely move faster than the mod normally updates/places stuff.

The second one is tough... any to have an option to "plop down an intersection HERE"?
probably would have to a "plop down an intersection blue-print BEHIND me" option really
So you run over tracks and then after you're past the intersection it would place the blue print.
Doing it before you get there would just be MESSY I'm sure

I'm saving quite a bit of time using FARL to lay most of my rail but then still spending a lot of time placing intersections.
It would be great if we could get FARL to handle this too :)

thanks

PS an a third nice QOL item would be short cut keys for each button :)

3 years ago

Cruise should go at full speed when FARL isn't active. If you wan't a higher speed when it's placing rails you can use
/c remote.call("farl", "setSpeed", 0.8)
(0.4 is the default, in case you want to turn it back down, i think the unit is tiles per second, not sure)

Your second suggestion isn't going to happen anytime soon, there is a ton of changes i want to make, but the current code is so old and partially horrible that it will need a complete rewrite and that takes time i don't have at the moment.

each button? Start/stop and Toggle cruise? (cruise already deactivates if you press S) I'll try to remember adding these next time i work on it.

3 years ago

lol yeah I kinda guessed the second one might a little tougher and even more if the code base is getting old but still had to throw it out there :)
The hard part seems like lining things up properly with the 2 sets of tracks... I'm just picturing an intersection of N-S with E-W rails but I'm sure if you added it people would eventually ask for diagonal intersections next :P

I didn't realize cruise would work without FARL being started. I assumed clicking Start Cruise with FARL==Stop would also toggle FARL==Start as well.
And I do mean I want to be able to have a cruise option with FARL started that really goes full speed without having to do a script command.

Basically the use case is something like this: normal cruise I need when I'm in maintenance mode and in danger of running into other tracks like at intersection when laying down a grid. If I'm going much faster than current cruise speed FARL won't always remove existing things fast enough before trying to place new items and gets errors.
BUT when I'm laying out straight track in completely empty huge tracts of land I don't need to go slow. I can go full speed instead and it works fine even if there is some lag before items get places. So I really wanted to not have to hold W down to keep moving at full speed.

And yeah for toggle keys, I do know you can stop cruise with S, but you can't restart cruise unfortunately with a key stroke. So instead I find myself sitting there with the cursor over the Cruise button waiting and watching for crossing tracks to get close and then clicking and then having to move the mouse to other things immediately. It would be much easier on me if there was a key I could press to toggle cruise on as well as off.
As for a key to start/stop FARL itself I don't have a need but someone else might and if you're messing with keyboard shortcuts you might as well add it.

thanks again

3 years ago

I've added controls to toggle cruise control and start/stop (Shift + C, Shift + A by default) as well as yet another checkbox in FARLs settings "Maximum cruise speed" which removes the speed limit when FARL is active.

3 years ago

awesome thank you :)

New response