Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
a month ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

g [Fixed] UPS issues

3 years ago

Hi!

I'm using BioIndustries (but not even super-heavily) and am having UPS issues.
The "Electric network" update takes 10ms.
When I turn off BioIndustries and cheat in power (so things aren't unpowered) the issues are gone.

Is there a way to check whether bio industries is "at fault" and/or what can I do about this?

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I've just done some digging and it seems that the biogardens are at fault. I had about 1K biogardens and the UPS issues went away after I removed them.
It's still strange to me that this would be considered part of the Electric network update. Is this fixable or is it just not feasible to run that many biogardens?

I'd be happy to help debug, I'm relatively technical.

3 years ago

@TheSAguy, I tried looking at the code to figure out if I could find any obvious mistakes but it looks like your github repo is not up to date with the released version of bio industries.

3 years ago

I just realised that I could just go in my mods folder to figure out what the issue is.
It looks like every biogarden contains an unconnected hidden power pole. This means it's a separate electric network that messes with UPS. It's only used when using fluid fertilliser so I just commented it out and now my game runs smoothly!

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

Good morning, and thanks for the report!

I just realised that I could just go in my mods folder to figure out what the issue is.

:-)

It looks like every biogarden contains an unconnected hidden power pole. This means it's a separate electric network that messes with UPS. It's only used when using fluid fertilliser …

Oh, right … I didn't think of the many separate networks! It seemed like a clever idea to always use the same compound entity (i.e. the visible garden + the hidden pole), and to reduce the poles wire reach when the "Easy gardens" setting is turned off. The only change I'd have to do would be changing the wire reach in the data stage, when Factorio is loading anyway. The alternative is checking in on_configuration_changed whether the "Easy gardens" setting has changed, and to build/remove the hidden poles on loading a saved game, if necessary. But this shouldn't be too hard either, so I guess I'll get the bugfix out sometime today -- unless somebody reports yet another bug. :-)

3 years ago

Super!

No hurries, I've got something working :)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Scratch that, I whenever I place a new biogarden I get a crash now. Would appreciate an update :)

The alternative is checking in on_configuration_changed whether the "Easy gardens" setting has changed, and to build/remove the hidden poles on loading a saved game, if necessary.

This seems like the more robust solution by the way.

In any case, it would be great if we could make sure that buildings don't accidentally form singular power networks.

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

In any case, it would be great if we could make sure that buildings don't accidentally form singular power networks.

Sometimes we want that, though (e.g. powered rails should not connect to crossing or parallel rails, so you can keep separate networks). In all other cases I can think of right now, the hidden poles always reach long enough to allow connections from other poles. The bio gardens were special because I didn't want to allow connections between them unless the "Easy gardens" setting was active.

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

Please try 0.18.35/1.1.5!

2 years ago

Jup, fixed! sorry for the late reply

Pi-C ☆
2 years ago

Thanks for confirming this! I just marked the bug as fixed now. :-D

New response