Fully automated rail-layer

Content
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1
Trains

g Warpath and stations FARL extentions and Solutions

6 years ago

Hi!
Love Farl, warts and all. It's often a bit wonky, but I love it, well worth the time to correct my blueprints.
A few quick questions, about where FARL ends and where manual labor starts:

1. When I want to send a FARL locomotive in a direction on autopilot, if it meets a biter nest, it stops at the biter and waits until it dies. What solutions have people found for this?
    a) do you guys use a weaponized locomotive mod in front of the FARL
    b) would there be a way to set farl to back-up to the last station or nearest station if (sustained dammage from alien AND has a rear facing locomotive in the train?)
    Note: Even with biters set to peaceful, it will happen that a) the train stops because it can't go through the nest (place track), or b) FARL "accidentally" hits a biter that runs onto the track and the whole nest attacks.

2. In a similar way, if I FARL wit advanced wall+turret blueprints, I have to calculate the spacing to place turrets in and add multiple electric poles in my blueprint.
    This seems to freak the hell out of FARL. It seems to be very hard (a lot of trial and error) to get blueprints that fit the exact area to fill in a turret line for an electric pole size. Would it be possible when we ask FARL for the default blueprint to create 4 blueprints, where the two other ones would have post delimeters for where the next blueprint would start or this one would end?

3. Intersections, radar sections, etc.
    Would it be possible to provide FARL additional blueprints to insert ever X poles, so that, for example, we can add a 4 way intersection every 20 poles, or add a radar to our print every 8 poles, or a bunker every 2 stations?
    Radars are easy to add after the fact, simply run a train manually and place as you drive slowly through. Intersections are harder as you have to set them just right, need to get out of the train to be within bot range, etc.

... one of the issues with that is having a clear set of 'FARL starts here' markers (electric pole + signals) on each side of the intersection on an intersection blueprint, as to re-engage FARL in each of the directions when required.

4. End of rail one sided.
    Would there be a way to stop Farl from using the last few X pieces (15?) of rail and hook-up a different blueprint for train reversal? I'd like to be able to automatically add either a round-about or a derailer to change the train's direction, as well as a train station ("here lies track-end") so that I can send FARL automatically to station "FARL - Tracks Playground" and back ready to re-engage... (heck, I'd even love it if it could re-engage at (here lies track-end), but that might be a bit too much to ask... I might never see my FARL again...).

5. Stations (In, out, miner, liquid,etc).
    I realize that there are dozens of train loading and unloading stations out there, and that even within somoene's style, it may be upgraded from yellow to blue and may look totally different. Heck, someone may like Zuri's smart loaders/unloaders and have all sorts of weird things.
    But...
    Does anyone see a way (within FARL or other joint mod) that would allow for station and intersection planning...

I think this would best be accomplished by a different mod which would build a blueprint... a bit like mining planner.... where you tell it that you want 6 material unloaders to go into 4 lanes, 2 liquid unloaders and a 12 lane parking, wether you want in rail from N/S/E/W, out rail to N/S/E/W, Material out to go N/S/E/W (that one sounds like it would be hard to do) and it would come up with the blueprint for the sum, based on your rail system (2/4 lanes, left or right-handed).

Or, what do you guys use as a blueprint source for your FARL based train-station (preferably Right-Handed, but willing to convert the blueprints myself)?

Thank you, and hope this doesn't start trolling about LH vs RH.

6 years ago
  1. When I want to send a FARL locomotive in a direction on autopilot, if it meets a biter nest, it stops at the biter and waits until it dies. What solutions have people found for this?
    a) do you guys use a weaponized locomotive mod in front of the FARL
    b) would there be a way to set farl to back-up to the last station or nearest station if (sustained dammage from alien AND has a rear facing locomotive in the train?)
    Note: Even with biters set to peaceful, it will happen that a) the train stops because it can't go through the nest (place track), or b) FARL "accidentally" hits a biter that runs onto the track and the whole nest attacks.

I have plans to improve the Autopilot, dealing with biters is not in these plans.
Improved Autopilot:

• Start from a station somewhere in the base
  • Return to base to resupply (might require an "end of track blueprint")
  • When finished return to the station (might require an "end of track blueprint")
  1. In a similar way, if I FARL wit advanced wall+turret blueprints, I have to calculate the spacing to place turrets in and add multiple electric poles in my blueprint.
    This seems to freak the hell out of FARL. It seems to be very hard (a lot of trial and error) to get blueprints that fit the exact area to fill in a turret line for an electric pole size. Would it be possible when we ask FARL for the default blueprint to create 4 blueprints, where the two other ones would have post delimeters for where the next blueprint would start or this one would end?

FARL places everything except walls/rails/signals whenever it places the pole with the longest wire distance. So for the big electric pole you'd have to place turrets (and medium electric poles) 15 tiles in front and behind the big electric pole.

1. Intersections, radar sections, etc.
    Would it be possible to provide FARL additional blueprints to insert ever X poles, so that, for example, we can add a 4 way intersection every 20 poles, or add a radar to our print every 8 poles, or a bunker every 2 stations?
    Radars are easy to add after the fact, simply run a train manually and place as you drive slowly through. Intersections are harder as you have to set them just right, need to get out of the train to be within bot range, etc.

... one of the issues with that is having a clear set of 'FARL starts here' markers (electric pole + signals) on each side of the intersection on an intersection blueprint, as to re-engage FARL in each of the directions when required.

FARL might get an option to place signals with every pole. This should make it easier to fit in junctions. As for additional blueprints: I might think about it, but at the moment it's not very likely.

1. End of rail one sided.
    Would there be a way to stop Farl from using the last few X pieces (15?) of rail and hook-up a different blueprint for train reversal? I'd like to be able to automatically add either a round-about or a derailer to change the train's direction, as well as a train station ("here lies track-end") so that I can send FARL automatically to station "FARL - Tracks Playground" and back ready to re-engage... (heck, I'd even love it if it could re-engage at (here lies track-end), but that might be a bit too much to ask... I might never see my FARL again...).

See the first point ;)

1. Stations (In, out, miner, liquid,etc).

Some mods/tools i know of:
http://autotorio.com/outpost
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Burny/BurnysTSBC

6 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, appreciated. I had a bit of hope that someone in the community would pipe in, but I feel your hard work and dedication when I see your posts.

Had never heard of Burnys, seems to do exactly what I was looking for on that point.

Thank you.

6 years ago

You might or might not get more responses on the official Forums, most posts on the portal are probably just bug reports.

New response