Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
a month ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Nerfing trains on wooden rails

Pi-C ☆
5 years ago

Your mod introduces wooden rails that can be upgraded to normal ones. Are there any differences in using the different rails? What would be the incentive to upgrade to steel-and-concrete rails? Is there a gain in speed, or is it just that wooden rails have less health points?

Among other mods, I also have Cargo Ships and Honk installed. Cargo Ships disguises trains as boats or ships, in automatic mode, these drive on rails disguised as "water ways", they follow rail signals /rail chain signals disguised as buoys, and they stop at train stations disguised as ports. Honk lets trains honk their horn when they drive into a station or approach signals; unfortunately, ships play the same sound when entering a port or approaching a buoy. This led me to the idea that, perhaps, Honk could play different sounds based on the type of rail a "train" drives on. While I originally only thought of the ships, it occurred to me that it would make sense if a different type of sound was played for trains on wooden rails.

I imagine that when you are using wooden rails for your train network, you do so because you're not yet advanced enough in technology to afford the real ones. However, if you can't afford even the rails, why should you be able to afford advanced rolling stock? So, how about introducing primitive locomotives and wagons (perhaps cargo wagons only, not fluid wagons) that don't cost as much, can only be fueled with wood, charcoal or coal, go much slower, and carry less weight than normal trains. These primitive trains should be able to travel on normal rails (the incentive to use normal trains would be higher speed and more cargo per wagon), but normal trains should not be able to drive on wooden rails. That would be more fitting to the early-stage scenario set up by Bio Industries, and it would give people a reason to upgrade their rail network.

Do you think it would sense to implement something like that -- and do you think you could do it? :-)

5 years ago

I wish Wooden rails could be slower than Concrete rails, but unfortunately Factorio does not support that.
So for right now, very little difference, besides the materials used.

Pi-C ☆
5 years ago

Just found Train Speed Limiter. It's not yet updated to 0.17 yet (the author will work on it), but it looks like the combination Bio Industries + Junk Train + Train Speed Limiter could just be what I've been asking for. :-)

4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I would suggest adding the train speed info to the home screen summary. I wouldn't have upgraded hundreds of rails ;-).
I love your mod. No need to leave this green planet now ;-)

New response