Enemies loot

Enemies have loot

Utilities
3 years ago

i Balancing

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Hi! I've just had a look at your data.lua and I noticed that the probability you've given to your loot is rather high. I've recently worked on a similar mod that gives loot to spawners, worms, and trees. This mod had a much lower loot probability when I inherited it, and yet it turned out to be too much: When clearing a forest with fire, grenades, nukes, or poison, there were so many items to collect that it quickly became boring. (Of course, unlike most of your loot items, most of the maps are useless if they all reveal more or less the same area.)

Biters and spitters have one thing in common with trees: There are vast masses of them, so you will kill lots of enemies! If the idea of your mod is to hunt enemies to get resources for your factory, it may be OK to get loot from every enemy you've killed. But there are some items where you need only a very limited amount, like armor or personal equipment. The first heavy armor you find may be very useful -- but what do you do with the fifth or tenth if you don't have a recycling mod? Also, enemies can give up to 13 different loot items, so the chance that multiple items per killed enemy will be spawned is quite high.

Based on the experiences I've made with my mod, I'd recommend that you lower the probability significantly at least for the bonus items (items with a probability < 1). Dividing the probability by 100 or 1000 may be a good start, it probably could be even less. Perhaps you should start a new game with Creative Mod and go on a killing spree, just to get a feeling for how much stuff attacking big hordes of enemies may give you.

Another idea: You've only given loot to vanilla enemies. However, there are several mods that add new versions of biters/spitters (e.g. Schall Alien Mutation, Rampant, Explosive Biters or Natural Evolution Enemies) and there's at least one mod (Armoured Biters) that adds entirely new enemies. I think it would be nice if you'd give them some loot as well. (This should be done in data-final-fixes.lua where all prototypes will be defined. Just go over data.raw.unit to get the list!)

Just some thoughts that you may find useful or not. Anyway, good luck with your mod! :-)

3 years ago

Hi thanks for the mod, I have been using it for a few days on a new game and along with the "reverse factory" mod find it quite the challenge to recycle everything. It certainly freshens up the game in a new way.

That said I have to agree with Pi-C comments above as the probability of expensive items is way to high. The amount of modular armor and the like that you get is absurd. When recycles into steel, copper and iron plates it's almost enough on it own to complete supply my as yet small factory. Also roboports are slightly ridiculous as well. Although they make a great source of redcircuits. I've had a few hundred so far (about 5 hours in). I am using Schalls Pick-up towers to automate collection and I am playing on deathworld so I can already see how the amount of loot once my pollution cloud spreads significantly, is going to be over whelming very quickly.

I'd suggest maybe adjusting drop probabilities to be dependent on game mode as well (if possible). Higher for peaceful mode, lower for death world.

Once I get my defenses upgraded a bit I am going to coral off a biter base and farm it for loot, I'll let you know if it's overpowered or not in a few days.

3 years ago

So I promised some feed back.

First up, I like this mod as it add an interesting twist to the management of items in the game. That said on it's own beyond the first few hours of play to get some "advanced goodies" it rapidly be comes a logistical nightmare, particularly if you don't use a recycling and collection mods, and run on a deathworld. In fact without pickup towers and warehouses you would literally drown in dropped items within about 10 hours of play. With auto pick up feature you wouldn't be able to move outside your base without overloading your inventory.

On my current base which I have been playing for about 24 hours, I currently have virtually no mining activity or oil production going. The whole factory is basically being supported by recycled loot items. In fact it has only been in the last few hours that I have even needed to build production for blue, purple and yellow science. Enough science packs get dropped to fairly consistently feed around 20 labs. Without additional production.

At this point I have a red belt going around the perimeter of my base feeding loot items back to the recycling area. By the time it gets there it is constantly at around 50% capacity spiking higher occasionally. This amount will grow as pollution spreads and the biters get more aggressive and drawn in from further afield. Paradoxically recycling gives an abundance of the items you are usually short of, like steel and red circuits. Armors in particular use lots of these items and when you break them down you get lots back and armors of all type are very high drop items. I currently have 1.5 warehouses of steel (about 250k) and another 200k red circuits in storage and about 50k Blue circuits. I have not even built production for red or blue circuits yet and I am getting close to researching the rocket silo. Roboports and Personal Roboports are basically supplying steel, red circuits and batteries for the whole factory as well. Not that you need much with the amount of bots you pickup. (Currently around 2500 logibots and 500 construction bots).

Recommendations. Off the top everything needs to be reduced by about a factor of 10. On top of that Items need to be tiered to appropriate levels.
Basic items, ores, plates, wood. 50% probability of a drop.
Low tech items, yellow belts, power poles, etc, basic ammo, 10%
intermediate items, solar panels, accumulators, assemblers, red belts, miners, engines, gun turrets,rockets, canon shells,grenades etc 5%
Advance items, Yellow Assemblers, Roboports, bots, Artillery, laser turrets 2%
Military items, armor, power armor, grid equipment, 1%

3 years ago

Hello
Thanks for your comment, I'm still new to modding, I hope you have patience with me to correct and implement new mechanics.
Thank you very much in advance for the help

New response