3 years ago

What is the consumption?
1 ore for each unit of water/lubricant?
That should be on the information tab.
But i liked the idea.

3 years ago

10 Water per Ore
0.5 Lubricant per Ore

Its a lot of water, but water is free....dont know, dont make much sense to me water helping on speed...
0.5 Lubricant per ore is a lot, should be something like 0.1 per ore, or a configuration.

3 years ago

The electric drill mine at 1 ore/s

The offshore pump give 1200 water/s
With water you need 12.5 /s (with 25% speed bonus) each drill
Each offshore pump theoretically can supply 96 drills

Changing lubricant consumption to 0.1 per ore.
The vanilla chemical plant can craft 10 lubricant/s
With lubricant you need 0.175 /s (with 75% speed bonus) each drill
Each chemical plant theoretically can supply +57 drills

Thanks for the feedback

3 years ago

@TexugoMaldito

Basically, any non-combustible fluid aids when it comes to drilling. It's not necessarily about making the drill faster and harder, it's about keeping the metal tip of the drill cooled down. There's a lot of physical energy built up from the rotations of any drill, which causes them to overheat very quickly, especially if your diving into something like similar metal. Even if you use a regular hand drill you could buy at Wal-Mart, after using it for a few minutes, you can touch the drill bit it comes with and it will be scalding hot.

A large industrial drill would likely be designed in some way to have a built in temperature system, to tell the drill itself to stop when it's about to overheat (the Burner Drill would have something like a thermometer wired to a basic forced shutoff switch). A heated drill bit burns out quickly, dulling itself, therefore becoming costly and time consuming to constantly replace. That's why in-game, you'll see the drills diving into the ground for a bit, then raising up to take a break. Specialized lubricants are the best for absorbing the heat produced by the drills and slicking them up, but water could be used as well, although it's nowhere near as effective, hence the respective 25% and 75% being pretty appropriate.

Also, at the factory I used to work at, my boss used a special mixture that was diluted in water to make this kind of turquoise colored lubricant, so water is pretty important in general. So there's your drill fact for the day.

3 years ago

@Augoeides

Ok, it makes a lot more sense now, thanks for the drill fact for the day. hahaha

New response