Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
a month ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

b [Fixed?] Incompatibility with Industrial Revolution since new update

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

https://imgur.com/xCEoeEK

It seemed like the mod's update broke its compatibility with Industrial Revolution 2

3 years ago

Supplement with some information that the issue is only caused when Factorio Standard Library is also toggled on in the process

Pi-C
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thanks for the report! Actually, we have two problems here: the immediate crash, and the reason why this would be triggered.

The first problem is easily to fix, Deadlock missed prefixing a function call. So, unpack IR2, open the file code/functions/functions-data.lua, and change line 1533 from

spam_log("Scrap calculator encountered an unexpected cycle in recipe chains, bailing out.", DIR.log_level.error)

to

DIR.spam_log("Scrap calculator encountered an unexpected cycle in recipe chains, bailing out.", DIR.log_level.error)

I've hijacked my own forum thread to notify Deadlock of the problem. Hopefully he will fix this! :-)

The second problem is the cycle in recipe chains itself. It may well be that some change to a BI recipe has caused this, but I couldn't identify the culprit yet. Could you provide a saved game, please? It's essential to see what other mods may be active (we change some recipes if certain other mods are also used) and what settings you have.

3 years ago

Thanks Pi-C. There's a very weird instance that I restarted my computer and I couldn't replicate the error as I should have - I didn't touch anything and it just suddenly started working.

But anyhow I'm attaching the save I played with my girlfriend, that I've had an issue with:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1frCKQld6r3dEBelzSxF0GGWo_KcR5FdP/view?usp=sharing

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Coming back from using the completely same list of MODs and tried to sync the mod in a new PC. And the error would still appear.

Edit: I'm gonna try your method but wondering if this works on the mutiplayer game or do I have to get everyone to modify the mod too

Pi-C
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Thanks for the save file! Deadlock was very cooperative and pointed out what's needed to make BI compatible with IR2, and I succeeded in getting your game to load. There's another bug that I still need to fix, though. But I guess I'll be able to release today -- unless any more bugs are reported in the meantime. :-)

3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Pi-C, thank you very much. Yes, I can occasionally get past the loading as well and got the save to work, and glad to know I can bring you guys to attention coz both of your mods are excellent!

Edit: Updated the function as you specified but it woulud cause the loading not being able to get past IR2....looks like I need to keep trial'n'erroring and patiently wait for your update =)

BTW I do have another minor issue that I'm not sure if it's anything in your MOD

There is this 'Crushed Stone' ingredient required for the 'Bio Farm' that's in your mod. This recipe isn't in any of the mods I've installed but I vaguely remember it being in Bob's mods. At this point I cannot build the Bio farm unless I cheat my way through so wondering if this is something that I've done or so.

Pi-C
3 years ago

Pi-C, thank you very much. Yes, I can occasionally get past the loading as well and got the save to work, and glad to know I can bring you guys to attention coz both of your mods are excellent!

:-)

There is this 'Crushed Stone' ingredient required for the 'Bio Farm' that's in your mod. This recipe isn't in any of the mods I've installed but I vaguely remember it being in Bob's mods. At this point I cannot build the Bio farm unless I cheat my way through so wondering if this is something that I've done or so.

Thanks for the hint! Actually, BI does provide a recipe for crushed stone, which will be available once the stonecrusher has been unlocked by the "Steel" research. But IR rebuilds the entire tech tree, and so these recipes never get unlocked.

I think we can get around this particular issue by replacing "crushed stone" from BI with IR2's "gravel", which can be produced early on with the copper crusher. There certainly will be other things that won't work right. But as I'm not really familiar with IR (never had time to play with it), I'll need help finding them. Also, suggestions for balancing (where to move recipe unlocks etc.) would be highly appreciated! :-)

3 years ago

So is it possible that there's like some sort of a IR2 patch for Bioindustry that changes the recipe to Gravel in place of the crushed stones, or is it more preferable to get Deadlock to change something? (it's a lot harder to get ahold of him since his on IR2 thread is locked)

Pi-C
3 years ago

No way Deadlock will change something! His mod makes drastic changes to the game, and naturally there will be issues with a lot of other mods he doesn't even know about. Making fixes for each of these would require far too much effort, and be a never-ending chore.

3 years ago

I understand, Pi-C. But since I'm in love with using both IR2 and BI, is there a way to make crushed stone a compatible thing in the game? or do you recommend I make a difficult choice =)?

3 years ago

Sorry but there seems to be another thing that has been cropping up as bug

w/ these mods enabled, I get the error (https://imgur.com/undefined):

1) Standard Lib
2) BI (1.1.4)
3) IR2 (2.0.5)

FYI this error would go away if I use BI 1.1.3

3 years ago

Sorry but there seems to be another thing that has been cropping up as bug

w/ these mods enabled, I get the error (https://imgur.com/a/TmYVloV):

1) Standard Lib
2) BI (1.1.4)
3) IR2 (2.0.5)

FYI this error would go away if I use BI 1.1.3

Pi-C
3 years ago

As far as I can see, this should be fixed in 0.18.35/1.1.5. This isn't out yet. I've reworked the init process and currently try to find bugs when old saves with very old versions of BI are loaded. If all goes well, I'll release later today.

3 years ago

Thank you, Pi-C. Looking forward to it!

Pi-C
3 years ago

Please try out the new version! :-)

3 years ago

Pi-C, sorry I cannot check because of this new error (present for both 1.1.5 and 1.1.6)

https://imgur.com/Rpt6u7V

3 years ago

I do not speak English.Use google translate.
Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+RSO 6.22=No error.
Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.16=No error.
Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.16+RSO 6.22=Error.

Why is this happening?

Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.16+RSO 6.22 factorio-current.log

1.928 Error ModManager.cpp:1560: Failed to load mod "IndustrialRevolution":
Guru meditation error: Industrial Revolution has detected a cycle in the technology tree.
Probable cause: a mod has added an incompatible recipe unlock or technology prerequisite to one of the following:
automation-2 (assembling-machine-2, bi-burner-mining-drill-disassemble, bi-burner-inserter-disassemble, bi-long-handed-inserter-disassemble, bi-stone-furnace-disassemble, iron-scrapper)

etc.

Pi-C
3 years ago

Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+RSO 6.22=No error.
Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.16=No error.
Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.16+RSO 6.22=Error.

Why is this happening?

Because IR rebuilds the entire tech tree, so everything is very fragile and easily broken.

1.928 Error ModManager.cpp:1560: Failed to load mod "IndustrialRevolution":
Guru meditation error: Industrial Revolution has detected a cycle in the technology tree.
Probable cause: a mod has added an incompatible recipe unlock or technology prerequisite to one of the following:
automation-2 (assembling-machine-2, bi-burner-mining-drill-disassemble, bi-burner-inserter-disassemble, bi-long-handed-inserter-disassemble, bi-stone-furnace-disassemble, iron-scrapper)

IR regards iron as advanced tech, it's unlocked with the Iron Age. But in vanilla, iron is available right from the start, so the disassemble recipes are also available right from the start. Now, as IR has changed the tech tree, this will lead to a dependency cycle, and instead of trying forever to build the tree, IR will error out.

The easy solution is to disable our disassemble recipes if IR is active (it has its own scrapping recipes anyway). You can do that yourself until the next release is out. Just unpack the mod, edit prototypes/Bio_Tweaks/recipe.lua, and change line 7 from

if BI.Settings.BI_Game_Tweaks_Disassemble then

to

if BI.Settings.BI_Game_Tweaks_Disassemble and not mods["IndustrialRevolution"] then
3 years ago

Thank you. I was able to confirm the operation.

use: "/c game.player.force.research_all_technologies()"
but I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".

Pi-C
3 years ago

but I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".

Check the startup settings! Musk floor will only be available if "Enable solar additions" (something like that, not at home right now -- it enables Solar farm, Solar boiler, and Musk floor) is active. If the recipe is available, it should be in the "Production" tab of the crafting menu (with the assemblers, boilers, steam engines etc.).

Pi-C
3 years ago

Please try 1.1.7 -- this should fix the new bugs from the last version!

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.17+RSO 6.22
Doesn't work.Leser assembler recipe.
"Enable solar additions" ="Huge accumulator(bi-bio-accumulator)"
I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)"

https://imgur.com/a/op6m7mD

Pi-C
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Factorio1.1.19+IR2.1.0+Bio 1.17+RSO 6.22
Doesn't work.Leser assembler recipe.

Strange, can't reproduce that. Could you provide a saved game? Also: "Lesser assembler" or "Laser assembler" (IR has those)?

"Enable solar additions" ="Huge accumulator(bi-bio-accumulator)"
I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)"

Oh, right! I forgot about IR -- that changes everything! Somehow, IR removes the recipe, I'll look into that!

3 years ago

Pi-C, thank you for your unfailing effort! I can now confirm that Bio 1.17 + IR2 works esp on the following reported problems:

With IR 2 (v. 2.10) & BIO 1.17:

1) Bio Garden utilised Gravel and can be produced, finally; and
2) No crash on game initiation (Game version 1.1.19)

Thank you very much!

Pi-C
3 years ago

Pi-C, thank you for your unfailing effort! I can now confirm that Bio 1.17 + IR2 works esp on the following reported problems:

At last -- something that works! :-)

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.19+Bio 1.17
32 tiles on the normal play screen * Spread "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" over 32 tiles or more
"Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" is not displayed when holding "inserter" in hand (displayed in black).
If you let go of "inserter", it will return to the original blue display.

https://imgur.com/a/NiDWqxg

Pi-C
3 years ago

Oh, I guess the icons of the hidden entities did have a purpose after all! :-)

Pi-C
3 years ago

Factorio1.1.19+Bio 1.17
32 tiles on the normal play screen * Spread "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" over 32 tiles or more
"Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" is not displayed when holding "inserter" in hand (displayed in black).

Fixed in 1.1.8.

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.21+Bio 1.19+IR2.1.0
Use the console command "/c game.player.force.research_all_technologies ()"
I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".

Use the console command ”/c game.player.force.technologies['solar-energy'].researched = true”
I could yes find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".
In the game "ir2-solar-energy-1" notation, "Musk floor (bi-solar mat)" is not displayed as manufacturable.

IndustrialRevolution_2.1.0\code\technology\technology-vanilla.lua
line64: DIR.disable_technology("solar-energy") --> ir2-solar-energy-1
Maybe need a mod here.

Pi-C
3 years ago

@BIRD_448

I could not find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".

Thanks, I could reproduce that now, and your interpretation is correct. IR2 disables solar-energy, so our recipes for Musk floor, the huge solar panel, and the solar boiler won't be unlocked. I will unlock the solar boiler with ir2-solar-energy-1, and Musk floor + the huge panel with ir-solar-energy-2, because they are more advanced. Would that be OK?

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.21 + Bio 1.19 + IR 2.1.0
IndustrialRevolution_2.1.0 \ code \ technology
Line 44:
DIR.add_new_minimal_tech ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "solar-array", false, {"solar-array"}, {})
Rewrite
DIR.add_new_minimal_tech ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "solar-array", false, {"solar-array", "bi-solar-mat"}, {})
I could yes find "Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)".
I am satisfied with personal use.

I think it is wise to rewrite "IR2" around "bob-solar" on line 245 of "Bio_Industries_1.1.9 \ data-updates.lua".
But I wasn't familiar with "lua", and it didn't work.

Pi-C
3 years ago

May be OK for personal use, but you must change that again when IR2 is updated. To fix this in BI, insert this

thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-1", "bi-solar-boiler-hidden-panel")
  thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "bi-bio-solar-farm")
  thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "bi-solar-mat")

in prototypes/Industrial_Revolution.lua, after the line

if mods["IndustrialRevolution"] then
3 years ago

As I was told, I rewrote "Industrial_Revolution.lua" but it didn't work.

In "factorio-current.log", for example, "5.812 Loading mod Bio_Industries 1.1.9 (data-final-fixes.lua)" is written.
(Are you reading "data-final-fixes.lua" as a setting?)
However, "Loading mod Bio_Industries 1.1.9 (Industrial_Revolution.lua)" also
"Loading mod IndustrialRevolution 2.1.0 (Industrial_Revolution.lua)" is also not found.
(I'm not sure if it's normal not to be found)

Rewrite IR2 directly. Thank you for your reaction.

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.21 + Bio 1.19 (Updated Industrial_Revolution.lua above) + IR 2.1.1

If you cut down a rubber tree on the MAP, you should get a "Rubber wood" but it will change to a normal "wood".
If you remove Bio 1.1.9, that won't happen.
If you activate the start item and start the game, you can get "Rubber wood" and increase it, but otherwise you will not be able to clear the game.

Pi-C
3 years ago

If you cut down a rubber tree on the MAP, you should get a "Rubber wood" but it will change to a normal "wood".

Thanks for the hint -- I didn't know about the rubber wood. What is it used for? Is rubber wood required for anything, or do recipes use rubber and you have to process rubber wood to make rubber? We've already thought of adding a rubber recipe (so one can make wood-->resin-->rubber). Would that help?

3 years ago

Sorry.
If I turn off the "Game tweaks: Tree yield" option, I can get "Rubber wood".
I think the "Game tweaks: Tree yield" option is changing the "rubber wood" to "wood".

Rubber is the material for "oil-refinery("copper-cable-heavy")".

Pi-C
3 years ago

Correct, if "Game tweaks: Tree yield" is active, we change the mining results of all trees. So I could make an exception for IR's rubber trees there. A way to make rubber in BI may be an option nevertheless.

3 years ago

I'm not worried about rubber not growing in BI because the IR2 "iron-forestry=Electric forestry"&"bronze-forestry=Bronze forestry" grows "wood and rubber wood" without water, albeit inefficiently.

Pi-C
3 years ago

There are 2 ways I could fix the rubber-wood problem:

• Add the rubber trees to the list of trees that won't be touched by BI. This is the easiest way, but it will mean that we also won't create prototypes for the different growing stages of rubber trees, so rubber trees won't grow if you plant trees with seeds, seed bombs, or the terraformer.
  • Allow that rubber trees can be planted, but don't change the mining result (so they still will yield rubber-wood instead of normal wood).

Which way do you prefer?

3 years ago

In the future, there may be a third "tree" for mods other than IR2.
(For example, a tree that produces iron ore when cut down).

Personally, I think BI should focus on the "vanilla tree".
However, please do not change "Other trees" to "Vanilla trees" even if "Game tweaks: tree yield" is enabled.
"Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" is also needed for the game.

3 years ago

My favorite is "Add the rubber trees to the list of trees that won't be touched by BI."

Pi-C
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

Personally, I think BI should focus on the "vanilla tree".
However, please do not change "Other trees" to "Vanilla trees" even if "Game tweaks: tree yield" is enabled.

This wouldn't work if Alien Biomes is active because it replaces the vanilla trees with its own. In this case, you wouldn't be able to plant anything if I would allow only vanilla trees.

In the future, there may be a third "tree" for mods other than IR2.
(For example, a tree that produces iron ore when cut down).

That's taken care of in the next version.

Now:

• If tree.minable.result is "wood" and tree.minable.count is 4, assume that tree is a vanilla tree and add tree.minable.results with 1…6 wood.
  • If tree.minable.result and tree.minable.count exist but these differ from vanilla, convert tree.minable.result to tree.minable.results.
  • If tree.minable.result does not exist but tree.minable.results does, and if any result in tree.minable.results is vanilla (4 wood), change that result to 1…6 wood, but don't touch the other results.

That didn't work with the rubber trees because they have tree.minable.result and tree.minable.count set to "4 wood", and tree.minable.results set to "4 rubber-wood". That's usually sufficient because tree.minable.result is ignored if tree.minable.results exists, but it breaks my assumption that only one of tree.minable.result and tree.minable.results will exist. As tree.minable.result has the vanilla value, tree.minable.results is replaced and the trees will yield only a variable amount of wood.

Next version:

• Changed the first test: If tree.minable.result is "wood" and tree.minable.count is 4, and if tree.minable.results doesn't exist, add tree.minable.results with 1…6 wood. (Rubber trees have tree.minable.results, so they won't pass this test. The only result in tree.minable.results differs from vanilla, so this will not be changed.)

This works with the rubber trees, and it should work with all trees from other mods as well.

"Musk floor (bi-solar-mat)" is also needed for the game.

I've already fixed that for the next version. However, the mod portal has a bug, so we can't upload the next version! (I'm just a collaborator. TheSAguy is the mod owner, and he still could upload, but he will be away from Factorio for some indefinite time, so we're stuck with 1.1.9.) The only way is to fix it yourself for now.

• Add IR2 trees to list of trees that won't be touched in common.lua (lines 107ff.):

common.ignore_name_patterns = {
    -- Ignore our own trees
    "bio%-tree%-.+%-%d",
    -- Tree prototypes created by "Robot Tree Farm" or "Tral's Robot Tree Farm"
    "rtf%-.+%-%d+",
    -- Tree prototypes created by "Industrial Revolution 2"
    ".*%-*ir2%-.+",
    }

• Make Musk floor etc. available again by inserting the following in prototypes/Industrial_Revolution.lua (after line 21):

-- IR2 disables the "solar-energy" technology, so our Solar boiler, Solar farm, and
    -- Musk floor will never be unlocked. Move the unlocks to IR2's technologies!
    thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-1", "bi-solar-boiler-hidden-panel")
    thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "bi-bio-solar-farm")
    thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock ("ir2-solar-energy-2", "bi-solar-mat")

Just unpack the mod and edit the files with a text editor of your choice. I hope the mod-portal bug will be fixed soon so that I can upload the fixed version, but this needs to be done by the devs.

3 years ago

As I was told, I rewrote "Industrial_Revolution.lua" but it didn't work.
Even in that state, "Musk floor (bi-solar mat)" cannot be found unless "solar-energy" is enabled using the console command.

Rewrite IR2 "technology-native.lua" directly. Thank you for your reaction.

Pi-C
3 years ago

I suppose you already researched IR's tech for solar energy. What happens if you toggle the mod setting "Compatibility: Add support for gvv" and load the game again? A changed setting will trigger on_configuration_changed, and that should reset technology effects so that Musk floor etc. become available. Does that work?

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.21 + Bio 1.19
Since "Compatibility: Add support for GVV" itself is not displayed in the MOD settings, ON / OFF operation is not possible.

We have confirmed that this happens with vanilla + BI alone, regardless of IR2.
I removed BI and reinstalled it, but "Compatibility: Add support for GVV" itself is still not displayed.

Pi-C
3 years ago

Sorry, my mistake. That setting is only available if gvv is active. I just mentioned that because it wouldn't affect your game. Toggling any other setting should have the same effect. Perhaps you could try it with "Game tweaks: Player" or "Game tweaks: Bots"?

(Toggling a setting and updating the mod to a new version number will both trigger on_configuration_changed. So loading the game with the edited files, and then changing a setting simulates a new mod version. I just want to see if this will really work before uploading.)

3 years ago

In my case, I couldn't successfully recheck whether the player reach had changed, so I used
"BI_Game_Tweaks_Production_Science" and
"Game tweaks: Tree yield" were switched.
The changes are solid.(mapcode reload)

However, the "Musk floor (bi-solar mat)" is still not valid.
(Of course, I rewrote Industrial_Revolution.lua+common.lua)

Pi-C
3 years ago

Please try 1.1.10! If that still doesn't work, could you provide the saved game, please?

3 years ago

Factorio1.1.19 + IR2.1.2 + Bio 1.1.10 + RSO 6.2.2
Eureka!
I'm sorry.
It seems that "RSO", which I thought was unrelated until now, was blocking the link from "IR2" to "Musk floor (bi-solar mat)".

If you choose to uninstall "RSO" or rewrite "technology-native.lua", I decided to rewrite "technology-native.lua".
Thank you for your reaction.

3 years ago

I don't know if I'm right here, but when it comes to compatibility, I think so ...

Since BI is a large mod that produces wood, the idea of ​​using BI to make rubber-wood is great!
Many mods bring compatibility for other mods.
So I hope you can manage that and incorporate that ...
I find the IR2 variant too easy to produce wood ...
Wood made of air and love? Um ...
This is one of the main reasons why I use BI.
But I use BI in all of my mod packages.

Now on a second topic ...
In terms of the recipe, the wooden rail absolutely does not match IR2.
I would have to finish researching "Carbon steel milestone" first because the wooden rails require steel plates. The normal vanilla rails are available earlier and only need iron.
Shouldn't that be the other way around? : /
Wooden rails are the perfect early-game rails!
Can you adapt the recipe for IR2?

What I also just noticed:
Is it correct that the powered rail and the rail to power connector are not craftable?

I thank you!

Pi-C
3 years ago
(updated 3 years ago)

I don't know if I'm right here, but when it comes to compatibility, I think so ...

Since BI is a large mod that produces wood, the idea of ​​using BI to make rubber-wood is great!
Many mods bring compatibility for other mods.
So I hope you can manage that and incorporate that ...

Well, BIRD_448 seems to think we shouldn't touch the rubber trees at all. So we should make that an optional setting that's only available if IR2 is active. To keep things simple, rubber trees would grow from the same seeds/seedlings as normal trees, so we wouldn't need new recipes. Thus, if you plant trees manually, with a seedbomb, or with a terraformer, there would be a chance that it will grow into a rubber tree, but it could grow into any other tree as well. (This actually makes sense if you consider that the vanilla trees as well as those from "Alien Biomes" are entirely different trees although they grow from the same seeds/seedlings.)

Now on a second topic ...
In terms of the recipe, the wooden rail absolutely does not match IR2.
I would have to finish researching "Carbon steel milestone" first because the wooden rails require steel plates. The normal vanilla rails are available earlier and only need iron.
Shouldn't that be the other way around? : /
Wooden rails are the perfect early-game rails!
Can you adapt the recipe for IR2?

Not yet, that would mean too much additional work. So far, things like rails or power poles are unlocked by vanilla researches, and most of these are disabled by IR2. I've made a change for the power poles, but we're working on a complete overhaul of BI, where most things will get their own techs, so these changes would likely be obsolete in the new version. Also, the code of the new version already differs enough from the old code that it's hard to keep them in sync. However, I'll add switching the recipes of normal and wooden rails to my TODO list for the new release.

What I also just noticed:
Is it correct that the powered rail and the rail to power connector are not craftable?

It is correct, but it's not intended. Powered rails are usually unlocked by the "Rail signals" tech, but IR2 has removed that tech and moved the unlock for rail and chain signals to "Automated rail transportation". For now, please add these lines to prototypes/Industrial_Revolution.lua (immediately before the final "end"):

thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock("automated-rail-transportation", "bi-rail-power")
thxbob.lib.tech.add_recipe_unlock("automated-rail-transportation", "bi-power-to-rail-pole")

I thank you!

Your welcome! If you find any other things that don't work with IR2, I'd be glad if you'd inform me about these as well. There's just too much that IR2 could change, and as I'm not actively playing, it's likely that I don't find such bugs on my own.

2 years ago

Hi

Sorry for not answering until now. I was sick for a long time ...

That sounds exciting ... Almost like "Bio Industries 2"!
It will be interesting to see what you have planned.

Basically you are right. The seed bomb should randomly spawn all the trees that grow in the world.
Unfortunately, this is impractical for the automatic production of rubber wood. : /
I am currently using the IR2 tree farm for the production of rubber. But I don't like the principle ...
In my other mod packages (without IR2), only BI is an option for me. Before BI, I always looked for a wood farm. I didn't like the "simple" principle like Bob's "Greenhouse" Mod. But after discovering this mod ...
For the production of "normal" wood I ONLY use the BI-Farm. Is a must-mod for me.
Not only when it comes to wood production, of course.
I like all of the content. Power poles, accumulators, solar panels, rails, etc.
Well ... The rails are of course a bit annoying that they cannot be used with IR2. (Why should I build wooden rails when the normal ones are cheaper? Hmm ...)
But I'm looking forward to the new BI version!

As you said, I built the code into "Industrial_Revolution.lua". It works!
Many Thanks!

I didn't notice any other restrictions in IR2 ...
But I'll be happy to report them if I find any problems.
I'm not that far advanced technologically.
Don't even have oil. I'm building that today. :D
Anyone who plays IR2 knows that everything takes a little longer. ;)

Pi-C
2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Sorry for not answering until now. I was sick for a long time ...
Oh, I hope you're up and well again?

That sounds exciting ... Almost like "Bio Industries 2"!
It will be interesting to see what you have planned.

Things have been going slow lately. But our graphic artist is back now, so it seems like we're making some progress again. May still be a while until we can release, though. (Things popping up on my end now …)

Basically you are right. The seed bomb should randomly spawn all the trees that grow in the world.
Unfortunately, this is impractical for the automatic production of rubber wood. : /
I am currently using the IR2 tree farm for the production of rubber. But I don't like the principle ...

Wait, are there special seeds for rubber trees? Then it may be possible to duplicate the wood-production recipes and let the Biofarms produce rubber trees as well. On the other hand -- is it really necessary to automate rubber trees? BI will have an option for producing rubber from resin in the future, and as you can get resin from any tree, every tree would be a rubber tree … kind of. :-D
(EDIT: Sorry, just checked, this doesn't work. The game will crash if BI creates rubber while IR2 is active, so the setting is only available without IR2.)

In my other mod packages (without IR2), only BI is an option for me. Before BI, I always looked for a wood farm. I didn't like the "simple" principle like Bob's "Greenhouse" Mod. But after discovering this mod ...

For the production of "normal" wood I ONLY use the BI-Farm. Is a must-mod for me.
Not only when it comes to wood production, of course.
I like all of the content. Power poles, accumulators, solar panels, rails, etc.

Nice to read that. :-)

Well ... The rails are of course a bit annoying that they cannot be used with IR2. (Why should I build wooden rails when the normal ones are cheaper? Hmm ...)

You're right, that's bad. But it's not limited to IR2, even without it it doesn't make sense that wooden rails should require steel. So I've made a general change just now: wooden rails won't take steel in the next version, but some more iron sticks and wood. Steel plates will be added to the upgrade recipe, however.

But I'm looking forward to the new BI version!

As you said, I built the code into "Industrial_Revolution.lua". It works!
Many Thanks!

You're welcome!

I didn't notice any other restrictions in IR2 ...
But I'll be happy to report them if I find any problems.
I'm not that far advanced technologically.
Don't even have oil. I'm building that today. :D

Thanks, and good luck!

Anyone who plays IR2 …

Oh, that wouldn't be me. Never played with it yet (actually didn't play at all for far too long), I've only checked out the things that have been reported here …

2 years ago

Unfortunately, I have to report an incompatibility problem after the last IR2 update ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RkoWqv6kkTrR_fm4Z-B71NDAwJAEun7s/view?usp=sharing

Now for the last post:
Yes, I am feeling much better again! Thanks for asking ...

I am pleased to read that the development of BI 2 continues! :)
I'm curious how the new graphics look ...

I don't know if there are special seeds for rubber trees ...
But the idea of ​​making rubber out of resin is awesome!
In that case there is no need for automatic rubber tree production. As far as I know, resin can be obtained from almost all trees. And rubber can be made from resin. (In the real world)

You're right. Wooden rails with steel plates make little sense ...
As far as I know, the rails of the time (in real life) were made with iron girders(?)(beams?). And with wooden sleepers.
How are you going to make the recipe for the "normal" tracks? With steel plates or steel beams?

What are you currently playing yourself?

Hope you get the above bug fixed quickly. I haven't been able to play my world since then. :/

Pi-C
2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Unfortunately, I have to report an incompatibility problem after the last IR2 update ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RkoWqv6kkTrR_fm4Z-B71NDAwJAEun7s/view?usp=sharing

Yes, I already noticed that. Deadlock removed the powdering categories. Quick fix: In prototypes/Industrial_Revolution.lua, at the end of the file, change

if crusher then
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "grinding-1")
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "grinding-2")
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "powdering-1")
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "powdering-2")
  end

to

if crusher then
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "grinding")
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "grinding-1")
    table.insert(crusher.crafting_categories, "grinding-2")
  end

Yes, but I had to edit my last post: The rubber module of BI will only be available without IR2. It's not compatible, IR2 complains about a circular dependency in the tech tree. Guess we have to add rubber-tree growing recipes for the Bio farms to work around that.

As far as I know, the rails of the time (in real life) were made with iron girders(?)(beams?). And with wooden sleepers.
How are you going to make the recipe for the "normal" tracks? With steel plates or steel beams?

The original recipe contains steel plates. I think IR2 will convert these to steel beams.

I've been working on GCKI for a while. Somebody provided a saved game with a space ship, so I've actually caught a glimpse of Space Exploration. Otherwise, not much: things like this and that mainly, occasionally also this. :-D

Hope you get the above bug fixed quickly. I haven't been able to play my world since then. :/

With the small patch above, you should be able to resume your game. Please tell me if it doesn't work as expected!

Now for the last post:
Yes, I am feeling much better again! Thanks for asking ...

I am pleased to read that the development of BI 2 continues! :)
I'm curious how the new graphics look ...

In that case there is no need for automatic rubber tree production. As far as I know, resin can be obtained from almost all trees. And rubber can be made from resin. (In the real world)

2 years ago

Excellent! That was fast ...
It works fine! Many Thanks!
What a small change in a few command lines can do ...
I create a locale mod for different Factorio Mods (also BI). But I don't understand anything about modding itself. :/

Oh, then I must have misunderstood that. :/
If seeds for rubber trees are easier to implement, this would be a good solution!
Still strange that a function that would be perfect for IR2 is incompatible with it ...

You could be right. IR2 converts many recipes from steel plates to steel beams.
Although the vanilla steel plates are also steel beams, as I remember ... There are no steel plates in Vanilla. But in IR2.
(Unless the developers introduced changes that I haven't discovered yet, since I'm just playing modded Factorio ...)

Ah, you mean your "Gizmos Car Keys improved" mod, right?
Space Exploration is a cool mod ... But I've never got this far building a spaceship. :D
And in my current mod package with IR2, I don't have Space Exploration in it.
But in my other mod package with Krastorio 2.
If I compare both mod packages with each other ...
With Krastorio 2 you need more wood. My large BI farm is also worthwhile.
With IR2, virtually no wood is needed. Except for the production of charcoal or wood chips. Which in turn is converted into charcoal.
But since I'll be building electric trains later, I won't need any more fuel. Hmm ...

Ah understand. The good old cards, puzzles and board games. :D
I never played or knew backgammon back then. Neither does skat. At that time I actually only knew one board game that means "Mensch ärgere dich nicht" in German. I don't know what it is called in English.
But also a few simple card games.
Or I did different puzzles. Once up to 1000 parts.

Pi-C
2 years ago

Excellent! That was fast ...
It works fine! Many Thanks!

You're welcome!

I create a locale mod for different Factorio Mods (also BI).

What language, if I may ask? By the way, it may be a good idea NOT to localize BI just yet. We're still working on overhauling the localization, there are many new strings (for the added settings), others have changed significantly, and yet others have been removed. Working on translations at this stage would be just a waste of time.

But I don't understand anything about modding itself. :/

It's extremely useful if you've ever written script or short program in any language -- the way of thinking that's required, the actual implementation is secondary. The hardest part is learning what possibilities the game offers. But if you have a mod, you also have the source code, so checking out how other mods do things is a good way if you want to take up modding. There's even a modding tutorial to get you started, plus a more advanced tutorial that's actually a mod with lots of comments …

Oh, then I must have misunderstood that. :/
If seeds for rubber trees are easier to implement, this would be a good solution!
Still strange that a function that would be perfect for IR2 is incompatible with it ...

I thought it would work, but it didn't. IR rebuilds the entire tech tree, and BI rearranges some things as well. For example, you need crushed stone to build the biofarm, and you get it from the stone crusher. But to build the stone crusher, you need steel, which is a quite advanced tech in IR2. Also, the new BI will be very modular and you can't take for granted that everything will be there at all settings. So it's easier not to activate a small number of options in some situations than to completely rebalance everything just for IR2. Not nice, I agree, but better than making the complete mod incompatible.

You could be right. IR2 converts many recipes from steel plates to steel beams.
Although the vanilla steel plates are also steel beams, as I remember ... There are no steel plates in Vanilla. But in IR2.
(Unless the developers introduced changes that I haven't discovered yet, since I'm just playing modded Factorio ...)

It looks like a steel beam, but it's actually called Steel plate in Vanilla.

Ah, you mean your "Gizmos Car Keys improved" mod, right?

Right. I usually refer to my mods with longer names by an abbreviation, just a habit coming from too much modding. :-D

Space Exploration is a cool mod ... But I've never got this far building a spaceship. :D

Some day I'll play again, and perhaps even build the regular rocket. But SE looks complicated …

And in my current mod package with IR2, I don't have Space Exploration in it.
But in my other mod package with Krastorio 2.
If I compare both mod packages with each other ...

With Krastorio 2 you need more wood. My large BI farm is also worthwhile.

Yes, we've made provisions for it. If Krastorio is active, we'll produce (but also consume) more wood/wood pulp now.

With IR2, virtually no wood is needed. Except for the production of charcoal or wood chips. Which in turn is converted into charcoal.
But since I'll be building electric trains later, I won't need any more fuel. Hmm ...

You should use more cars! There are plenty of mods available (different car/tank models, also planes or ships), so they don't even have to look the same.

Ah understand. The good old cards, puzzles and board games. :D
I never played or knew backgammon back then. Neither does skat. At that time I actually only knew one board game that means "Mensch ärgere dich nicht" in German. I don't know what it is called in English.

"Ludo" -- at least that's what LEO says …

But also a few simple card games.
Or I did different puzzles. Once up to 1000 parts.

:-)

2 years ago

I am currently not creating any "official" Locale Mods. ;)
They are more private to me. It's basically a single mod that includes a locale file created by me from many mods.
You will have noticed by now that my English is not very good. Well, I use google translate because I have problems with English.
And yet, when I create Locale Mods, I make sure that the translation is correct as much as possible. Even if the Google Translate spits out nonsense. ;)
When you have finished the new BI-Mod, I will definitely create a German locale for it as well. :D

Thank you for the help pages on how to modded.
The only problem is, it's all in English. And as I mentioned at the beginning, I have problems with it. :/
I also lack any basic knowledge of programming. Seeing the command lines in the mods make me dizzy, if I'm honest. I only manage to change individual lines according to your instructions.
Write own commands? Unthinkable.
My current private life doesn't allow it either. I have too much responsibility to have time for it.

Can this be built in with a chain of command "IF industrial evolution is active, THEN organize research this way and that"?
The only thing I know about programming is that many commands work with IF, THEN.
Above you also sent me command lines that integrate the Railpower and Railpower Pole. And today how to fix the powder problem.
But when you say rubber processing is more difficult because otherwise the game crashes because of the rearrangement by IR2, Deadlock seems to be writing an extremely complex and complicated mod.

So the new BI Mod will be modular? I am already excited and curious! ;) You can tell me more about it in a moment. :)

Hmm But the modders did a better job there. The steel beam should ideally also be called steel beam! After all, the iron plates are also called iron plates. And they look like "plates" too.

I already thought so. I first entered the abbreviation of your mod on Google. And that's when I came across your gizmo mod. :D

At the moment I am captivated by IR2. I don't know when I'll play Krastorio 2 with SE again next time. And I don't know if I'll be able to get so far this time that I can build a spaceship. IR 2 distracted me from Krastorio 2 because I loved IR 1 back then ...

Cars? I have an AAI mod in there. But I don't use the vehicles. I love trains! But also electrics. So I combine both.
Do you know the TnfP-Mod? In all my games I have my own personal train ...

Back to the wood:
It would be ingenious and practical if BI could bring with it a greater dependency. Okay, you said the mod does with Krastorio 2.
But I meant a dependency, similar to a second recipe for circuit boards like the AAI Industry Mod brings with it.
Then you would have a choice of recipes for automation.
I think simple circuit boards made of wood are great, and it would fit!

Ludo? I also found it. But ... It was said that this was what the game would have been called earlier. And according to the pictures, the game looks different. So I wasn't sure about that.
But if it's really called Ludo. I've learned something about it. :)

Pi-C
2 years ago

Added recipes for making rubber-wood and wood-chips in the Bio farms. To keep things simple, I didn't add special seeds/saplings for rubber-trees. Instead, the recipe will take the usual ingredients (saplings, water, ash/fertilizer) + a special something. Also, the new recipes require as much time as the old ones, but will yield a bit less. But at least there is a way now to produce rubber-wood. :-)

2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

i love the compatibility with IR2, but there are a few things that get a little odd, for example
-the bio reactor by default uses a steam assembly machine (an iron or steel machine hull might be better)
-the terraformer recipe doesn't fit well with the way IR2 usually works. the terrarormer is probably best with a steel or a stainless steel machine hull.
-the bio boiler and cokery would fit in better if it used a steel or iron hull and heat-proof steel plates or concrete and an advanced computer for the boiler
-wood chips from IR2 and wood pulp from BI are about the same thing, could it be possible to disable wood pulp and replace it in all its recipes like what you did with crushed stone?
-charcoal from both mods have very similar recipes. if both recipes used the same charcoal that would allow more integration.
-this mod disrupts IR2 railway recipes.

Pi-C
2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

In what way?

Changing the other recipes should be possible.

2 years ago

In what way?

in IR2 a rail costs 2 iron ingots, some gravel, and a wooden beam. this mod adds concrete to the recipe, which is a little unusual but not too bad, but wooden rails now cost steel, which is unlocked at the steel milestone and only tends to become widely available around purple science, the addition of wood and an iron rod makes the wooden rail be in a way more expensive than normal rails, because iron components and steel components are not often used in the same place.

Pi-C
2 years ago

OK, I think I've handled that already: In the new version, enabling the rail additions will make the vanilla rails more expensive, with steel and concrete added to the recipe. Wooden rails will require just stone, iron sticks, and wood -- no steel. Also, wooden rails will be an extra technology that will unlock the normal rail tech. That should take care of the problems with IR2, as far as I can see.

Pi-C
2 years ago
(updated 2 years ago)

Searching for "hull" didn't turn up anything. Do you mean "frame" instead?

-the bio reactor by default uses a steam assembly machine (an iron or steel machine hull might be better)

I didn't realize that IR2 would replace Vanilla's assembling machine 1 with a steam assembly. You're right, this doesn't make any sense -- using an Electric assembler is much better because the Bio reactor runs on electricity. Should I replace the steel plates with iron plates, or is there something else which would be more fitting?

-the terraformer recipe doesn't fit well with the way IR2 usually works. the terrarormer is probably best with a steel or a stainless steel machine hull.

That would make it available too late. In the new version, there'll be 3 tiers of the terraforming tech (all using the same building). The first tier will be available once you've unlocked the Bio nurseries, allowing you to automate just plain planting, while the other tiers add the recipes using common/advanced fertilizer. Requiring electric assemblers, nurseries, and stone bricks seems to be appropriate.

-the bio boiler and cokery would fit in better if it used a steel or iron hull and heat-proof steel plates or concrete and an advanced computer for the boiler

The cokery must be available early on because you'll need it to get ash as the first-tier fertilizer. Requiring an electric furnace instead of things requiring steel seems appropriate. In my WIP version, the steel beams have already been exchanged for iron beams.

2 years ago

the frame is what i meant. sorry for the confusion. also one more thing, dart turrets need iron to make, which is only unlocked at the iron milestone, so it might be better in IR2 if it needed a copper gear (to be earlier-tech than the scattergun turret) or a bronze gear (to be between the autogun and scattergun in tech and be the only turret at bronze tech)

Pi-C
2 years ago

also one more thing, dart turrets need iron to make, which is only unlocked at the iron milestone, so it might be better in IR2 if it needed a copper gear (to be earlier-tech than the scattergun turret) or a bronze gear (to be between the autogun and scattergun in tech and be the only turret at bronze tech)

Thanks for the hint! Bronze gears it will be then, I can't leave you without automatic defense … :-)

2 years ago

sorry to bother you again, but in IR2, stone bricks only cost one stone, which makes it more expensive then the ash recipe.

Pi-C
2 years ago

in IR2, stone bricks only cost one stone, which makes it more expensive then the ash recipe.

The BI recipe requires gravel, not raw stone. IR2 will make an average of 1.5 gravel per stone, BI's basic recipe makes 2 gravel per stone. Our stone-brick recipe requires 3 gravel, which is the equivalent of 2 stone (made with IR2) or 1.5 stone (made with BI).

Anyway, there's something else to our recipe: It may be more expensive then making bricks directly from stone (the IR2 way), but it also gives you a sink to get rid of ash (so you can turn excess wood chips into stone bricks). Also, it's an advanced tech (BI makes stone bricks in a chemical plant), so I guess that would justify reducing the crafting time.

2 years ago

Hi.

Unfortunately I found another problem in connection with IR2 ...
Even though I've unlocked BI research for fuel conversion, I can't select it in the oil refinery.
The oil refinery only offers the IR2's own recipe.
I would very much like to produce light oil, heavy oil, and petroleum gas with BI.

Can you fix this?

Pi-C
2 years ago

I'll have a look, it's well possible that we already did that for the long-awaited update that hasn't been released yet. :-)

2 years ago

Ahhh, that sounds good. And can you reveal when the long-awaited update can be expected? :)

I'm looking forward to it!

Pi-C
2 years ago

Hard to say. With so many changes, and our striving to make BI work with as many mods as possible, I had to take time off for a while. I believed we were pretty much ready for release, but in the meantime we've received some feedback from other modders and still have to address the issues they've raised. So it probably will still need some time, but I do hope that we can release the update this year. :-D

New response