Better-Q

by Skorpa

Better-Q is a simple Mod that layers additional functionality over the in-game Pipette ('Q') function.

Tweaks
3 years ago
0.17 - 0.18

i Auto placing inserters and the first block of pipes.

3 years ago

When placing smelting zone. Usually I place furnaces first, and then belts. And then, the disaster comes, inserters and poles. I have to say, Inserters should be placed automatically.
1 F F
F F 2
1 and 2 are inserters, in and out, F represents furnace. When I place the furnace, I would like some aiding tool to place the 2 inserters automatically for me. Also the same for assemblers.
A A A
1 A A A 2
A A A
And even oil refinary
R R R R R 3
1 R R R R R

R R R R R 4
2 R R R R R

_ R R R R R 5
1 and 3 are pipes. 2,4,5 are underground pipes.

In this way 2/3 of building time is saved. And this brings peace to internet games. I talked this idea to my bros before, but I didn't know the api could do this.

3 years ago

Hi YagaoDirac,

While what you are looking to do may certainly be possible to program as a mod, it is unfortunately beyond the scope of this mod. I hope you still enjoy the mod with its current, albeit limited, implementation. Thank you for the feedback!

3 years ago

You are welcome. I'm still on learning the modding scripting.
btw. the typesetting doesn't work. It removed some symbols and spaces. If x represents space or void, the first one should look like:
1 F F x
x F F 2
the second:
x A A A x
1 A A A 2
x A A A x
It should be better now.
OK, anyway, I'll keep up learning scripting.

3 years ago

YagaoDirac,

I believe you could accomplish what you are looking for with relative ease. You could wait for an event such as "on_built_entity", see: https://lua-api.factorio.com/latest/events.html#on_built_entity

You could then utilize "cursor_stack.set_stack" and "build_from_cursor". There may be some complications setting up who's cursor, what itesms, and what off-sets/location to build. But it should certainly be doable.

Ultimately, however, I feel such an automated building script would be more of a headache than it would be worth -- blueprints would solve 2/3 of the problem with 1/3 of the headache. Best of luck either way!

3 years ago

Thanks. By the way, I evaluated the blueprint system as a fetching up to its bad parts of game design and balancing. I really appreciate a game well designed which doesn't force people to need the blueprint system.
Good luck.

New response