ChunkyChunks - Configurable Gridlines

by Qon

Chunk aligned blueprints? Display chunk lines without the annoying tile lines that the debug option adds. Configurable grids at any sizes if your blueprints are substation, chunk, roboport or radar sized (or any other size)!

Utilities
2 years ago
0.17 - 1.1

i [Implemented] Need grids far from player with panned map

4 years ago

grid only show around player

i can see some configurable values but it seems be not related to how much far grids draws from players
(thanks for mod, it is helpful many cases)

4 years ago

I'll qonsider it. There's no way for mods to read how zoomed out you are so the maximum has to be rendered all the time. And more area covered means more lines to create. I might do some optimisations later that will make the performance impact negligible, but it's non-trivial. I do know a solution though so I just need the time.

Currently, all lines are spawned each tick. Which is not really impacting performance that much at all for small areas. But since area grows with distance^2 a very large area would make that very inefficient. So that's why the area covered by lines is only as small as the vanilla max zoom.

4 years ago

Maybe make it configurable?

4 years ago

I guess that's fairly reasonable. I might do that. I'm a bit busy atm but should be a quick and easy fix if I decide to do that.

4 years ago

My mod Show Tile Grid Lite shows grids for entire map and isn't constantly consuming UPS by re-spawning new line entities every tick. You can zoom any where on the map and see the grid markers. Great when blueprinting radars remotely.

3 years ago

ChunkyChunks v1.4.0 is now optimised (no longer respawns grid every tick) and has a world spanning grid! Now that you can build blueprints when zoomed out on map I'm starting to use the map much more, and I'm zooming to world also more. So this feature really made sense to implement now.

Version: 1.4.0
Date: 2020-08-01 13:23
Major Features:
- Global grid! Now you can pan anywhere on the map (when zoomed-to-world) and see your grids!
Optimisations:
- ChunkyChunks only does things when you change your settings now, so CPU time should drop to near 0
except for some seconds after changing your settings.
Changes:
- Toggling grids with shortcut and hotkey are removed. Instead a new setting is used:
Grids are enabled when ALT-mode is enabled, always on or the grid is simply disabled.

New response