Electric Transformators

by max2344

Add 5 tiers of transformators for better control over the electric supply network. The transfer power for each tier is 1MW, 10MW, 100MW, 1GW, 10GW with efficiency of ~98%

Content
2 years ago
Power

g [done] Potentiemeters?

3 years ago

Could this mod be the basis for a "Potentiemeter"- a signal driven, adjustable, transformator?

3 years ago

Hmm, I'll quote wikipedia on this: Potentiometers are rarely used to directly control significant power (more than a watt), since the power dissipated in the potentiometer would be comparable to the power in the controlled load.

With the Electric Transformators we handle power conversion in the range 1 megawatt … 10 gigawatt and using potentiometers for this sort of task doesn't appear reasonable.

Regards,

-max2344

3 years ago

I understand that IRL you'd never use a transformer in this way. But what I'm trying to achieve is not a realistic transformer, more like a voltage-limiter. So what I'm asking is, "COULD this mod be used to make a signal-driven potentiometer?" rather than "WOULD you implement a signal-driven potentiometer?"

You actually CAN use this mod to make a signal-driven potentiometer/volt-limter but it's a complex. Requires a lot of combinators and switches but it can be done. It's not a very accurate potentiometer but it does indeed work.

3 years ago

I see. I think I understand what you mean, however, that could prove difficult since some parameters need to be specified at the data stage and can't be changed in the control script later. While we use this circumstance to make tiers of transformators with different transfer power, I ATM can't think of a way to make one scalable/adjustable device that would fit all.

Regards,

-max2344

New response