BioTech

Produce science packs and rocket parts using biological and renewable materials

Content
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Apologies for the delay, .14 testing thoughts...

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Apologies for the testing delay, WoW Legion, you understand. Anywho, I just have some thoughts of the current .14 state of things I'd like to throw out there: (I'm only at green science packs at the moment, I'll probably add more to this post in future.)

1- I feel carbon is in a good place now, considering it used to make 1 at a time. However, I feel wood production is a bit too strong. Now granted, I'm not auto-crafting the artificial panels yet or anything, but considering my whole base at the moment has one tiny wood set-up and 5 large carbon ones does say something. Not to mention the set-ups other mods use to produce wood of the same amount take 10-20 times more space XD. I suggest making wood need 2 cellulose so it's on par with carbon production, and also gets the same bang-for-your-buck-relief when you move on to upgraded solar panels.

2- Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the artificial solar panels only supposed to take power to run at night? And I didn't think they were capable of producing power at all, just the sugar solution? The later I mentioned in my .13 testing post, and if anything it seems to have gotten worse. If this is working as intended, just ignore per usual.

3- Back to the artificial panels, holy cow, that power drain. Unless it's role-play-ok to use steam engines stuffed with carbon instead of coal to power your base, making 250 (not a total exaggeration) wind turbines to last me until I research solar panels is... quite the expectation.

An example, my minimalistic base has a 6 lab set-up using your science pack methods and a bob's set-up for making tier 2 circuits, which isn't even running anymore. I have 4-12 panel set-ups for carbon and 1-12 panel for wood. With only my lab researching set-up drawing power, the panels are taking, combined, as much power as the rest of my base, at about 2.7 MW. For tier 1 panels, this could easily be considered way too high for some, especially those who use only wind turbines.

Wood is indeed a bit strong. I matched the fuel values. Coal and carbon have a fuel value four times higher. That's probably too high for just general wood production.

The panels can operate completely independent without power connection. That was the intention. At night there is a huge drain on power, as you are actually replacing the power of the sun with your own electricity production, and I put this at the same level as a normal solar panel for a photosynthesis panel. Keeping it producing at night is only advisable when you have nuclear stations or something. I actually never checked the power drain during the day as I never link the panels to power. But the scripting doesn't allow me as far as I know to disconnect the panels from the grid entirely, which I would prefer. But I'll check for zero drain during the day at least.

I did gave the carbon fuel value so it's possible to use them in burners for the steam engine. That is convenient in early game. For more realism, it should indeed be a very large surface area but I felt that kinda ruins the fun by lowering the panel output.

7 years ago

Yeah, I can definetly confirm the solar panels take as much power to run at night to run during the day, as if they were a legit machine instead of a pseudo solar panel.

I never even thought of burning wood planks, and was referring solely to the crafting recipe (which I'm pretty sure you got, just wanted to make sure). I've done a bit more testing, playing around with set-ups that use tier 2 panels, and I, even more so than before, feel it should take 2 cellulose to 3 planks, as it does for carbon. Considering the, roughly, same amout of space it took to make 6 wood planks per operation, with advanced panels, now makes 24, is kinda crazy, and that's with pumping these planks into panel auto-crafting set-ups as well as green science packs.

New response