Bio Industries

Provides useful buildings and items, like the Bio Farm for growing trees. Solar Farm and Large Accumulator to make your electric setup easier. Bio Fuel section to produce organic plastic and batteries. Lots of New Wood Products, like the big electric pole, wooden pipes, dart turret. Plant trees using seedlings. Change terrain from deserts to grasslands using Fertilizer - helps trees grow better. And a lot more… Please visit the homepage on the forums for more information and feedback.

Content
6 months ago
0.14 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Ideas to improve the mod

6 years ago

Before anything else, I want to say that Bio Industries is one of my favorite mods and I really like the production of biofuels

Recently I tested the finite fluids option and I think it is a good idea to be able to prospect for fluids anywhere you need them but the production rate of water is quite low compared to consumption of boilers and heat exchangers.

It was a real challenge get enough water for my boilers and build a nuclear plant would be close to impossible. Trying to overcome the water challenge I rushed desalinization and found out I didn't have enough pellet-coke for this (I did not have advanced fertilizer yet) and crushed stone started to pile up really fast

I think we should have a way to get the amount of water required for steam production, maybe a research to make boilers and heat exchangers consume saline water instead of pure water
Also, we need a way to get rid of the excess of crushed stone from the desalinization process (maybe a landfill recipe?)

About the desalinization process using pellet-coke, it looks like we are using fuel to distill the water. Maybe we could use a more efficient process like reverse osmosis do you know how it works?

Anyway thanks for this great mod

6 years ago

CyberWizard, THANKS so much for your feedback on the infinity option. I've not gotten any and needed some input.

I think I'll have to work on a way to help out with the early steam power, but once you can do nuclear, you should be able to produce enough pellet-coke to clean water, via tree growing and converting or changing coal.

I agree that I need to get rid of that crushed stone, I added a larger wooden chest just for that purpose :), but need to find some more recipes :)

Let me mill over your input and please feel free to suggest more as you think of it!

6 years ago

I just made a test with the infinity option
I turned it on after some time playing with it off and here's the result:

I made a desalinization complex with 32 chemical plant 4 (bob assembling machines) and it was able to produce 134K water per minute and was consuming 13.4k pellet-coke per min

My nuclear reactor (8 reactors design), when it's on, uses 450K water p/ min, if it were on all the time I would need over 100 chemical plants and consume 45K pellet coke p/ min

Sorry about this but it's a bit too much for me, infinity option will be turned off again it's really a shame cause I really liked the prospecting option

I made a bit of research about the desalination process and got an idea, how about a 2 stages purification process?

1) Filtration: Using charcoal + saline water would give dirty charcoal + purified salt water this salt water would be used for steam production and the dirty charcoal could be used to produce ash. This is a simple filtration process and would give A LOT of water maybe 2 or 3 chemical plants filtering all the output of an offshore pump

2) Reverse osmosis: Using a plastic membrane + purified salt water would give pure water. This is a much slower process, requiring 4-6 chemical plants per filtration plant, and would give all the water required for the rest of the factory it's also an imperfect process with pure water output been only 50% of the salt water input, this is a realistic ratio and would make the player have to decide between desalination and prospecting

Since we are not distilling the water this whole process would not give salt(crushed stone) as a byproduct it would be eliminated with the concentrate (the remaining salt water)

About the early game water production, we could make natural sources of water and shallow wells produced by the early game technology give more water per second (you don't have to pump it from so deep after all) I think that this can be done by reducing mining hardness

Changing the subject, Now that I have bio-reactors I'm trying to live without oil, but the production of rocket fuel uses a lot of solid fuel and the 34 bio-reactors-facility I made is no match for the rocket fuel production and I was thinking it would be nice to have a rocket fuel recipe from pellet-coke, maybe with a bit of algae-biomass to glue the pellets together

Another possible idea would be a more efficient bio-reactor, so how about this idea: A LARGE bio-reactor, maybe 9X9 like the bio-farm, and since it's 9 times bigger than the original bio-reactor it would be 9 or 10 times faster and maybe with space for a few modules like the bio-farm

6 years ago

Okay, the next update should help. Added one more water purifying recipe.
Upped the water you get from mining.

Will release soon.

New response