Bottleneck

by trold

A tool for locating input starved machines.

Utilities
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1

i Alert Priority Consideration

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

TLDR; Perhaps the "missing an ingredient" alert should always be false if "producing too many items" is true.

https://imgur.com/vETaFLI

Using the default settings (and when using 2000 signals per tick), I notice that a lot of my assemblers show a Red Alert when the machine is missing an ingredient (as expected) and the output is full. Since the game doesn't allow inserters to load more ingredients when they aren't needed, it seems that the "Machine producing too many items" should have priority over "Machine missing an item ingredient." I keep seeing Red Alerts and it worries me, but it turns out the machine is fine and is just waiting to be unloaded.

I prepared a test by making my assemblers overproduce copper cables to be used when crafting electronic circuits. After watching the machine for a minute, the output never reached 0 and the input would occasionally drop to 0 since inserters won't bother reloading. It would often show the Red Alert, even though there really wasn't a problem that required attention. I assumed it was just an issue with the delay in updating the machines' icons, but it seems this isn't the case since the output was never 0.

It isn't mod breaking or terribly wrong, but it can contradict the point of this mod by making me check the machines manually in detail instead of seeing an accurate indicator from Bottleneck.

Thanks for your time!

New response