BioTech

Produce science packs and rocket parts using biological and renewable materials

Content
3 years ago
0.13 - 1.1
Manufacturing

i Testing Analysis

7 years ago

Just a quick update for now: Hopefully in the next day or two I can give a full report of my findings for fixes / balancing. I just got to blue science packs and I am working on balancing that chain, as well as completely removing carbon from my network other than pack making (trying to avoid using coal as little as possible for the extra challenge / RP(?)).

P.S.: Love the new 1.3 graphics. ^^

You can use the Electric Furnace mod. It gives you early game electric smelting so a lot more coal can be avoided. I also use a wooden belt mod to use less iron, but that one mod hasn't been officially released for 13.

7 years ago
(updated 7 years ago)

Ok, I've managed to play around with the blue pack chain, and although I haven't tried to make a rocket yet I'll cover some notes I've made so far:

1- If this mod is played with other mods (notably bobs / angels mods), the fact that carbon is 3 times stronger than coal (25mj vs 8 mj respectively) might be considered overpowered.

2- Occasionally I notice the photo-synthesis panels appear on the power producing tab, listed as an actual solar panel, it doesn't last forever, just blips here and there. Not sure if this is a glitch of some kind or somehow intended.

3- On the subject of panels, you might wanna add some white flavor text stating you can power the panels to run at night. I know the red power symbol flashes when it is dark out, but for the longest while I just assumed it was an indication it wasn't working cause there was no sun: After all, it is technically a solar panel.

4- Not exactly an issue, but I found it a little odd how one sand burner could practically keep up with 2 furnace-to-glass set-ups. Perhaps lower the speed so it equals the bog-standard 1-to-1 burner to furnace ratio.

5- You might wanna consider giving your glass a different name variant/ icon. If, again, you play with bobs / angels mods, the fact that your glass is practically the same in both departments but doesn't fulfill those mods crafting requirements could prove annoying.

6- For the green chain, the wood requirement for the table, considering the current system for making wood, is too high. perhaps lower it to 4 instead of 6, or see note 8 and see how things play out.

7- For the blue chain, for a one machine-for-end-product set-up, it took nearly 5 fiber optics factories to maintain. Now granted, all you need for that is silica, and sand is sooooo easy to get / cook en-masse, but that seems a bit intense. Again, not really an issue, but some might consider it as such.

8- I feel both carbon and wood production chains could be buffed. My testing concluded that it took roughly 12 photo-synth. panels, 2 Cellulose and 1 bio reactor for either carbon or wood to get maximum up-time. taking into account how your production chains are, and considering I wasn't trying to mass produce items either, it would've taken nearly 2 to 3 DOZEN of these 19 X 14 set-ups just for the production chain, let alone rocket parts or other factory dealings. I would suggest changing the amounts produced from the end products, so that you get 2 carbon / wood per process instead of one.

That's it for now, I'll keep playing my current test map and see about getting to the rocket chain so I can let you know how that feels.

The panels can indeed be powered at night, but it was not intentionally. I had to hide a small solar panel in there or they couldn't operate independently and required electricity. I'll have to look into better code for that.

You're right about the fuel value. It would be better to produce more cellulose/carbon with the same fuel value as coal per turn, and more wood. And use less fiber optics.

New response