Disco Science

Makes science labs light up with the colours of the science packs they are consuming.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

i Low UPS version

4 years ago

Have you considered a mod option to apply a UPS friendly animation for very late game?

So say just the various colours on the default lab animation. I ask we as like the mod for early and mid game, but late game using 0.8 update time on just flashing lights is very high. So a simpler mode of all colours lights in a random pattern would seem to be an acceptable compromise,

4 years ago

Unfortunately the vast majority of update time is spent just iterating through each lab. You can change the math being done per-lab if you like though and try it out: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/DiscoScience/discussion/5e1900af17cd12000d70692b

4 years ago
(updated 4 years ago)

So in this suggestion there would be no lab iteration. It would fall back to a statically defined light animation sequence. It would be a startup setting just for megabase usage. I could make it as a new mod, but having it as an option in this mod feels so much more natural.

4 years ago

This is the thing, though: Factorio doesn’t support more than one animation for a given kind of lab. Disco Science effectively runs its own animation system, updating the graphics of each lab every (sixth) frame. This would be required even if the animation was dead simple, and synchronized across all labs.

4 years ago

Ah I skimmed your code and saw you running your own animation over the lab entities. Although I hadn't considered the lights I must admit.

New response