Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
a month ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i [Implemented] Fluid fertilizer [TODO] Big Gardens

3 years ago

Im having FPS/UPS problems by how much pollution my factory produces. because all chunks active.
1,7k bio gardens, all with modules and beacons, do almost nothing to contain a 30GW factory pollution.
Its possible to make a Big Garden or a Big "tree", or something to absorb more pollution? like, 100x more than the Bio Garden?
Also, can i suggest a fluid "water+fertilizar"? getting rid of belts and inserters would be very nice.

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! Big garden and water + fertilizer both sound interesting, but that's definitely something I won't have time to work on before the Factorio 1.0 release …

Regarding water + fertilizer: that still wouldn't allow you to get rid of belts + inserters completely! You'd still need belts and inserters for feeding the Bio nurseries/farms with seeds/seedlings, though, and definitely for output (seeds/seedlings, wood/wood pulp can't be fluids). I also see some problems with early production: The basic recipes require just water, the next step is using ash as fertilizer. Even if we made a recipe for just one fertilizer fluid (perhaps mixing water with ash, fertilizer or advanced fertilizer in the bio reactor, and output would be just more of the fluid in shorter time), there still would be problems with using the same pipelines for different fluids. So, you'd have to make sure to flush all pipes before changing from basic to more advanced production …

3 years ago

I wasnt thinking on changing the current metod or getting rid of belts completely, just adding a secondary recipe.... and the main target was the bio gardens. Small changes, nothing big.
With hidden poles on the gardens, would be very easy to just spread a lot of gardens to control pollution.
About a big garden or something, i can make something and send you, i just suck on creating sprites, if i do something, i will use some tree sprites from the game or other mod, merge and create something that resembles the idea.

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

I wasnt thinking on changing the current metod or getting rid of belts completely, just adding a secondary recipe.... and the main target was the bio gardens. Small changes, nothing big.

Even small changes are big in BI, with all the testing needed for different configurations … :-)

I've added fluid fertilizers for the next version. They can only be used with Bio Gardens because it makes most sense there (when solid fertilizer + water are replaced with fluid fertilizer, belts and inserters aren't needed at all -- the other recipes still require these for other ingredients).

With hidden poles on the gardens, would be very easy to just spread a lot of gardens to control pollution.

I don't really like the idea of hidden poles here because you can't see what is connected. Solar panels would be an idea to make the Bio gardens independent, but they come too late in the research tree to be used as ingredient in Bio Gardens, and I also can't imagine a cozy garden with solar cells standing around.

(After a night's sleep on this: Hidden poles are probably the way to go. They would be cheaty, but fluid fertilizer is already cheaty, so why not go all the way? So, I plan to always add hidden poles to the gardens, but make their wire reach 0 unless the option for fluid fertilizers is active. Would that be OK with you?)

About a big garden or something, i can make something and send you, i just suck on creating sprites, if i do something, i will use some tree sprites from the game or other mod, merge and create something that resembles the idea.

If you still want to do that, please go ahead! If you can provide some nice graphics, it shouldn't be that hard to define a bigger garden! :-)

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

Please try out version 0.18.32/1.1.2 -- and a happy new year!

3 years ago

After the update, the garden is really easy. Why not directly change the garden into the same front and back connection as the steam engine? So we don't have to build pipes.

Pi-C ☆
3 years ago

After the update, the garden is really easy.

Only if you actively change the setting, it's off by default because I feel it's a bit cheaty for normal use.

Why not directly change the garden into the same front and back connection as the steam engine? So we don't have to build pipes.

Why don't you try Assembler Pipe Passthrough? :-)

New response