Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

b [Fixed] poor optimisation on sapling bombs

8 months ago

I'm not entirely sure if there's an easy fix for this but the saplings and sapling bombs have a particularly high impact on performance, with the game completely lagging out and taking ~20 seconds per frame at times if you launch too many seed bombs at once. presumably because every seed missile not only changes the tiles under the saplings but also plants 1,900 modded entities that then transform in to trees not long after.

while they are quite fun to play with , if you want a particularly dense patch of trees or want to quickly terraform an area (rather than the relatively slow terraforming of the terraformer) then you have to suffer the insane FPS/UPS drops.

i'd actually quite like to see a rocket / nuke that is fertiliser only so you can add a bit of greenery to an otherwise nuke scorched wasteland once again!

Pi-C
7 months ago

Made some changes to how trees grow. Before, tree tables would be sorted by tick whenever data for a new tree were added. When the tick stored with the first table element was the same as current tick, the sapling would be converted to a tree, then that entry would be cleared with table.remove(tab, 1) -- which means that all subsequent elements would have to be moved down. We now store an array of one or more sets of tree data, indexed by tick. This saves the expensive sorting and removal operations. I hope the impact will be noticeable.

i'd actually quite like to see a rocket / nuke that is fertiliser only so you can add a bit of greenery to an otherwise nuke scorched wasteland once again!

Good idea! Perhaps we'll get this done some day. :-) I guess it would be nice if we could add some decoratives along with the ground tiles …

Pi-C
6 months ago

Do you notice any improvements with version 1.1.19?

2 months ago

heyo!

apologies for the late response - my factorio obsession comes and goes in waves. just did some very rudimentary tests. launched the game without update - fired 6 seed bombs in quick succession and dropped to 11 FPS/UPS

updated bio-industries, relaunched, fired 40+ bombs in quick succession and maintained a steady 45 UPS throughout.

i'd say the results are pretty staggering and vastly improved.

can mark as fixed - thanks!

Pi-C
2 months ago

Thanks for the testing! That really seems to be an improvement of some magnitude! Glad it's working now. :-)

New response